Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting holes in acrylic bath

Hi

I have to cut tap holes in a new acrylic bath and I'm wondering what
the best tool would be. I was planning to use a holesaw but I'm
worried about the acrylic cracking/splitting or generally getting
chewed up. Are acrylic baths easy to cut?

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

LaserMark wrote:

I have to cut tap holes in a new acrylic bath and I'm wondering what
the best tool would be. I was planning to use a holesaw but I'm
worried about the acrylic cracking/splitting or generally getting
chewed up. Are acrylic baths easy to cut?

Hole saw is the best way usually. A decent bimetal holesaw should leave
a nice clean edge. Most taps etc will have a flange that covers the cut
edge anyway, so there is no need for it to be perfect.

Just take time to mark out the cut positions first!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

LaserMark wrote in message
news
Hi

I have to cut tap holes in a new acrylic bath and I'm wondering what
the best tool would be. I was planning to use a holesaw but I'm
worried about the acrylic cracking/splitting or generally getting
chewed up. Are acrylic baths easy to cut?

Any recommendations?

Thanks

When I worked at Ideal Standard, a bog standard holesaw was used (at a
medium speed on an airline), but a variable speed drill will be ok, just
adjust speed to suit.

Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:44:14 +0100, LaserMark wrote:

Hi

I have to cut tap holes in a new acrylic bath and I'm wondering what
the best tool would be. I was planning to use a holesaw but I'm
worried about the acrylic cracking/splitting or generally getting
chewed up. Are acrylic baths easy to cut?

I did it a few months ago, just used a bog standard hole drill from one of
those packs of 300 drill bit type things, I drilled a pilot hole first to
get the distance exact.

Your best bet it to practice loads of times on the old bath, its much
easier drilling your brand new bath when you have just done 20 holes in the
old one.

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:44:14 +0100, LaserMark wrote:

Hi

I have to cut tap holes in a new acrylic bath and I'm wondering what
the best tool would be. I was planning to use a holesaw but I'm
worried about the acrylic cracking/splitting or generally getting
chewed up. Are acrylic baths easy to cut?

Any recommendations?

Thanks

When cutting acrylic, it is important that tools are razor sharp, and you cut slowly enough to avoid
melting - a holesaw should be fine.
To avoid edge chips on breakthrough, start drilling on one side, then swap sides.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DM DM is offline

Steve wrote:
On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:44:14 +0100, LaserMark wrote:

Hi

I have to cut tap holes in a new acrylic bath and I'm wondering what
the best tool would be. I was planning to use a holesaw but I'm
worried about the acrylic cracking/splitting or generally getting
chewed up. Are acrylic baths easy to cut?

I did it a few months ago, just used a bog standard hole drill from one of
those packs of 300 drill bit type things, I drilled a pilot hole first to
get the distance exact.

Your best bet it to practice loads of times on the old bath, its much
easier drilling your brand new bath when you have just done 20 holes in the
old one.

Steve

-Just make sure you don't knacker your hole saw doing all those practice
cuts :-)

It's not that hard just carefully measure up and go for it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 11, 8:37 am, Steve wrote:
On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:44:14 +0100, LaserMark wrote:
Hi

I have to cut tap holes in a new acrylic bath and I'm wondering what
the best tool would be. I was planning to use a holesaw but I'm
worried about the acrylic cracking/splitting or generally getting
chewed up. Are acrylic baths easy to cut?

I did it a few months ago, just used a bog standard hole drill from one of
those packs of 300 drill bit type things, I drilled a pilot hole first to
get the distance exact.

Your best bet it to practice loads of times on the old bath,

What if it's cast iron?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Sep, 17:44, LaserMark wrote:
Hi

I have to cut tap holes in a new acrylic bath and I'm wondering what
the best tool would be. I was planning to use a holesaw but I'm
worried about the acrylic cracking/splitting or generally getting
chewed up. Are acrylic baths easy to cut?

Any recommendations?

Thanks

I drilled pilot holes into some thin ply first, checked on their
distance, clamped the ply to the bath and used that as a guide, so
that there was no way the drill could wander or anything.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:44:14 +0100, LaserMark wrote:

Hi

I have to cut tap holes in a new acrylic bath and I'm wondering what
the best tool would be. I was planning to use a holesaw but I'm
worried about the acrylic cracking/splitting or generally getting
chewed up. Are acrylic baths easy to cut?

Any recommendations?

Thanks

I did it recently when I bought a new bath .Measured and measured
again .I then used a holesaw I got from Screwfix same or similar to
this

with a pilot drill in a quick change arbor

I covered the area with masking tape and marked the exact spot to
drill and it went through like butter .

Stuart

steel or acrylic bath? andy UK diy 24 January 10th 07 11:38 AM
Acrylic bath scuff-marks Bruce Hall UK diy 6 July 27th 06 08:15 AM
glueing board to fibreglass/acrylic bath sm_jamieson UK diy 4 June 2nd 06 09:25 PM
filling in overflow hole in acrylic bath sm_jamieson UK diy 14 May 29th 06 12:43 AM
acrylic vs cast iron bath tub pat Home Repair 10 May 8th 05 08:43 PM