Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default moving electricity supply cable

I will need to have the electricity supply cable moved on my latest
project at some stage as the planned extension will be in the way. Who
is responsible for this and how do I go about getting it done?

If anyone has had this done what was the cost and lead times as well.

Cheers

Martin
--
Martin Carroll
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phone your billing company, and they will tell you who to contact - in
my case EDF.

Only the "wires" company can do work on the suppliers side of the
meter (though you, or whoever, can do the excavations if it's an
underground cable).

Lead times not too bad in my case, 1 week or so to get the proposed
work assessed, 1 more to get it done. (I had to pay upfront after the
assessment).

Expect to be robbed. And I mean robbed, far worse than you can
possibly imagine.

Mine was estimated at £400 - and even after pressing them about it
twice, I only got it down to £300 - for literally 25 leisurely minutes
work to move the supply termination just 1.5m by shortening the
cables.

I hear that sort of daylight robbery is not uncommon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Carroll" wrote in message
I will need to have the electricity supply cable moved on my latest
project at some stage as the planned extension will be in the way. Who
is responsible for this and how do I go about getting it done?

If anyone has had this done what was the cost and lead times as well.

My experience was good, in the end! The utility company were useless but I
just asked the builder, who has it done all the time. He had the mobile
number of the actual bloke in the van who does the work, who came sorted all
the office paperwork out as well. Trust the builder first! They ran mine in
a pipe up through the roof of the extension and back out to join its old
run.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I will need to have the electricity supply cable moved on my latest
project at some stage as the planned extension will be in the way. Who
is responsible for this and how do I go about getting it done?

The cable is owned by whoever the REC is, not necessarily the supplier
(the one you pay the bill to).

If anyone has had this done what was the cost and lead times as well.

It varies - in the Manweb area you're looking at ~6-8 weeks from start
to finish for a domestic service alt if there are no problems like
wayleaves, the cost depending on what work is involved.

Payment is pretty much always up-front, as there was a ruling by OFGEM
that a supply can't be removed for non-payment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I will also need the telephone connection moving, are they similarly
overpriced?

I would just diy that. Electricity supply side is live working and
unfused - if something did go wrong it could be serious - simply
moving telephone wiring isn't such a big deal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 23:22:29 -0700, wrote:

snip

Expect to be robbed. And I mean robbed, far worse than you can
possibly imagine.

Mine was estimated at £400 - and even after pressing them about it
twice, I only got it down to £300 - for literally 25 leisurely minutes
work to move the supply termination just 1.5m by shortening the
cables.

Likewise, and I was in the industry for 30+ years and knew exactly how
they'd do it, but I was still told to pay upfront for work I knew wouldn't
be done. All right the paying upfront bit I can go with, but being asked to
pay for work I knew wouldn't happen.....

1) Ask for a breakdown of the costs. They should tell you in very basic
terms what they're doing, and what you're paying for.

2) Keep an eye on the guys when they turn up to do the work, and sort of
ask all innocent like 'I'm interested, how do you go about the work? Mind
if I watch?'.

work that wasn't done.

My quote was for £600+, which included digging out for a joint hole,
cutting the existing cable, laying a short piece of new cable and joint it
onto the existing, as well as the main fuse termination, of course.

When the guys turned up, the did exactly what I had told their office would
happen, temporarily make the end of the cable safe with tape, pull the
cable back and feed it up a pipe installed by the builder to the new meter
position.

I got a very grudging refund of about £350 odd.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Wanderer wrote:

My quote was for £600+, which included digging out for a joint hole,
cutting the existing cable, laying a short piece of new cable and joint it
onto the existing, as well as the main fuse termination, of course.

Out of curiosity, what is the correct way to safely cut a live cable
like that?

When the guys turned up, the did exactly what I had told their office would
happen, temporarily make the end of the cable safe with tape, pull the
cable back and feed it up a pipe installed by the builder to the new meter
position.

I got a very grudging refund of about £350 odd.

Well done!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
SNIP

Out of curiosity, what is the correct way to safely cut a live cable
like that?

SNIP

--
Cheers,

John.

Delegation dear chap, definitely delegation G

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Carroll wrote:
I will also need the telephone connection moving, are they similarly
overpriced?

DIY? Do it properly and they'll never know.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity -- I'm a carrier

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Carroll wrote:
I will need to have the electricity supply cable moved on my latest
project at some stage as the planned extension will be in the way. Who
is responsible for this and how do I go about getting it done?

If anyone has had this done what was the cost and lead times as well.

A neighbour had a quote of near 200 quid just to fit an earth clamp to the
incoming supply - so I shudder to think how much they'd charge for doing
real work.

--
*There are two sides to every divorce: Yours and **** head's*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 14:00:05 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

The Wanderer wrote:

My quote was for £600+, which included digging out for a joint hole,
cutting the existing cable, laying a short piece of new cable and joint it
onto the existing, as well as the main fuse termination, of course.

Out of curiosity, what is the correct way to safely cut a live cable
like that?

Assuming you mean lv cables....

If it's concentric, it's just a case of taking the layers back one at a
time, leaving inner layers slightly longer than outer layers, IYSWIM. The
live is the innermost conductor. As a temporary measure, the end of the
live can be wrapped with a few turns of pvc tape, although there are
heat-shrink caps for a more permanent job. Jointers also tend to keep the
fingers from electrical safety gloves when they get condemned for human use
(usually because of pinhole or abraiding) and stick those over the ends of
live conductors when they're actually jointing cables. A lot of the time,
however, it's just a case of separating out the cores - familiarity and all
that!

If it's an older paper insulated lead sheathed cable, usually with steel
tape armouring, then it's more detailed, and the cable has to be stripped
down to the cores following a set procedure and in an approved manner.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 14:08:38 +0100, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Out of curiosity, what is the correct way to safely cut a live cable
like that?

Delegation dear chap, definitely delegation G

Whilst passing over the marigolds and wellies. B-)

Only having one conductor at a time exposed eliminates any possibility of
phase to phase or phase to neutral short. Leaving just phase to earth
which isn't going to go with quite such a big bang as the other two,
though still not to be recommended.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:

Out of curiosity, what is the correct way to safely cut a live cable
like that?

SNIP

--
Cheers,

John.

Delegation dear chap, definitely delegation G

Don't you get through apprentices rather quickly though? ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.