Posted to uk.d-i-y
ian ian is offline

Default Tongue and groove chipboard flooring question.

I need to replace one sheet of the 18mm 600x2400 chipboard in my
attic. After removing the adjacent sheets I bought a new sheet from
B&Q, but the tongue and grooves are not on the same edges so it won't
fit.

The existing flooring is maybe 5-8 years old and says on the back
Span Floor P5 (formerly C4) BSEN 312 AP.

Standing on the floor looking down at the top surface the groove is on
the 2400m side on the left and the 600m side at the top.

Does anybody know who makes 18mm chipboard with the grooves in the
same place?

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 22:30:23 +0100, "Heliotrope Smith"
mused:

"ian" wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to replace one sheet of the 18mm 600x2400 chipboard in my
attic. After removing the adjacent sheets I bought a new sheet from
B&Q, but the tongue and grooves are not on the same edges so it won't
fit.

The existing flooring is maybe 5-8 years old and says on the back
Span Floor P5 (formerly C4) BSEN 312 AP.

Standing on the floor looking down at the top surface the groove is on
the 2400m side on the left and the 600m side at the top.

Does anybody know who makes 18mm chipboard with the grooves in the
same place?

Have you tried turning the new sheet over?
Just a thought.

I thought that, but then thought there must be something I'm missing.

I also turned the post upside down as well.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 22:30:23 +0100, "Heliotrope Smith"
mused:

"ian" wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to replace one sheet of the 18mm 600x2400 chipboard in my
attic. After removing the adjacent sheets I bought a new sheet from
B&Q, but the tongue and grooves are not on the same edges so it won't
fit.

The existing flooring is maybe 5-8 years old and says on the back
Span Floor P5 (formerly C4) BSEN 312 AP.

Standing on the floor looking down at the top surface the groove is on
the 2400m side on the left and the 600m side at the top.

Does anybody know who makes 18mm chipboard with the grooves in the
same place?

Have you tried turning the new sheet over?
Just a thought.

I thought that, but then thought there must be something I'm missing.

You probably are. Never mind it is late.

I also turned the post upside down as well.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ian wrote:
I need to replace one sheet of the 18mm 600x2400 chipboard in my
attic. After removing the adjacent sheets I bought a new sheet from
B&Q, but the tongue and grooves are not on the same edges so it won't
fit.

The existing flooring is maybe 5-8 years old and says on the back
Span Floor P5 (formerly C4) BSEN 312 AP.

Standing on the floor looking down at the top surface the groove is on
the 2400m side on the left and the 600m side at the top.

Does anybody know who makes 18mm chipboard with the grooves in the
same place?

Thanks.

Ian,

You don't make "new grooves". You simply plane the tongues off the board,
drop it into place and screw it down to the ceiling joists - exaclty as you
would when replacing a tongue and grooved "real" floorboard!

Or have I missed something here?

Brian G

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ian ian is offline

Thanks for thoughts. This is "standard" 4 edge t&g sheet/ board
flooring. But apperently different manufacturers have slightly
different edges so its not always compatible.

The board has a top side and underside and the t&g are not symetrical
so turning over doesn't work. I don't want to cut tongue off,
especially when I can slot in a full sheet, (if I can get the right
one).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 14, 10:04 am, ian wrote:

The board has a top side and underside and the t&g are not symetrical
so turning over doesn't work. I don't want to cut tongue off,
especially when I can slot in a full sheet, (if I can get the right
one).

Just put noggins in wherever the boards meet so that any weight on the
ends is taken by the joists. If the lengths don't overlap a joist,
screw or nail a 2x2 along that length. If you need to put a wider
piece in you might be better off running a noggin through at each end
and fixing a 2x2 to that.

Knock off the lower tongue so that the board will slip into place.

All that matters is that the abutting edges all have some measure of
support, that's the old boards too, not just the new.