Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrical socket height in conservatory with dwarf wall.

Putting some double sockets into the walls of my conservatory, during
construction. The dwarf wall is done, but the UPVC is yet to be fitted. I
am going for unfinished brick look, so want the wiring in the cavity and
through the back of the socket, so I need to get the sockets in today :-)

The regs seem to say that it needs to be 450mm up from floor level, but my
dwarf wall is 380mm high! Do the regs not apply at all in this instance?
what is a reasonable height given my circumstances? (Obviously fiting
them 380mm high will look pretty stupid.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Mark Gillespie" writes:
Putting some double sockets into the walls of my conservatory, during
construction. The dwarf wall is done, but the UPVC is yet to be fitted. I
am going for unfinished brick look, so want the wiring in the cavity and
through the back of the socket, so I need to get the sockets in today :-)

The regs seem to say that it needs to be 450mm up from floor level, but my
dwarf wall is 380mm high! Do the regs not apply at all in this instance?
what is a reasonable height given my circumstances? (Obviously fiting
them 380mm high will look pretty stupid.)

This is Part M of the building regs. It would only apply to a
new building, or a building which already conformed to Part M
in any case, not to extensions to older buildings.

Secondly, the heights are guideline methods of meeting the
requirements, and not absolutes. You could additionally provide
one or more sockets higher up along the back wall (presumably
not glazed) to meet the regs, whilst having the lower sockets
in the dwarf walls. I would not provide sockets higher than about
400mm near to doorways either, as a trailing cord from higher
sockets represents a serious trip hazard.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Gillespie wrote:
Putting some double sockets into the walls of my conservatory, during
construction. The dwarf wall is done, but the UPVC is yet to be
fitted. I am going for unfinished brick look, so want the wiring in
the cavity and through the back of the socket, so I need to get the
sockets in today :-)
The regs seem to say that it needs to be 450mm up from floor level,
but my dwarf wall is 380mm high! Do the regs not apply at all in
this instance? what is a reasonable height given my circumstances?
(Obviously fiting them 380mm high will look pretty stupid.)

I'm working myself up to do the same thing at present with the "exterior
effect" i.e. original exterior wall still exposed in the conservatory
and new dwarf wall using the same brick. I'll be putting the wiring in
the cavity and sockets will be at the same height as in the house for
consistency. Blow Part X!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Putting some double sockets into the walls of my conservatory, during
construction. The dwarf wall is done snip

Sorry, couldn't resist this...

Ask them to hold an extension lead for you ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 12:59:52 +0100, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:

Putting some double sockets into the walls of my conservatory, during
construction. The dwarf wall is done snip

Sorry, couldn't resist this...

Ask them to hold an extension lead for you ?

******TUMBLEWEED*******

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-08 11:37:56 +0100, "Mark Gillespie" said:

Putting some double sockets into the walls of my conservatory, during
construction. The dwarf wall is done, but the UPVC is yet to be fitted.
I am going for unfinished brick look, so want the wiring in the
cavity and through the back of the socket, so I need to get the
sockets in today :-)

The regs seem to say that it needs to be 450mm up from floor level, but
my dwarf wall is 380mm high! Do the regs not apply at all in this
instance? what is a reasonable height given my circumstances?
(Obviously fiting them 380mm high will look pretty stupid.)

This is part M of the Building Regulations - access for disabled people etc.

I had the same issue and discussed it with the local authority. Part
M is only applicable if the work was a new building or an extension to
a building that is already Part M compliant.

Secondly, a conservatory is normally exempt from Building Regulation
control provided that certain conditions are met related to size,
construction and thermal separation from the house.

However, there are two aspects in which there is Building Regulation
applicability:

- Glazing must be in accordance with part N (safety issues)

- Wiring is controlled under part P, so if you DIY, a Building Notice
is required.

Note that part P says nothing about socket heights for the disabled,
although there is a restriction to running cabling within a band of
150mm up from the floor. However, if it's in a cavity, that would
not apply (too far below the surface)

I guess that you have four courses of bricks up from what will be the
eventual floor position? If so, one course down from the top would
be a good choice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-08 11:37:56 +0100, "Mark Gillespie"
said:

[...]

AFAIA the Part P electrical regs won`t apply to your electrics (as long as
your conservatory is exempt from the Building Regs) so you can DIY them.
Providing you don`t supply the conservatorys power by extending a
Kitchen/bathroom circuit or by providing a new one from the fuseboard.
Could any electrians confirm 100% please.

Richard
www.fullflow-plumbing.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-08 11:37:56 +0100, "Mark Gillespie"
said:

[...]

I believe you are right, but I am not qualified to confirm 100%.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-09 02:20:50 +0100, "fullflow plumbing"
said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

[...]

I checked this point further. The answer can be found quite easily
using a Google search on "Part P" and "conservatories"

The provisions of part P do apply to conservatories. The exemption
from other provisions of the Building Regulations do not exempt exempt
it from the part P rules.

However, your point about whether it's *notifiable* or not is correct.
If it does not involve a new circuit or extension from a
bathroom/kitchen, then it is not notifiable. However, this is under
the general provisions of Part P. There is not an exemption because
the conservatory is exempt from other BR provisions.