Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wossis then ?

Rather than x-post, I'm forwarding this from uk.rec.motorcycles

no definite answers there yet

"http://www.systemlabs.co.uk/thing.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Family legend is that it is some kind of
surgical device. The 'blade's are serated on one half. It is currently
used for mashing baby food, which it does admirably."

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 19:45:01 GMT, geoff wrote:

Rather than x-post, I'm forwarding this from uk.rec.motorcycles

no definite answers there yet

"http://www.systemlabs.co.uk/thing.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Family legend is that it is some kind of
surgical device. The 'blade's are serated on one half. It is currently
used for mashing baby food, which it does admirably."

Baby Food ??? In that state ...lol
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 19:45:01 GMT, geoff wrote:

Rather than x-post, I'm forwarding this from uk.rec.motorcycles

no definite answers there yet

"http://www.systemlabs.co.uk/thing.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Family legend is that it is some kind of
surgical device. The 'blade's are serated on one half. It is currently
used for mashing baby food, which it does admirably."

Some form of secateurs perhaps for cutting stronger stems than just
plants .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
writes

Rather than x-post, I'm forwarding this from uk.rec.motorcycles

no definite answers there yet

"http://www.systemlabs.co.uk/thing.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Family legend is that it is some kind of
surgical device. The 'blade's are serated on one half. It is currently
used for mashing baby food, which it does admirably."

if it makes 3 parallel cuts it might be used to cut cloth - but it looks
more like something for gardening in its construction

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

Rather than x-post, I'm forwarding this from uk.rec.motorcycles

no definite answers there yet

"http://www.systemlabs.co.uk/thing.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Family legend is that it is some kind of
surgical device.

I doubt that it's a surgical device. Surgical devices tend to be
designed to be cleaned easily and generally they don't have mucking
great rusty nuts or grunge-catching coil springs.

The construction actually looks like pruning shears apart from the
blades. The inside face of the blade appears to be serrated as on
gripping surface of pliers, rather than as on a knife or cutting
surface.

The 'blade's are serated on one half. It is currently
used for mashing baby food, which it does admirably."

Hmm, hygiene seems to be a lesser requirement than I would have for baby
food.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Stuart B
writes
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 19:45:01 GMT, geoff wrote:

Rather than x-post, I'm forwarding this from uk.rec.motorcycles

no definite answers there yet

"http://www.systemlabs.co.uk/thing.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Family legend is that it is some kind of
surgical device. The 'blade's are serated on one half. It is currently
used for mashing baby food, which it does admirably."

Some form of secateurs perhaps for cutting stronger stems than just
plants .

Why the multiple "blades" then ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
geoff writes:

Rather than x-post, I'm forwarding this from uk.rec.motorcycles

no definite answers there yet

"http://www.systemlabs.co.uk/thing.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Family legend is that it is some kind of
surgical device. The 'blade's are serated on one half. It is currently
used for mashing baby food, which it does admirably."

They are exactly the same style (and make I suspect) as my
parents' poultry secateurs. Only the blade is different.
I therefore suspect they are a kitchen tool, rather than
a surgical device.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Si
$3o&m writes
In message , geoff
writes

Rather than x-post, I'm forwarding this from uk.rec.motorcycles

no definite answers there yet

"http://www.systemlabs.co.uk/thing.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Family legend is that it is some kind of
surgical device. The 'blade's are serated on one half. It is
currently used for mashing baby food, which it does admirably."

if it makes 3 parallel cuts it might be used to cut cloth - but it
looks more like something for gardening in its construction

Someone suggested that its for serrating leather, but I doubt it

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
. ..
geoff wrote:

Rather than x-post, I'm forwarding this from uk.rec.motorcycles

no definite answers there yet

"http://www.systemlabs.co.uk/thing.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Family legend is that it is some kind of
surgical device.

I doubt that it's a surgical device. Surgical devices tend to be
designed to be cleaned easily and generally they don't have mucking
great rusty nuts or grunge-catching coil springs.

The construction actually looks like pruning shears apart from the
blades. The inside face of the blade appears to be serrated as on
gripping surface of pliers, rather than as on a knife or cutting
surface.

The 'blade's are serated on one half. It is currently
used for mashing baby food, which it does admirably."

Hmm, hygiene seems to be a lesser requirement than I would have for baby
food.

Mmm. Bikers are a tough breed.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

Rather than x-post, I'm forwarding this from uk.rec.motorcycles

no definite answers there yet

"http://www.systemlabs.co.uk/thing.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Family legend is that it is some kind of
surgical device.

Only if it is a Pakistani copy of some traditional design, although I can't
find anything like it in any of my old catalogues. The build quality is far
too poor otherwise. On a surgical instrument, the handle serrations should
be straight cuts, or a series of ground, open, hollows. Cross hatching traps
too much dirt. I do know of one instrument that uses a coil spring to open
the handles, but otherwise, the standard system is one or two flat leaf
springs. Again, they are easier to clean. The usual latching mechanism on
surgical instrument handles is also quite different. Finally, the joint is
far too crudely made. At the very least, the pivot pin would screw into the
body of the joint, not have a huge nut on it.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
. ..

