Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Strangest Ho****er/Heating System in the West!

Hello,

Sorry, another post regarding my heating system.

Just recently when it has been firing up, on hot water only, all the
radiators upstairs warm up.... This even happens if I have the main
room stat in the hall turned right down.

The radiator in the bathroom has always heated up when the hot water
is on, I assume as some kind of pressure release safety element to the
system (you can tell my knowledge is limited).

All that has changed with the system recently is that I discovered the
cold water feed from the header tank was blocked up at the T
junction... so I unblocked this... it seems to be since then that all
3 upstairs rads have decided to heat up once the hot water is on.

I'm not sure axactly what my system is to descibe it.. but I have has
numerous problems in the past with the control unit, and getting it to
switch between hot water and heating.. but this had been "fixed" by
british gas after 5 attempts.. and this problem is different in that
the upstairs rads are coming on but not downstairs.... I have been
turning off the TRVs to stop teh 2 bedrooms getting too hot.. but I am
wondering if I should be worried or getting it looked at?

Thanks

Tom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Thomarse wrote:
Sorry, another post regarding my heating system.

Just recently when it has been firing up, on hot water only, all the
radiators upstairs warm up.... This even happens if I have the main
room stat in the hall turned right down.

Quite common and caused by thermocirculation. Fixed by fitting one or more
automatic valves designed for this very purpose.

The radiator in the bathroom has always heated up when the hot water
is on, I assume as some kind of pressure release safety element to the
system (you can tell my knowledge is limited).

Could well be designed like this with the bathroom rad on the hot water
heating loop - the purpose being to dry towels etc with the heating not in
use.

All that has changed with the system recently is that I discovered the
cold water feed from the header tank was blocked up at the T
junction... so I unblocked this... it seems to be since then that all
3 upstairs rads have decided to heat up once the hot water is on.

I'm not sure axactly what my system is to descibe it.. but I have has
numerous problems in the past with the control unit, and getting it to
switch between hot water and heating.. but this had been "fixed" by
british gas after 5 attempts.. and this problem is different in that
the upstairs rads are coming on but not downstairs.... I have been
turning off the TRVs to stop teh 2 bedrooms getting too hot.. but I am
wondering if I should be worried or getting it looked at?

I'd say you need to get updated to a fully pumped system which will save
money in the long run as well as being fully under your control.

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/co.../controls.html

--
*TEAMWORK...means never having to take all the blame yourself *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article . com,
Thomarse wrote:

[...]

Its also possible it might be plumbed wrong, with upstairs rads on the
HW circuit. Have seen that before

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 00:41:50 -0700, Thomarse wrote:

[...]

If your going to help yourself then you'll new to learn some of the
knowledge. Try the main FAQ and the wiki, but the FAQs below probably
won't help so much at this stage.