DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cutting holes in acrylic bath (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/213930-cutting-holes-acrylic-bath.html)

LaserMark[_2_] September 10th 07 05:44 PM

Cutting holes in acrylic bath

Hi

I have to cut tap holes in a new acrylic bath and I'm wondering what
the best tool would be. I was planning to use a holesaw but I'm
worried about the acrylic cracking/splitting or generally getting
chewed up. Are acrylic baths easy to cut?

Any recommendations?

Thanks

John Rumm September 10th 07 06:55 PM

LaserMark wrote:

I have to cut tap holes in a new acrylic bath and I'm wondering what
the best tool would be. I was planning to use a holesaw but I'm
worried about the acrylic cracking/splitting or generally getting
chewed up. Are acrylic baths easy to cut?

Hole saw is the best way usually. A decent bimetal holesaw should leave
a nice clean edge. Most taps etc will have a flange that covers the cut
edge anyway, so there is no need for it to be perfect.

Just take time to mark out the cut positions first!

--
Cheers,

John.

cerberus[_2_] September 11th 07 02:02 AM

LaserMark wrote in message
Hi

I have to cut tap holes in a new acrylic bath and I'm wondering what
the best tool would be. I was planning to use a holesaw but I'm
worried about the acrylic cracking/splitting or generally getting
chewed up. Are acrylic baths easy to cut?

Any recommendations?

Thanks

When I worked at Ideal Standard, a bog standard holesaw was used (at a
medium speed on an airline), but a variable speed drill will be ok, just
adjust speed to suit.

Don

Steve September 11th 07 08:37 AM

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:44:14 +0100, LaserMark wrote:

Hi

I have to cut tap holes in a new acrylic bath and I'm wondering what
the best tool would be. I was planning to use a holesaw but I'm
worried about the acrylic cracking/splitting or generally getting
chewed up. Are acrylic baths easy to cut?

I did it a few months ago, just used a bog standard hole drill from one of
those packs of 300 drill bit type things, I drilled a pilot hole first to
get the distance exact.

Your best bet it to practice loads of times on the old bath, its much
easier drilling your brand new bath when you have just done 20 holes in the
old one.

Steve

Mike Harrison September 11th 07 09:41 AM

Cutting holes in acrylic bath

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:44:14 +0100, LaserMark wrote:

Hi

I have to cut tap holes in a new acrylic bath and I'm wondering what
the best tool would be. I was planning to use a holesaw but I'm
worried about the acrylic cracking/splitting or generally getting
chewed up. Are acrylic baths easy to cut?

Any recommendations?

Thanks

When cutting acrylic, it is important that tools are razor sharp, and you cut slowly enough to avoid
melting - a holesaw should be fine.
To avoid edge chips on breakthrough, start drilling on one side, then swap sides.

DM September 11th 07 10:29 AM

Steve wrote:
On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:44:14 +0100, LaserMark wrote:

Hi

I have to cut tap holes in a new acrylic bath and I'm wondering what
the best tool would be. I was planning to use a holesaw but I'm
worried about the acrylic cracking/splitting or generally getting
chewed up. Are acrylic baths easy to cut?

I did it a few months ago, just used a bog standard hole drill from one of
those packs of 300 drill bit type things, I drilled a pilot hole first to
get the distance exact.

Your best bet it to practice loads of times on the old bath, its much
easier drilling your brand new bath when you have just done 20 holes in the
old one.

Steve

-Just make sure you don't knacker your hole saw doing all those practice
cuts :-)

It's not that hard just carefully measure up and go for it.

[email protected] September 11th 07 12:07 PM

On Sep 11, 8:37 am, Steve wrote:
On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:44:14 +0100, LaserMark wrote:
Hi

I have to cut tap holes in a new acrylic bath and I'm wondering what
the best tool would be. I was planning to use a holesaw but I'm
worried about the acrylic cracking/splitting or generally getting
chewed up. Are acrylic baths easy to cut?

I did it a few months ago, just used a bog standard hole drill from one of
those packs of 300 drill bit type things, I drilled a pilot hole first to
get the distance exact.

Your best bet it to practice loads of times on the old bath,

What if it's cast iron?

MBQ

Steve September 11th 07 01:45 PM

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 11:07:53 -0000, wrote:

On Sep 11, 8:37 am, Steve wrote:
On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:44:14 +0100, LaserMark wrote:
Hi

I have to cut tap holes in a new acrylic bath and I'm wondering what
the best tool would be. I was planning to use a holesaw but I'm
worried about the acrylic cracking/splitting or generally getting
chewed up. Are acrylic baths easy to cut?

I did it a few months ago, just used a bog standard hole drill from one of
those packs of 300 drill bit type things, I drilled a pilot hole first to
get the distance exact.

Your best bet it to practice loads of times on the old bath,

What if it's cast iron?

Then your tupperware won't be sealing as well in the future

Steve

sm_jamieson September 11th 07 03:25 PM

On 10 Sep, 17:44, LaserMark wrote:
Hi

I have to cut tap holes in a new acrylic bath and I'm wondering what
the best tool would be. I was planning to use a holesaw but I'm
worried about the acrylic cracking/splitting or generally getting
chewed up. Are acrylic baths easy to cut?

Any recommendations?

Thanks

I drilled pilot holes into some thin ply first, checked on their
distance, clamped the ply to the bath and used that as a guide, so
that there was no way the drill could wander or anything.
Simon.

Stuart B September 12th 07 01:14 PM

Cutting holes in acrylic bath

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:44:14 +0100, LaserMark wrote:

Hi

I have to cut tap holes in a new acrylic bath and I'm wondering what
the best tool would be. I was planning to use a holesaw but I'm
worried about the acrylic cracking/splitting or generally getting
chewed up. Are acrylic baths easy to cut?

Any recommendations?

Thanks

I did it recently when I bought a new bath .Measured and measured
again .I then used a holesaw I got from Screwfix same or similar to
this

with a pilot drill in a quick change arbor

I covered the area with masking tape and marked the exact spot to
drill and it went through like butter .

Stuart