Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thick wall bore hole advice

I have a waste water pipe to route, the best way to go would be
through a wall... however the wall is 20" thick whin stone (probably
with looser/rubble centre).

Should i attempt to bore a hole through this wall? (say 6" diameter) -
and what would i need to do it (from a hire place). How long will it
take? How much mess? (I'd be doing it from a cupboard under the
stairs)

The other alternative is to go around the wall, this is the way the
15mm flow and return from the boiler has been routed in the past, this
would introduce 2 extra 90 deg bends in the waste water pipe - if i
did this would 2" pipe be more suitable than 1.5".

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from contains these words:

I have a waste water pipe to route, the best way to go would be
through a wall... however the wall is 20" thick whin stone (probably
with looser/rubble centre).

Should i attempt to bore a hole through this wall? (say 6" diameter) -
and what would i need to do it (from a hire place). How long will it
take? How much mess? (I'd be doing it from a cupboard under the
stairs)

The other alternative is to go around the wall, this is the way the
15mm flow and return from the boiler has been routed in the past, this
would introduce 2 extra 90 deg bends in the waste water pipe - if i
did this would 2" pipe be more suitable than 1.5".

I have in the past put pipes through rubble filled walls by knocking a
hole right through the wall and building back round the installed pipe.
For a small pipe you may need to take out no more than one stone either
side of the wall and if it is a wall built with lime mortar they should
come out quite easily. (Too easily and the whole wall might start to
collapse and you wouldn't want that to happen).

A small amount of rubble infill might fall down as you excavate the
centre. If there is any chance of a further fall onto the installed pipe
put in a substantial sleeve or a through stone above the pipe. If you
are lucky there will already be a convenient through in place. If you
are unlucky the stone you first try to remove will be a through. (It
seems to have been a common practice to use through stones as wall ties
in rubble filled walls).

The scariest task I have ever had to do was to make good the partially
collapsed wall above a doorway knocked through a 2' wall (once an
outside wall) without using adequate support. Luckily for the
perpetrator one side of the wall had a cupboard (with lintel above)
built in directly above the new opening so only one skin of the wall
gave way and not completely but the wall sagged to such an extent that
one of the original corner quoins was left at an angle of some 30
degrees to the horizontal and several throughs pulled out of the largely
intact other skin. Remedial work (several decades earlier) had been
confined to giving the bulge a thick cement overcoat which may have had
only a cosmetic effect.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Aug, 11:27, Roger wrote:
The message .com
from contains these words:

[...]

one stone either side would be nice - but i've already made a hole in
one of hese walls for an SVP pipe (to the outside) and i know this
wont happen - i would end up removing a very large amount of stone.
so i think a core drill is my only option - what i would like to know
in advance is whether a hired core drill would do the job, and what
exactly to ask for.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

what i would like to know
in advance is whether a hired core drill would do the job, and what
exactly to ask for.

Although HSS are outrageously expensive - I've found that they do
listen carefully to what I need to do and make good recommendations
from their products. Phone them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
On 14 Aug, 11:27, Roger wrote:
The message .com
from contains these words:

[...]

This appears to be the system

http://www.bes.co.uk/products/195.asp

And even this kit with extension tube only goes to 400 mm although you may
be able to fit more extensions

However I would not want to be sitting in an understairs cupboard whilst
using it

In fact I don't think that I would want to use it at all

Drilling the pilot hole would be a challenge in whinstone and the rubble
infill could throw it off line

I can also foresee problems with the rubble when using the core drill

The few times I have done this sort of work I have used the stone from each
side method already described

Tony