[snip]

Hmm, hygiene seems to be a lesser requirement than I would have for baby
food.

Mmm. Bikers are a tough breed.

They don't look tough after their frequent close encounters with HGV
wheels. Indeed they look decidedly tender and squishy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Could they be for crushing flowers stems? (the way florists do to
flower stems on cut flowers like roses - I think to improve water
uptake and hence how well the petals stay on).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
Graham. wrote:

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
. ..

[snip]

Hmm, hygiene seems to be a lesser requirement than I would have for
baby food.

Mmm. Bikers are a tough breed.

They don't look tough after their frequent close encounters with HGV
wheels. Indeed they look decidedly tender and squishy.

My paramedic daughter would agree with that. They hate m/c accidents.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

They are exactly the same style (and make I suspect) as my
parents' poultry secateurs. Only the blade is different.
I therefore suspect they are a kitchen tool, rather than
a surgical device.

I recall my grandmother having a cherry stoning gadget with identical
handles & spring. (business end was a cup with a hole in it, and a blunt
spike) so I too would go for kitchen.

Perhaps it *is* a baby food masher!

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
geoff writes:
Rather than x-post, I'm forwarding this from uk.rec.motorcycles

no definite answers there yet

"http://www.systemlabs.co.uk/thing.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Family legend is that it is some kind of
surgical device. The 'blade's are serated on one half. It is currently
used for mashing baby food, which it does admirably."

They are exactly the same style (and make I suspect) as my
parents' poultry secateurs. Only the blade is different.
I therefore suspect they are a kitchen tool, rather than
a surgical device.

Same here. My grandmother had a set of what we called poultry shears
with the same handle and spring design. The had a single set of blades
though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

Rather than x-post, I'm forwarding this from uk.rec.motorcycles

no definite answers there yet

"http://www.systemlabs.co.uk/thing.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Family legend is that it is some kind of
surgical device. The 'blade's are serated on one half. It is currently
used for mashing baby food, which it does admirably."

--
geoff

Old canvas stretching pliers.
The idea was to trap the canvas in the jaws to create a none slippage grip
and the pull the canvas over the frame to tack it in place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart B" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 19:45:01 GMT, geoff wrote:

Rather than x-post, I'm forwarding this from uk.rec.motorcycles

no definite answers there yet

"http://www.systemlabs.co.uk/thing.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Family legend is that it is some kind of
surgical device. The 'blade's are serated on one half. It is currently
used for mashing baby food, which it does admirably."

Baby Food ??? In that state ...lol

Spouse says it's something for making multiple cuts - perhaps (for example)
fringes on leather.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

Old canvas stretching pliers.
The idea was to trap the canvas in the jaws to create a none slippage grip
and the pull the canvas over the frame to tack it in place.

Nope. Canvas stretchers have a very broad jaw.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
George wrote:

Old canvas stretching pliers.
The idea was to trap the canvas in the jaws to create a none slippage
grip
and the pull the canvas over the frame to tack it in place.

Nope. Canvas stretchers have a very broad jaw.

Yes, the ones I've used have had.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

Old canvas stretching pliers.
The idea was to trap the canvas in the jaws to create a none slippage

grip
and the pull the canvas over the frame to tack it in place.

Nope. Canvas stretchers have a very broad jaw.

I said old. :-) a few have said some type of cutters...I hardly thin they
will cut anything with a solid body.
This is more a crimping tool if I was to hazard a guess.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
S Viemeister wrote:
George wrote:
Old canvas stretching pliers.

Nope. Canvas stretchers have a very broad jaw.

You've just deprived George of his coconut :-)

Owain

The coconut still stands till the resulting item has been identified...I
thank you. :-)

These could have been specifically made for small canvases?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "George" contains these words:

Old canvas stretching pliers.
The idea was to trap the canvas in the jaws to create a none slippage

grip
and the pull the canvas over the frame to tack it in place.

Nope. Canvas stretchers have a very broad jaw.

I said old. :-) a few have said some type of cutters...I hardly thin they
will cut anything with a solid body.

They may not be very effective at cutting tough items but they will be
conspicuously less successful at doing just about anything other than
cutting.

So Geoff what do they do to a sheet of paper?

This is more a crimping tool if I was to hazard a guess.

Crimp what? Blades coming together in a V will mangle or slip off if
they don't cut cleanly.

--
Roger Chapman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "George" contains these words:

This is more a crimping tool if I was to hazard a guess.

Crimp what? Blades coming together in a V will mangle or slip off if
they don't cut cleanly.

Tin,Copper?

They might indeed cut thin tinplate or copper sheet if the material is
not too tough but they can't roll a lip, or otherwise press 2 sheets
together except at the point of contact where the prongs mate up like
scissor blades.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

The coconut still stands till the resulting item has been identified...I
thank you. :-)

These could have been specifically made for small canvases?

If you'd ever stretched a canvas, you wouldn't even _consider_ that this
tool was any sort of canvas stretcher. Canvas needs to be evenly
pulled, to keep the grain straight, which is why a very broad-jawed tool
is used.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bof bof is offline

In message , geoff
writes

Rather than x-post, I'm forwarding this from uk.rec.motorcycles

no definite answers there yet

"http://www.systemlabs.co.uk/thing.jpg

Anyone know what this is?

First thing I was reminded of were these:
http://www.shinyshiny.tv/2006/06/shredding_sciss.html

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 24, 6:09 pm, bof wrote:
In message , geoff
writes

Rather than x-post, I'm forwarding this from uk.rec.motorcycles

no definite answers there yet

"http://www.systemlabs.co.uk/thing.jpg

Anyone know what this is?

First thing I was reminded of were these:
http://www.shinyshiny.tv/2006/06/shredding_sciss.html

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

Wasn't there one on Antiques Roadshow or one of the 'Flog your
heritage for peanuts over a lunch-hour boot sale in the Attic
challenge' a while back? Victorian baby food masher ISTR.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Stuart B" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 19:45:01 GMT, geoff wrote:

Rather than x-post, I'm forwarding this from uk.rec.motorcycles

no definite answers there yet

"http://www.systemlabs.co.uk/thing.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Family legend is that it is some kind of
surgical device. The 'blade's are serated on one half. It is currently
used for mashing baby food, which it does admirably."

Baby Food ??? In that state ...lol

Spouse says it's something for making multiple cuts - perhaps (for example)
fringes on leather.

10/10 for stating the bleeding obvious

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , George
writes

"geoff" wrote in message

Rather than x-post, I'm forwarding this from uk.rec.motorcycles

no definite answers there yet

"http://www.systemlabs.co.uk/thing.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Family legend is that it is some kind of
surgical device. The 'blade's are serated on one half. It is currently
used for mashing baby food, which it does admirably."

--
geoff

Old canvas stretching pliers.
The idea was to trap the canvas in the jaws to create a none slippage grip
and the pull the canvas over the frame to tack it in place.

Now, that's a novel idea

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger
writes
The message
from "George" contains these words:

Old canvas stretching pliers.
The idea was to trap the canvas in the jaws to create a none slippage

grip
and the pull the canvas over the frame to tack it in place.

Nope. Canvas stretchers have a very broad jaw.

I said old. :-) a few have said some type of cutters...I hardly thin they
will cut anything with a solid body.

They may not be very effective at cutting tough items but they will be
conspicuously less successful at doing just about anything other than
cutting.

So Geoff what do they do to a sheet of paper?

As I said in the original post, I'm forwarding it from UKRM where
everyone's equally stumped

I don't have it, so I don't know

This is more a crimping tool if I was to hazard a guess.

Crimp what? Blades coming together in a V will mangle or slip off if
they don't cut cleanly.

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , bof
writes
In message , geoff
writes

Rather than x-post, I'm forwarding this from uk.rec.motorcycles

no definite answers there yet

"http://www.systemlabs.co.uk/thing.jpg

Anyone know what this is?

First thing I was reminded of were these:
http://www.shinyshiny.tv/2006/06/shredding_sciss.html

Yes, someone posted that in UKRM

it seems a bit over engineered for that

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
writes

Rather than x-post, I'm forwarding this from uk.rec.motorcycles

no definite answers there yet

"http://www.systemlabs.co.uk/thing.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Family legend is that it is some kind of
surgical device. The 'blade's are serated on one half. It is currently
used for mashing baby food, which it does admirably."

Seems like someone actually knows (whether tis true or not dear reader
.... dunno)

"Thin metal (copper/brass) tool to segment the edge of a lid, to fit
into a boiler type affair, for permanent joining...if you know what I
mean?

This is the right answer (ish) its for joining two equal diameter
tubes by forming a crimp in one of them so it will slot inside the
other "

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from geoff contains these words:

"http://www.systemlabs.co.uk/thing.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Family legend is that it is some kind of
surgical device. The 'blade's are serated on one half. It is currently
used for mashing baby food, which it does admirably."

Seems like someone actually knows (whether tis true or not dear reader
.... dunno)

First suggestion possible. Second no chance.

"Thin metal (copper/brass) tool to segment the edge of a lid, to fit
into a boiler type affair, for permanent joining...if you know what I
mean?

This is the right answer (ish) its for joining two equal diameter
tubes by forming a crimp in one of them so it will slot inside the
other "

There is no clearance between the blades. It will cut (or not as the
case may be) rather than deform.

It would have to be a bloody great tube to get more than one blade
inside it and using the tool that way couldn't have the claimed effect.
There are tools to swage out pipe ends but I am sure they look nothing
like this tool.

I think Bof had it right. They are probably early shredding scissors.
Whatever they are their designed purpose can only have been to make
multiple cuts in thin material.

--
Roger Chapman