Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Hepworth HP20

As I said in a previous posting I am refurbing my sisters bathroom whilst
she is on holiday. Part of the existing plumbing is using HP20 fittings. I
nreed to do some altertions, hw do I dismantle these things? I do not want
to go at it like a 'bull at a gate' and find they don't come apart easily or
I need a tool to dis-assemble.

Cheers

John

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 17:43:18 +0100, "John"
wrote:

As I said in a previous posting I am refurbing my sisters bathroom whilst
she is on holiday. Part of the existing plumbing is using HP20 fittings. I
nreed to do some altertions, hw do I dismantle these things? I do not want
to go at it like a 'bull at a gate' and find they don't come apart easily or
I need a tool to dis-assemble.

Cheers

John

You might find info on the Hepworth site but you turn the water off
and unscrew the cap and pull out the pipe and you will find a grab
ring ( with teeth that bite if you stick your finger in ) , a plastic
ring ,a rubber O ring and a pipe support inside the pipe .

There are different versions of these fittings and ,I believe,that
some have parts that can be reused .

Others might have more info and will be along in a wee while
Stuart
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
As I said in a previous posting I am refurbing my sisters bathroom whilst
she is on holiday. Part of the existing plumbing is using HP20 fittings.

nreed to do some altertions, hw do I dismantle these things? I do not

want
to go at it like a 'bull at a gate' and find they don't come apart easily

or
I need a tool to dis-assemble.

Cheers

John

Hep 20 are easily dismantled simply by unscrewing the collar and pull apart.
However, the green gripping ring cannot be pulled off. To remove this for
reuse then the pipe should be cut behind the ring which can then be slid off
..

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 14 Sep, 18:28, "Heliotrope Smith" wrote:
"John" wrote in message

... As I said in a previous posting I am refurbing my sisters bathroom whilst
she is on holiday. Part of the existing plumbing is using HP20 fittings.

nreed to do some altertions, hw do I dismantle these things? I do not

want
to go at it like a 'bull at a gate' and find they don't come apart easily

or
I need a tool to dis-assemble.

Cheers

John

Hep 20 are easily dismantled simply by unscrewing the collar and pull apart.
However, the green gripping ring cannot be pulled off. To remove this for
reuse then the pipe should be cut behind the ring which can then be slid off
.

There are 2 types of hep2o one you can dismantle the other you cannot.

You will need a green relaesing from the plumbers merchant for get the
green ring off, if you ask nicely they give it to you free.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

oups.com...
"John" wrote in message

[...]

Good bit of info there mrm.
All this time I've been snipping those green rings off or cutting the pipe.
I will certainly be getting a grab ring demounting tool.
Thanks.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Heliotrope Smith" wrote in message

oups.com...
"John" wrote in message

[...]

Remember to put the grab ring back on the correct way around!!!

I have only got it wrong once:-)

Adam

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
As I said in a previous posting I am refurbing my sisters bathroom whilst
she is on holiday. Part of the existing plumbing is using HP20 fittings.
I nreed to do some altertions, hw do I dismantle these things? I do not
want to go at it like a 'bull at a gate' and find they don't come apart
easily or I need a tool to dis-assemble.

Don't use the pushfit fittings. Use Conex compression joints with new metal
inserts. Wrap PTFE around the olive. Much better than problematic pushfits.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"John" wrote in message
As I said in a previous posting I am refurbing my sisters bathroom whilst
she is on holiday. Part of the existing plumbing is using HP20 fittings.
I nreed to do some altertions, hw do I dismantle these things? I do not
want to go at it like a 'bull at a gate' and find they don't come apart
easily or I need a tool to dis-assemble.

Don't use the pushfit fittings. Use Conex compression joints with new
metal inserts. Wrap PTFE around the olive. Much better than problematic
pushfits.

Nothing wrong with PushFit if used correctly.

Using PTFE on olives is a Bodge!

Baz

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
As I said in a previous posting I am refurbing my sisters bathroom whilst
she is on holiday. Part of the existing plumbing is using HP20 fittings.
I nreed to do some altertions, hw do I dismantle these things? I do not
want to go at it like a 'bull at a gate' and find they don't come apart
easily or I need a tool to dis-assemble.

Don't use the pushfit fittings. Use Conex compression joints with new
metal inserts. Wrap PTFE around the olive. Much better than problematic
pushfits.

Nothing wrong with PushFit if used correctly.

Using PTFE on olives is a Bodge!

Everything Drivel does is a bodge. He cuts polypipe with a hacksaw,
fails to clean up the ends properly and then whines that the fittings
leak.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
. ..

"John" wrote in message
As I said in a previous posting I am refurbing my sisters bathroom
whilst
she is on holiday. Part of the existing plumbing is using HP20
fittings.
I nreed to do some altertions, hw do I dismantle these things? I do
not
want to go at it like a 'bull at a gate' and find they don't come
apart
easily or I need a tool to dis-assemble.

Don't use the pushfit fittings. Use Conex compression joints with new
metal inserts. Wrap PTFE around the olive. Much better than
problematic
pushfits.

Nothing wrong with PushFit if used correctly.

Using PTFE on olives is a Bodge!

Everything

Please eff off as you a total ****kicking idiot.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
As I said in a previous posting I am refurbing my sisters bathroom
whilst she is on holiday. Part of the existing plumbing is using HP20
fittings. I nreed to do some altertions, hw do I dismantle these
things? I do not want to go at it like a 'bull at a gate' and find they
don't come apart easily or I need a tool to dis-assemble.

Don't use the pushfit fittings. Use Conex compression joints with new
metal inserts. Wrap PTFE around the olive. Much better than problematic
pushfits.

Nothing wrong with PushFit if used correctly.

Not so. They are problematical. Failures tend to be catastrophic. Use
Conex compression joints.

Using PTFE on olives is a Bodge!

It is what the makers say when using compression fittings on plastic pipes.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Nothing wrong with PushFit if used correctly.

Not so. They are problematical. Failures tend to be catastrophic.

Only for ****wits who can't read simple instructions.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Nothing wrong with PushFit if used correctly.

Not so. They are problematical. Failures tend to be catastrophic.

Only

Please eff off as you are a total ****kicking idiot.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Can you back that up with a link?

Baz

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Baz wrote:

It is what the makers say when using compression fittings on plastic pipes.

Can you back that up with a link?

prepares cup of tea
gets bag of crisps
settles down for a long wait

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Well this is interesting.

The Conex web site has downloadable PDF technical guides for their
compression fitting range and for their push fit (Cuprofit) ranges.

http://www.ibpconex.co.uk/technicalCompression.php

http://www.ibpconex.co.uk/technicalCuprofit.php

Looking through the compression fittings one, I can find no reference
to the use of PTFE tape. They only mention the use of a sealant for
larger fittings such as 54mm.

There is nothing for Cuprofit either that I could find.

Interestingly, both guides specify the use of a pipe cutter to cut the pipe.

Perhaps there are other compression fitting manufacturers who specify
the use of PTFE tape.....