Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bring teak up from scratch

Hi all,

I have just obtained a really nice sounding pair of loudspeakers finished in
teak, but with a few scratches and marks on them. What would you recommend
to bring the finish back up and disguise the scratches?

Thanks

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.axminster.co.uk/category-Fillers-206896.htm

Brummer for big gouges (requires sanding)

Liberon sticks for the smaller stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fredbloggstwo" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have just obtained a really nice sounding pair of loudspeakers finished
in teak, but with a few scratches and marks on them. What would you
recommend to bring the finish back up and disguise the scratches?

Don't look at them. Concentrate on the listening.

Or, in modernspeak, get a life.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 18:10:33 +0100, "fredbloggstwo"
wrote:

I have just obtained a really nice sounding pair of loudspeakers finished in
teak, but with a few scratches and marks on them. What would you recommend
to bring the finish back up and disguise the scratches?

Teak is usually very lightly finished, just with oil at most. So
pretty much ignore the scraches and just re-oil with a very light
commercial finishing oil, even a non-drying oil. Liberon or Rustin's
ranges from someone like www.axminster.co.uk Try it with a wipe of
white spirit first - if they're visible because they're white more than
because they're deep, then white spirit will hide them temporarily and
oil will do it permanently.

If the scratches are really deep, re-sand. If they're impact dents,
then you can try a wet teatowel over them and a steam iron (works
better for less dense timbers though).

Don't use fillers or heavy film-forming finishes (varnishes, shellac
etc.) on teak. Of course you can do this, but you're fundamentally
changing the original finish and you're effectively starting from
scratch in a whole new direction.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 19:39:15 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Concentrate on the listening.

get a life.

That's the first time I've ever heard "Become a HiFi nut" paraphrased
_as_ "Get a life", but not the first time I've heard them in adjacent
sentences....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"fredbloggstwo" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have just obtained a really nice sounding pair of loudspeakers finished
in teak, but with a few scratches and marks on them. What would you
recommend to bring the finish back up and disguise the scratches?

Don't look at them. Concentrate on the listening.

Or, in modernspeak, get a life.

Mary

What's up Mary - bad hair day?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Andy - I'll try the oil as the scratches are only on the surface
giving them a bit of an unkempt look.

Regards

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

Concentrate on the listening.

get a life.

That's the first time I've ever heard "Become a HiFi nut" paraphrased
_as_ "Get a life", but not the first time I've heard them in adjacent
sentences....

You misunderstood, I suspect. I'm suggesting that the sound is more
important than the look of the thing - unless the poster sits watching the
speakers which, to me, seems an odd thing to do.

Or perhaps I misunderstood you :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fredbloggstwo" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"fredbloggstwo" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have just obtained a really nice sounding pair of loudspeakers
finished in teak, but with a few scratches and marks on them. What
would you recommend to bring the finish back up and disguise the
scratches?

Don't look at them. Concentrate on the listening.

Or, in modernspeak, get a life.

Mary

What's up Mary - bad hair day?

No, you're having a bad finish day/week/month ...

Mary