Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A case for not having the hot water on 24/7

Got home today to find the bathroom (& house) full of steam and the boiler
thrashing away on full blast. Water was ****ing out of the hot tap on the
bath and didn't respond to the usual off type turning.

Turned out the hot washer had failed by splitting radially and went from off
to full on sometime during in my hours out. I've never had one fail quite so
dramatically without first giving a hint. I've seen them crumble or just wear
out but nothing like this. Has anyone else seen them go this way?

Glad it didn't happen on one of my trips away, the gas bill from that sort of
fault could have been quite eye watering.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:53:23 GMT, fred wrote:

Got home today to find the bathroom (& house) full of steam and the boiler
thrashing away on full blast. Water was ****ing out of the hot tap on the
bath and didn't respond to the usual off type turning.

Turned out the hot washer had failed by splitting radially and went from off
to full on sometime during in my hours out. I've never had one fail quite so
dramatically without first giving a hint. I've seen them crumble or just wear
out but nothing like this. Has anyone else seen them go this way?

Glad it didn't happen on one of my trips away, the gas bill from that sort of
fault could have been quite eye watering.

One way to have all your wallpaper stripped off ..:-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
fred wrote:
Glad it didn't happen on one of my trips away, the gas bill from that
sort of fault could have been quite eye watering.

When leaving home for more than a couple of days I turn off water and the
mains circuits I don't need - only leaving the alarm etc live. But then I
did design the plumbing and electrics to make this easy.

--
*To err is human. To forgive is against company policy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Neat, practical route for two water pipes, in this case? Mike D UK diy 6 June 25th 07 10:28 AM
CHAINSAW CASE J T Woodworking 0 February 26th 05 07:08 AM
In case anyone needs: Lennie the Lurker Metalworking 2 May 23rd 04 04:31 AM