Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shower Thermostat

Hi all.
Sorry. Sort of a re-post here.
If there are typical characteristics that a
bar shower thermostat requires replacing,
what are they ?

Thanks.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur2 presented the following explanation :
Hi all.
Sorry. Sort of a re-post here.
If there are typical characteristics that a
bar shower thermostat requires replacing,
what are they ?

Not sure you mean by 'bar' shower?

For a basic shower....
Water flows and is heated by the element, water temperature is governed
by the rate of water flowing - the faster the flow, the colder the
output. The switching on of the element is by a flow pressure switch,
no flow and this turns itself off. It addition there is a temperature
switch, which turns of the element if the water temperature rises too
high - which could occur if the water outlet is obstructed.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Arthur2 presented the following explanation :
Hi all.
Sorry. Sort of a re-post here.
If there are typical characteristics that a
bar shower thermostat requires replacing,
what are they ?

Not sure you mean by 'bar' shower?

For a basic shower....
Water flows and is heated by the element, water temperature is governed by
the rate of water flowing - the faster the flow, the colder the output.
The switching on of the element is by a flow pressure switch, no flow and
this turns itself off. It addition there is a temperature switch, which
turns of the element if the water temperature rises too high - which could
occur if the water outlet is obstructed.

The shower has been running a bit hot since I descaled it about 6 weeks
ago..in that,
it was difficult to run it at less than what felt like 36 degrees.
The symptons for its current failure are the same as before..shower runs ok
for a minute then the flow
reduces to a trickle..then nothing.
Do these thermostats have a failsafe? e.g. If the thermostat is unable to
keep the temp below
a limit, will it shut itself off?

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 26/08/2007, Arthur2 supposed :
Do these thermostats have a failsafe? e.g. If the thermostat is unable to
keep the temp below
a limit, will it shut itself off?

The thermostat will cut in and out for safety - ensuring the
temperature cannot rise above the stats set (none adjustable)
temperature.

By your description it sounds as if you need to find out why the flow
is poor through the shower - perhaps a washer breaking up or similar?

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
on 26/08/2007, Arthur2 supposed :
Do these thermostats have a failsafe? e.g. If the thermostat is unable to
keep the temp below
a limit, will it shut itself off?

The thermostat will cut in and out for safety - ensuring the temperature
cannot rise above the stats set (none adjustable) temperature.

By your description it sounds as if you need to find out why the flow is
poor through the shower - perhaps a washer breaking up or similar?

--

I replaced both washers when I descaled it.
And as I said, the shower worked fairly well for 4 or 5 weeks.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 27, 12:07 am, "Arthur2" wrote:
I replaced both washers when I descaled it.
And as I said, the shower worked fairly well for 4 or 5 weeks.

Hi,

How did you descale it exactly?

Did it stop working all of a sudden or over a period of time?

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pete C" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 27, 12:07 am, "Arthur2" wrote:
I replaced both washers when I descaled it.
And as I said, the shower worked fairly well for 4 or 5 weeks.

Hi,

How did you descale it exactly?

Did it stop working all of a sudden or over a period of time?

cheers,
Pete.

Very much, suddenly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 29, 6:00 pm, "Arthur2" wrote:
Did it stop working all of a sudden or over a period of time?

Very much, suddenly.

Hi,

Only thing I can think of is either some debris like PTFE tape has
blocked the cold inlet, or a lump of loose scale has got stuck in the
valve.

With gradual scale buildup I'd expect it to have increasing trouble
holding the set temperature,

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pete C" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 29, 6:00 pm, "Arthur2" wrote:
Did it stop working all of a sudden or over a period of time?

Very much, suddenly.

Hi,

Only thing I can think of is either some debris like PTFE tape has
blocked the cold inlet, or a lump of loose scale has got stuck in the
valve.

With gradual scale buildup I'd expect it to have increasing trouble
holding the set temperature,

cheers,
Pete.

When I first installed it I was far too heavy with the wrenches and when I
disassembled
last month I saw that the filter washer was crushed and probably allowed who
knows what..
perhaps even a piece of the filter washer mesh.
I currently have the shower body disconnected from the inlets so I think
I'll let the water through for a minute and watch if something is flushed
out.
If nothing shows I will have to send a photo of the thermostat to the
showerdoctor.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

There may be non return valves on the inlet, if so it'd be worth
checking them.

It may also be possible to back-flush it by connecting the outlet to a
hot/cold water supply, and holding any non return valves open.

cheers,
Pete.