Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tiling Bathroom floor - Toilet sink etc on top of tiles?

Is it best to put the toilet, sink and bath on top of the tiles or
tile around them?

I can't imagine I'd get a very tidy job if I had to cut tiles around
the toilet?

Any problems putting the tiles around first?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message m, 405 TD
Estate writes
Is it best to put the toilet, sink and bath on top of the tiles or
tile around them?

I can't imagine I'd get a very tidy job if I had to cut tiles around
the toilet?

Any problems putting the tiles around first?

In my case, I put the toilet pan on top of the tiles. Bed the pan onto
the tiles with a silicon sealant. Mask off the tiles first with tape to
avoid the sealant squidging out all over your new tiles. If the pan is
secured to the floor with a couple of screws, drill through the tiles in
advance of final fitting.

I put the bath in first and ran the tiles under side and end panels.

--
Paul Giverin

British Jet Engine Website:- www.britjet.co.uk

My photos:- www.pbase.com/vendee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

405 TD Estate wrote:
Is it best to put the toilet, sink and bath on top of the tiles or
tile around them?

Toilet and sink yes, bath? It depends By baths are very mucvh 'built ind
and I tile up to them. Also to basin tops.

I can't imagine I'd get a very tidy job if I had to cut tiles around
the toilet?

You can..but you may not want to.

Any problems putting the tiles around first?

Yes and no.

My general feel is that I tile as little of the floor as is necessary to
get the basin pedestal and loo on TOP of the tiles, then fit those. I
don't screw then down - too hard wth tiles - they go on a bed of
silicone instead.

Then the toilet CISTERN area is tiled if its a mount over type. They are
HARD to tile up to.

I then generally install the bath, using loads of timber all over it and
car body filler to make it rigid. And build an MDF casing for it. Any
gaps round it are siliconed at this point.

Similar for showers.

Then I finish the floor tiling up to the bath and or shower tray areas,
and tile down from the toilet cistern to the floor, cutting around the
soil pipe, and grouting the gaps.

The basin, shower tray and bath are tiled around: The grout forms the
aesthetic seal and the silicone under forms the real seal. If they are
mounted properly there is no flexure and the grout doesn't crack.

It all looks very neat and tidy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul Giverin wrote:
In message m, 405 TD
Estate writes
Is it best to put the toilet, sink and bath on top of the tiles or
tile around them?

I can't imagine I'd get a very tidy job if I had to cut tiles around
the toilet?

Any problems putting the tiles around first?

In my case, I put the toilet pan on top of the tiles. Bed the pan onto
the tiles with a silicon sealant. Mask off the tiles first with tape to
avoid the sealant squidging out all over your new tiles.

Another technique that really works is

let it squidge.

Ge a modelling scalpel or SHARP Stanley knife and cut vertically down
the SET silicone around the pan.

Peel off the surplus.

You will be amazed how sharp and clean an edge this leaves.

If the pan is
secured to the floor with a couple of screws,

then fill the screw holes with white silicone! :-)

drill through the tiles in
advance of final fitting.

And find that the longest brass screws you can get are not long enough
to go through pan, tiles, thick cement layer and do anything useful in
the wood underneath :-)

I put the bath in first and ran the tiles under side and end panels.

Yup.