Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning greasy ceiling

I'm helping with the refurbishment of a student flat. It's been let
to Chinese students for 4 years and the kitchen ceiling (10 feet up!)
looks horrible. I'm assuming it's grease, etc from wok cooking. What
suggestions for cleaning it prior to repainting please ?

Thanks

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
I'm helping with the refurbishment of a student flat. It's been let
to Chinese students for 4 years and the kitchen ceiling (10 feet up!)
looks horrible. I'm assuming it's grease, etc from wok cooking. What
suggestions for cleaning it prior to repainting please ?

Thanks

Rob

I'd start with a normal Jif/Cif type abrasive cleaner. If that doesn't
shift it, washing soda should, but that will run down your sleeves.
Sugar soap similarly I would think. Maybe there's a gel type product you
could put on with a roller
Posted to uk.d-i-y
R R is offline

"robgraham" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm helping with the refurbishment of a student flat. It's been let
to Chinese students for 4 years and the kitchen ceiling (10 feet up!)
looks horrible. I'm assuming it's grease, etc from wok cooking. What
suggestions for cleaning it prior to repainting please ?

Sugar soap, a floor squeegee type mop (Saves the hard work) and a lot of
clean hot water to clear it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
I'm helping with the refurbishment of a student flat. It's been let
to Chinese students for 4 years and the kitchen ceiling (10 feet up!)
looks horrible. I'm assuming it's grease, etc from wok cooking. What
suggestions for cleaning it prior to repainting please ?

Dry steam cleaner (similar to a wall paper stripper) & plenty of cloths.

Failing that a good hard surface cleaner like Starclean from Morrisons and a
microfibre cloth, plus a bucket of rinse water.

No easy way, ladders or a tower + elbow grease.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Aug, 22:47, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
robgraham wrote:
I'm helping with the refurbishment of a student flat. It's been let
to Chinese students for 4 years and the kitchen ceiling (10 feet up!)
looks horrible. I'm assuming it's grease, etc from wok cooking. What
suggestions for cleaning it prior to repainting please ?

Dry steam cleaner (similar to a wall paper stripper) & plenty of cloths.

Failing that a good hard surface cleaner like Starclean from Morrisons and a
microfibre cloth, plus a bucket of rinse water.

No easy way, ladders or a tower + elbow grease.

--
Dave
The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Many thanks guys. I think I might have a sicky that day !

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
robgraham wrote:
... I'm assuming it's grease, etc from wok cooking.

Many thanks guys. I think I might have a sicky that day !

Probably better to have a sicky that day than be sick the next day.

Owain

Be grateful it isn't a really rough Artex or "Polytex"

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kev Kev is offline

wrote:
robgraham wrote:
I'm helping with the refurbishment of a student flat. It's been let
to Chinese students for 4 years and the kitchen ceiling (10 feet up!)
looks horrible. I'm assuming it's grease, etc from wok cooking. What
suggestions for cleaning it prior to repainting please ?

Dry steam cleaner (similar to a wall paper stripper) & plenty of cloths.

Failing that a good hard surface cleaner like Starclean from Morrisons and a
microfibre cloth, plus a bucket of rinse water.

No easy way, ladders or a tower + elbow grease.

--
Dave
The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Many thanks guys. I think I might have a sicky that day !

Rob- Hide quoted text -

There is a spray degreaser that is water soluble that seems to be used
in catering establishments that you can use. I use it at home as I
have a similar problem, the wife uses a wok a lot. Just spray it on,
leave it a few minutes, wash it off, the results are amazing. Can't
give you a name but I buy it in Makro ot Costco.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John wrote:

Be grateful it isn't a really rough Artex or "Polytex"

You mean like our kitchen ceiling? Rips a sponge
to shreds in no time. (((

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

following:

You mean like our kitchen ceiling? Rips a sponge
to shreds in no time. (((

We had ours skimmed. *What* an improvement!

Us too. Definitely the way to go. Wish I could afford to have the
whole house done.

--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 17, 9:12 am, Kev wrote:
There is a spray degreaser that is water soluble that seems to be used
in catering establishments that you can use. I use it at home as I
have a similar problem, the wife uses a wok a lot. Just spray it on,
leave it a few minutes, wash it off, the results are amazing. Can't
give you a name but I buy it in Makro ot Costco.

