Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default One of my mains taps has stopped flowing - what?

This is an odd one (to me at least!) We have 3 taps downstairs which
are suppplied from the mains. Suddenly the one in the kitchen has gone
to a dribble. The others flow normally.
What has happened? I can see no sign of anything wrong, no one has
turned off the valve on the supply pipe to this tap. Sometimes no
water emerges at all; other times, just a little. There are no signs
of any leaks/bursts at all.
I am unsure as to what the explanation might be. Can any kind expert
help please?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"Mikeyboy" wrote in message
oups.com...
This is an odd one (to me at least!) We have 3 taps downstairs which
are suppplied from the mains. Suddenly the one in the kitchen has gone
to a dribble. The others flow normally.
What has happened? I can see no sign of anything wrong, no one has
turned off the valve on the supply pipe to this tap. Sometimes no
water emerges at all; other times, just a little. There are no signs
of any leaks/bursts at all.
I am unsure as to what the explanation might be. Can any kind expert
help please?

not an expert but I have seen taps where although the top appears to be
turning the tap on the inside is not moving

isolate and dismantle

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Oct, 20:39, "TMC" wrote:
"Mikeyboy" wrote in message

oups.com...

This is an odd one (to me at least!) We have 3 taps downstairs which
are suppplied from the mains. Suddenly the one in the kitchen has gone
to a dribble. The others flow normally.
What has happened? I can see no sign of anything wrong, no one has
turned off the valve on the supply pipe to this tap. Sometimes no
water emerges at all; other times, just a little. There are no signs
of any leaks/bursts at all.
I am unsure as to what the explanation might be. Can any kind expert
help please?

not an expert but I have seen taps where although the top appears to be
turning the tap on the inside is not moving

isolate and dismantle

Tony

Yes thanks Tony that had vaguely occurred to me. I can try that!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 19:18:37 UTC, Mikeyboy
wrote:

This is an odd one (to me at least!) We have 3 taps downstairs which
are suppplied from the mains. Suddenly the one in the kitchen has gone
to a dribble. The others flow normally.
What has happened? I can see no sign of anything wrong, no one has
turned off the valve on the supply pipe to this tap. Sometimes no
water emerges at all; other times, just a little. There are no signs
of any leaks/bursts at all.
I am unsure as to what the explanation might be. Can any kind expert
help please?

Washer broken up inside and jammed on the seat?

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y
DIY DIY is offline

"Mikeyboy" wrote:
This is an odd one (to me at least!) We have 3 taps downstairs which
are suppplied from the mains. Suddenly the one in the kitchen has gone
to a dribble. The others flow normally.
What has happened? I can see no sign of anything wrong, no one has
turned off the valve on the supply pipe to this tap. Sometimes no
water emerges at all; other times, just a little. There are no signs
of any leaks/bursts at all.
I am unsure as to what the explanation might be. Can any kind expert
help please?

If this tap is the conventional rubber washer/jumper variety the problem you
describe can be caused by the small brass circlip coming off the spindle so
that the tap handle turns but it doesn't raise the jumper/washer off its
seat properly. If you remove the handle and then the bell shaped cover you
can see if the clip has come out of its groove on the spindle. The next
thing to check is whether the jumper has come unscrewed, and the condition
of the washer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

This is an odd one (to me at least!) We have 3 taps downstairs which
are suppplied from the mains. Suddenly the one in the kitchen has gone
to a dribble. The others flow normally.
What has happened? I can see no sign of anything wrong, no one has
turned off the valve on the supply pipe to this tap. Sometimes no
water emerges at all; other times, just a little. There are no signs
of any leaks/bursts at all.
I am unsure as to what the explanation might be. Can any kind expert
help please?

Washer broken up inside and jammed on the seat?

http://www.diybanter.com

Often caused by heavy handed users - the washer gets squashed into the hole
in the seating.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

This is an odd one (to me at least!) We have 3 taps downstairs which
are suppplied from the mains. Suddenly the one in the kitchen has gone
to a dribble. The others flow normally.
What has happened? I can see no sign of anything wrong, no one has
turned off the valve on the supply pipe to this tap. Sometimes no
water emerges at all; other times, just a little. There are no signs
of any leaks/bursts at all.
I am unsure as to what the explanation might be. Can any kind expert
help please?

Washer broken up inside and jammed on the seat?

That would be my guess. It almost certainly has to be the tap.