Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting polystyrene sheets

Hi I need to cut some round holes 2 inches in diameter in some polystyrene
sheets which are 2 inches thick. What is the best way to do this without
getting a snowstorm in my garage?

Thanks Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rocket Ron" wrote in message
k...
Hi I need to cut some round holes 2 inches in diameter in some

polystyrene
sheets which are 2 inches thick. What is the best way to do this

without
getting a snowstorm in my garage?

Thanks Ron

As the sheet is 2" thick I'm assuming you are talking about expanded
polystyrene rather than the solid. Use a normal 2" diameter hole saw -
a cheap one will be fine - and turn it by hand.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rocket Ron" wrote in message
k...
Hi I need to cut some round holes 2 inches in diameter in some polystyrene
sheets which are 2 inches thick. What is the best way to do this without
getting a snowstorm in my garage?

Thanks Ron

Find a metal 2" ring(a vacume cleaner nozzle is about 2") heat it up on the
gas flame and press through the poly.

:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 21:47:32 GMT, "Rocket Ron"
wrote:

Hi I need to cut some round holes 2 inches in diameter in some polystyrene
sheets which are 2 inches thick. What is the best way to do this without
getting a snowstorm in my garage?

Depends on how many you have, and how much set-up you want to do.

A hot-wire cutter is still the best (although ventilate it well). You
can hack a rough hole first with a breadknife. Depending on the
cohesion of the granules and the cut quality you need, you could even
use the breadknife, a jigsaw or a long knifeblade (a fresh multi-section
snap-off is handy).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rocket Ron wrote:
Hi I need to cut some round holes 2 inches in diameter in some polystyrene
sheets which are 2 inches thick. What is the best way to do this without
getting a snowstorm in my garage?

Thanks Ron

blowlamp and some 2" metal pipe.
heat pipe.
Melt plastic with pipe

Another good one is to slowly drip acetone or cellulose thinners on the
poly. That melts a nice hole through.

a gash soldering iron will also work.

As will about a guitar length of thin guitar string across a 12v battery
in a bow...

A serrated kitchen knife is good too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rocket Ron wrote:
Hi I need to cut some round holes 2 inches in diameter in some
polystyrene sheets which are 2 inches thick. What is the best way to
do this without getting a snowstorm in my garage?

Do it outside the garage :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman