Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default when will I learn...

....needed some plastering doing recently and as I'm useless at
plastering I gave someone a ring out of the local paper (again!!).
When will I learn?! Anway, seemed to know what he was talking about
so I gave him the job, 4 rooms and he quoted £1900. He's done 2 of
the rooms now. 1 is ok (ish) but the 2nd he put plaster on existing
plaster which had some paint on and the plaster he's put on has
refused to bond and simply comes off. He's been at this room he says
for 3 days. Anyway today he says all the plaster needs to come off -
the original and the stuff he's put on. And he's quoting another
£400! And has not adjusted his original quote. The guy obviously
isn't experienced and I feel as if I'm paying for his own mistake in
not taking the plaster off in the first place. What are peoples take
on this? Would you expect to pay extra in a situation like this?

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

So pay him £900 for the two rooms and get someone in thats cheaper.

Wow! £400 a room...I'm in the wrong game.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-08 21:35:42 +0100, said:

[...]

I think that there is only one person being taken here unfortunately.

If he's plastering on unsound surfaces he really doesn't know what he's
doing. "ish" isn't good enough. At these prices, it should be
nothing short of excellent.

I think that there are two choices.

1) Show the guy the door now and agree the lowest price you can to get
rid of him. Start from zero and work up to a figure not exceeding
£300 (for the first room). Employ somebody who does know what they
are doing.

2) Hold him to the original figure. Frankly that's too much anyway.

I'd pick (1), show him the door offering him a very small amount for
his materials and time. Photograph the result and let him sue you
for the rest.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Oct, 21:42, "George" wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...
[...]

No, the issue is that the 2nd room that he's done needs to be started
again. So I won't be paying £400 for that room. It will be £800 for
that room as he wants paying another £400 to re-do it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

I'd pick (1), show him the door offering him a very small amount for his
materials and time. Photograph the result and let him sue you for the
rest.

I agrre with this statement, but only offer him for the materials as he has
clearly wasted his (and your) time. Then post his name/company on here so
we don't use him!!

HTH

John

P.S. Where are you? You might get a good recommendation from here!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 21:58:46 +0100, Andy Hall

On 2007-10-08 21:35:42 +0100, said:

[...]

Definitely this (1). He can't expect you to pay him extra because he
did it wrong the first time!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Junior Member

On Oct 8, 9:35 pm, wrote:
[...]

I know an excellent plasterer who i used to help out as a labourer
during my hols. He would get 4 rooms done in a day no problem and no-
where near the cost you have been quoted (not unless your rooms are
exceptionally large). If you are skimming over a wall that has been
painted you should apply a coat of unibond first, did he do this ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I know an excellent plasterer who i used to help out as a labourer
during my hols. He would get 4 rooms done in a day no problem and no-
where near the cost you have been quoted (not unless your rooms are
exceptionally large). If you are skimming over a wall that has been
painted you should apply a coat of unibond first, did he do this ?

To be fair the other quotes I received (3 in total) were around the
same price so I didn't mind the price although maybe I have been
ripped off. Yep, he unibonded. Claims that something was still
eeking through and taking the plaster off. Ectoplasm maybe.... Oh
well he's nearly finished now. Can't wait to be rid!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-10 21:06:23 +0100, said:

I know an excellent plasterer who i used to help out as a labourer
during my hols. He would get 4 rooms done in a day no problem and no-
where near the cost you have been quoted (not unless your rooms are
exceptionally large). If you are skimming over a wall that has been
painted you should apply a coat of unibond first, did he do this ?

To be fair the other quotes I received (3 in total) were around the
same price so I didn't mind the price although maybe I have been
ripped off. Yep, he unibonded. Claims that something was still
eeking through and taking the plaster off. Ectoplasm maybe.... Oh
well he's nearly finished now. Can't wait to be rid!

There's one born every minute.....

In what respect andy?

Looking to Learn PEX [email protected] Home Repair 22 February 28th 07 08:25 PM
LEARN HOW TO WELD plumbcrazy UK diy 1 January 21st 06 06:33 PM
LEARN HOW TO WELD plumbcrazy Metalworking 0 January 21st 06 05:42 AM