Might be 'citrus degreaser', a janitorial supplies would have it in
student-landlord sizes.

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,

On 2007-08-17, Tony Williams wrote:

You mean like our kitchen ceiling? Rips a sponge
to shreds in no time. (((

We had ours skimmed. *What* an improvement!

We'll have to do that, and in the bathroom,
on the wall right next to the bog, so if you
stand up and turn the wrong way you scrape your
bum on it.... well once is enough so it's only
visitors now.

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-17, Geoff Berrow wrote:
following:

You mean like our kitchen ceiling? Rips a sponge
to shreds in no time. (((
We had ours skimmed. *What* an improvement!

Us too. Definitely the way to go. Wish I could afford to have the
whole house done.

We had the living re-done in Artex, but a much lower, and random, pattern (it's
called "Broken leather, laced" if anyone cares). I rather like it.

Brave man to admit it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-17, Geoff Berrow wrote:
the following:

You mean like our kitchen ceiling? Rips a sponge
to shreds in no time. (((
We had ours skimmed. *What* an improvement!
Us too. Definitely the way to go. Wish I could afford to have the
whole house done.

We had the living re-done in Artex, but a much lower, and random,
pattern (it's called "Broken leather, laced" if anyone cares). I
rather like it.

Brave man to admit it.

We have carpet in the bathrooms, too. )

Snap, been there 24 years with no problems. Cannot see what all the fuss
was about. Irrational in my opinion. To those who might question, yes it
has been cleaned and removed on several occasions to paint, plumb, etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Aug 2007 12:09:07 GMT, Huge wrote:

Brave man to admit it.

We have carpet in the bathrooms, too. )

Do you have a telescopic sight on your todger?

Does it help ? :-)

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-18, Derek Geldard wrote:
On 18 Aug 2007 12:09:07 GMT, Huge wrote:

Brave man to admit it.
We have carpet in the bathrooms, too. )

Do you have a telescopic sight on your todger?

Radar-aimed, innit.

The aim might be good, but splashback is unpredictable. Why have a wc in
the bathroom anyway?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-19 12:29:43 +0100, Stuart Noble

On 2007-08-18, Derek Geldard wrote:
On 18 Aug 2007 12:09:07 GMT, Huge wrote:

Brave man to admit it.
We have carpet in the bathrooms, too. )
Do you have a telescopic sight on your todger?

Radar-aimed, innit.

The aim might be good, but splashback is unpredictable. Why have a wc
in the bathroom anyway?

Saves tiddling in the basin......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-19 12:29:43 +0100, Stuart Noble

On 2007-08-18, Derek Geldard wrote:
On 18 Aug 2007 12:09:07 GMT, Huge wrote:

Brave man to admit it.
We have carpet in the bathrooms, too. )
Do you have a telescopic sight on your todger?

Radar-aimed, innit.

The aim might be good, but splashback is unpredictable. Why have a wc
in the bathroom anyway?

Saves tiddling in the basin......

It's a pretty primitive arrangement unless you live alone
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Stuart Noble wrote:
The aim might be good, but splashback is unpredictable. Why have a wc in
the bathroom anyway?

Makes it less inconvenient to be a gentleman and get out of the bath first

Owain

I have had carpet tiles for years. Occasionally they get a good cleaning in
the shower and then put outside in the sun to dry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Aug, 12:29, Tony Williams wrote:
In article ,

On 2007-08-17, Tony Williams wrote:
You mean like our kitchen ceiling? Rips a sponge
to shreds in no time. (((

We had ours skimmed. *What* an improvement!

We'll have to do that, and in the bathroom,
on the wall right next to the bog, so if you
stand up and turn the wrong way you scrape your
bum on it....

You should really be using toilet tissue for that purpose Tony!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Noble contained the following:

We had the living re-done in Artex, but a much lower, and random, pattern (it's
called "Broken leather, laced" if anyone cares). I rather like it.

Brave man to admit it.

Well I don't think you can beat perfectly smooth plaster but can you
keep it that way? The ceilings I've had skimmed look lovely now but the
slightest crack will spoil the finish and I'll have to think again.

I've pretty much stripped the whole house down to plaster and now its
painted the slightest blemish shows in the day time when the light on it
is coming from a very shallow angle.

The house was built in 1965 and I'm going for a 60's plain and simple
look.