Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tiles from Hell!

Last week I was working for possibly the most disorganised woman in the
world, she had just bought a nice town house to let it out. Top end of the
market. Loads of jobs over 3 days, sinks, worktops, hobs, banisters,
lights, hanging pictures etc. I'm on a strictly hourly rate.

Day 1. I had the kitchen ripped out, water off. Two people painting walls.
Carpet cleaner turned up to clean all the carpets! He arranged to come
back.

Day 2. Kitchen being re installed, mid morning floor fitter turns up to lay
vinyl in 2 bathrooms, downstairs cloak & kitchen. Send him upstairs &
enlist aid of woman's dopey BIL to clear kitchen. Carry on with other jobs
whilst floor laid in kitchen.

Day 3. Carpet cleaner returns AM. Enlist aid of dopey BIL again to move
appliances out of diner back into kitchen whilst carpet cleaner starts
upstairs. Carpet cleaner finishes, Man arrives to install Sky TV. Has to
walk over 3 x damp carpets to do so. Telecom man arrives to install
Broadband, walks over damp carpets again.

My last job (not told about it until mid day 3) is to install 6 x handrails
on stairs whilst stair carpet still damp.

Emergency call on Sunday PM, toilet on second floor (boxed in, concealed
cistern) flooding when flushed. Arrive Monday PM to find dopey BIL has
tiled all over it. Dopey BIL hasn't primed with PVA so tiles fortunately
easy to remove. Replace cistern. Carpets now look like sh*t due to half a
dozen tradesmen tramping all over them.

She wanted a downstairs cloak & an en suite tiled, but I turned it down as
being too big a job. She also had clients moving in by tomorrow!

She got her dopey BIL to do the tiling.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...20from%20Hell/
(best viewed as slideshow).

Mind you, she paid the bill, so mustn't grumble!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

She got her dopey BIL to do the tiling.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...20from%20Hell/
(best viewed as slideshow).

Mind you, she paid the bill, so mustn't grumble!

OMG - that HAS to be the worst tiling job ever!!!

Was that classed as finished!?!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sparks wrote:
She got her dopey BIL to do the tiling.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...20from%20Hell/
(best viewed as slideshow).

Mind you, she paid the bill, so mustn't grumble!

OMG - that HAS to be the worst tiling job ever!!!

Was that classed as finished!?!

Alas it was :-(

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

She got her dopey BIL to do the tiling.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...20from%20Hell/
(best viewed as slideshow).

OMG! I know its like laughing at the afflicted, but....

Still you should get a nice few call outs fixing the disaster that the
first use of the shower will precipitate. ;-)

Mmmm classy:

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...Image021-1.jpg

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Sparks" wrote in message

She got her dopey BIL to do the tiling.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...20from%20Hell/
(best viewed as slideshow).

Mind you, she paid the bill, so mustn't grumble!

OMG - that HAS to be the worst tiling job ever!!!

Was that classed as finished!?!

What makes people think they can improve upon a simple bathroom suite
(pedestal, etc)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mmmm classy:
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...Image021-1.jpg

Damn, that even makes _me_ look like i've got a clue (although i'll
leave that open to the group if and when the bathroom gets done...)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

She got her dopey BIL to do the tiling.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...20from%20Hell/
(best viewed as slideshow).

A bit more grout should do it.

BIL = built in lover?

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:
She got her dopey BIL to do the tiling.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...20from%20Hell/
(best viewed as slideshow).

A bit more grout should do it.

BIL = built in lover?

http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-quer...d&string=exact

First one :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
[...]

By the looks of that BIL must have been workig in Carlisle also for a
landlord who my daughter used to rent a house off

--
the_constructor

Don't tip it, recycle it. Join your local group.

http://freecycle.org/display.php?reg...ited%20Kingdom

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DM DM is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Sparks wrote:
She got her dopey BIL to do the tiling.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...20from%20Hell/
(best viewed as slideshow).

Mind you, she paid the bill, so mustn't grumble!

OMG - that HAS to be the worst tiling job ever!!!

Was that classed as finished!?!

Alas it was :-(

You may be right but it is incredibly hard to believe,surely even an
incompetent dopey BIL would make it look marginally better by judicious use
of some grout.

I wouldn't want to take on any job to sort this out.. looks like it
requires the shower to be re-installed as well to make it look anything like
acceptable,and of course all the tiling done again.. it's going to be a
bigger job than the original one.

(Making up the bits I don't know about)... sounds like the BIL has been
pressed into doing these jobs as she can't get anyone else to do them in
time.. she's appears to be the major dopey incompetent arse in this story
(by the way it's generally bad form to bad mouth clients in public forums...
unless it's anonymous of course :-)) A case of watching too many DIY bodge
ups on the TV and reckoning it's an easy game...

cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Town house, upper end of the market you say? clientel wont be moving in. :-)

Question: was the woman on site when BIL was tiling the bathroom? I cannot
believe she would allow BIL to continue doing the tiling if she was.

Disorganised is not the appropriate word,try braindead

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote

She wanted a downstairs cloak & an en suite tiled, but I turned it down as
being too big a job. She also had clients moving in by tomorrow!

She got her dopey BIL to do the tiling.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...20from%20Hell/
(best viewed as slideshow).

Thanks for sharing!
Makes all my tiling efforts appear better than professional grade .
How can anyone do this and then walk away? It must be blatently obvious to
even the numptiest of numpties that this is sooooo far below acceptable
standard!
As others have said though, plenty more work coming your way when they start
using the facilities and tiles start dropping.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 11:47:17 UTC, "TheScullster"
wrote:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote
She wanted a downstairs cloak & an en suite tiled, but I turned it down as
being too big a job. She also had clients moving in by tomorrow!

She got her dopey BIL to do the tiling.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...20from%20Hell/
(best viewed as slideshow).

Thanks for sharing!
Makes all my tiling efforts appear better than professional grade .
How can anyone do this and then walk away? It must be blatently obvious to
even the numptiest of numpties that this is sooooo far below acceptable
standard!

Unless BIL is in fact far from numpty and is just ensuring he never gets
asked again...

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
Town house, upper end of the market you say? clientel wont be moving
in. :-)

Question: was the woman on site when BIL was tiling the bathroom? I
cannot believe she would allow BIL to continue doing the tiling if
she was.

Believe it or not, she actually helped him with the grouting!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
George wrote:
Town house, upper end of the market you say? clientel wont be moving
in. :-)

Question: was the woman on site when BIL was tiling the bathroom? I
cannot believe she would allow BIL to continue doing the tiling if
she was.

Believe it or not, she actually helped him with the grouting!

God save us from the Beeny wannabees. Mortgaged to the hilt with
Northern Rock I expect

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Sep, 22:23, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

She got her dopey BIL to do the tiling.
http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2.../Tiles%20from%...

Please, tell us you faked those just for the photos.

I just don't want to believe that work _so_ incompetent still happens.
8-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sparks wrote:
She got her dopey BIL to do the tiling.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...20from%20Hell/
(best viewed as slideshow).

Mind you, she paid the bill, so mustn't grumble!

OMG - that HAS to be the worst tiling job ever!!!

Was that classed as finished!?!

Alas it was :-(

You have made my day. Brilliant photos.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

She got her dopey BIL to do the tiling.
http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2.../Tiles%20from%...

Please, tell us you faked those just for the photos.

I just don't want to believe that work _so_ incompetent still happens.
8-(

Truly amazing !! 'Dopey' seems an understatement :-)

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

She got her dopey BIL to do the tiling.
http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2.../Tiles%20from%...

Please, tell us you faked those just for the photos.

Alas not. Its tiling Jim, but not as we know it.

I just don't want to believe that work _so_ incompetent still happens.
8-(

Said lady has just bought a shop in Rochester High Street (v trendy). She
has booked me for two days to help fit it out. When I saw her yesterday she
told me she had decided to tile the floor.

I told her it was a big job. It's OK she said - I'll get my brother in law
to help you..............

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You may be right but it is incredibly hard to believe,surely even an
incompetent dopey BIL would make it look marginally better by judicious
use of some grout.

Maybe BIL is being shrewd and it is just a tactic to advoid being asked in
the future.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
Town house, upper end of the market you say? clientel wont be moving
in. :-)

Question: was the woman on site when BIL was tiling the bathroom? I
cannot believe she would allow BIL to continue doing the tiling if
she was.

Believe it or not, she actually helped him with the grouting!

I'm suprised that her guidedog didn't bite him.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 20:03:16 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I told her it was a big job. It's OK she said - I'll get my brother in
law to help you..............

I bet you never knew you could run so fast ;-)

--
John Stumbles

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I told her it was a big job. It's OK she said - I'll get my brother in law
to help you..............

Do you suppose he would end up asking why you have had him carry the
same box of tiles to and from the van 20 times? ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 10:56:33 +0100, DM wrote:

A case of watching too many DIY bodge ups on the TV and reckoning it's
an easy game...

Aye, "bodge up" being the right words. TV hides a multitude of sins as
anyone who has seen a set that has been in use for more than a week. It
may look good on screen but what you can't see is the taped and painted
joins, the dings and scrapes, the grubby hand marks, etc, etc. If real
hi-def TV ever makes it to the ordinary viewer(*) it could be a real eye
opener and a right PIAT when shooting.

(*) Currently the delivery system mangles real hi-def back down to
standard def for the consumer.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-27 21:10:42 +0100, "Dave Liquorice" said:

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 10:56:33 +0100, DM wrote:

A case of watching too many DIY bodge ups on the TV and reckoning it's
an easy game...

Aye, "bodge up" being the right words. TV hides a multitude of sins as
anyone who has seen a set that has been in use for more than a week. It
may look good on screen but what you can't see is the taped and painted
joins, the dings and scrapes, the grubby hand marks, etc, etc. If real
hi-def TV ever makes it to the ordinary viewer(*) it could be a real eye
opener and a right PIAT when shooting.

(*) Currently the delivery system mangles real hi-def back down to
standard def for the consumer.

You're OK for a bit though. TVs still have crappy speakers, so nobody
can hear the paper shuffling and nose picking.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
(*) Currently the delivery system mangles real hi-def back down to
standard def for the consumer.

You're OK for a bit though. TVs still have crappy speakers, so
nobody can hear the paper shuffling and nose picking.

Or the News24 presenters having a quick widdle into a chamber pot
under the desk ...

Makes me think of David Niven and The Moon's a Balloon!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 22:05:15 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

You're OK for a bit though. TVs still have crappy speakers, so nobody
can hear the paper shuffling and nose picking.

TV's are an awful lot better than they were. Anyway all the talk and
though is now about doing things in 5.1. The News in 5.1?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Ceramica Global - worldwide wall tiles and floor tiles catalogues Ceramica Global Home Ownership 0 November 29th 06 12:35 PM
new tiles over existing tiles in outdoor water fountain [email protected] Home Repair 3 October 2nd 06 04:44 PM
2x4 from hell! John DeBoo Woodworking 6 June 8th 05 10:56 PM
RCD Hell diynovice UK diy 3 February 1st 05 08:30 PM
Laying floor tiles on old lino/vinyl tiles Steve UK diy 4 September 28th 03 08:41 PM