Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Home office / study furniture

I want to fit out our new study with (ideally) fully fitted furniture,
the kind of think that Sharps of Hammonds do, but I want to DIY. I've
done a couple of bedrooms with Wickes stuff that I'm pleased with, but
they don't do filing cabinets or drawers. MFI seems to be the only
place that does a good range, but they are not properly fitted-
Ideally I'd like single worktop runs spanning the units rather than
joins in the worktop over every unit.

Anyone have ideas for where I might get the bits and pieces without
paying Sharps or whoever to fit it all...?

Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Neil wrote:
Anyone have ideas for where I might get the bits and pieces without
paying Sharps or whoever to fit it all...?

IKEA?

Alex
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-13 12:52:23 +0100, Neil said:

I want to fit out our new study with (ideally) fully fitted furniture,
the kind of think that Sharps of Hammonds do, but I want to DIY. I've
done a couple of bedrooms with Wickes stuff that I'm pleased with, but
they don't do filing cabinets or drawers. MFI seems to be the only
place that does a good range, but they are not properly fitted-
Ideally I'd like single worktop runs spanning the units rather than
joins in the worktop over every unit.

Anyone have ideas for where I might get the bits and pieces without
paying Sharps or whoever to fit it all...?

Neil

Kitchen furniture is a better source for sizes suitable for an office
as well as many of the things that one can either use directly or
adapt. I made one some while ago with this approach.

- Base cabinets fitted without the legs or with lower ones (e.g.
battens on the floor) give a desk height that is about correct. One
might need a deeper worktop than 600mm, or alternatively reduce the
depth of the carcases. I made the desk L-shaped and arranged the
sitting position to be in the corner. The worktop was cut to have a
section across the corner at 45 degrees - doing that was the fiddliest
bit.

- Pan drawer fronts give a suitable height for filing. IIRC, I used
500mm wide units. You can make a box for the inside from ply or MDF
and fit the drawer front to it. Then the whole thing will go into a
carcase using slide extensions. Along the top of the internal box, on
each side, and running front to back, I fitted T shaped aluminium
extrusions.

- There are various worktops that make for a good desktop. I used a
hardwood block one and finished it in Danish Oil.

- For other bits and pieces and hardware, take a look at the web sites
of Isaac Lord and Woodfit.

I did also look for office type furniture but didn't find very much
available that wasn't either office utility style or just of poor
quality.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Aug, 15:49, Andy Hall wrote:
On 2007-08-13 12:52:23 +0100, Neil said:

[...]

Hmm, interesting thoughts. I shall look into that a bit further!

Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-13 15:55:05 +0100, Neil said:

Hmm, interesting thoughts. I shall look into that a bit further!

Neil

If nothing else, there's much more choice than for other furniture types.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Neil" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone have ideas for where I might get the bits and pieces without
paying Sharps or whoever to fit it all...?

Office World?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Cain wrote:
"Neil" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone have ideas for where I might get the bits and pieces without
paying Sharps or whoever to fit it all...?

Office World?

IKEA do some good office furniture.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

It's what I'm sitting at now. The horror of going to Ikea makes getting it a
trial, though.

Bought some wire racking from Ikea for my lock-up last week. They are
about the best place to buy it since the same unit from other suppliers
costs between 2 and 4 times as much. I took a long, late lunch break for
the visit thinking that would minimise the pain.

What I hadn't counted on was that the afternoon is when the drooling,
****-soaked, incontinent wrinkle brigade make their visit to Ikea. Even
worse than a Saturday afternoon, they block the corridors, stagger arond
at random, ask fecking stupid questions in the cafeteria, lose money at
the bottom of their handbag/purse, attempt to pay by cheque (for which
they have forgotten the cheque card) and push other shoppers out of the
way in their haste to get at something or other.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Steve Firth
scribeth thus
Huge wrote:

It's what I'm sitting at now. The horror of going to Ikea makes getting it a
trial, though.

Bought some wire racking from Ikea for my lock-up last week. They are
about the best place to buy it since the same unit from other suppliers
costs between 2 and 4 times as much. I took a long, late lunch break for
the visit thinking that would minimise the pain.

What I hadn't counted on was that the afternoon is when the drooling,
****-soaked, incontinent wrinkle brigade make their visit to Ikea. Even
worse than a Saturday afternoon, they block the corridors, stagger arond
at random, ask fecking stupid questions in the cafeteria, lose money at
the bottom of their handbag/purse, attempt to pay by cheque (for which
they have forgotten the cheque card) and push other shoppers out of the
way in their haste to get at something or other.

Trouble is that it all will come to us one day..

Time isn't that kind you know!....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-13, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
Roger Cain wrote:
"Neil" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone have ideas for where I might get the bits and pieces without
paying Sharps or whoever to fit it all...?

Office World?

IKEA do some good office furniture.

It's what I'm sitting at now. The horror of going to Ikea makes
getting it a trial, though.

True enough. although the hot dogs ease the pain a little - yum!

Despite the jokes, I reckon IKEA flatpack is about the best around, well
made, well designed.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
Huge wrote:

It's what I'm sitting at now. The horror of going to Ikea makes getting it a
trial, though.

Bought some wire racking from Ikea for my lock-up last week. They are
about the best place to buy it since the same unit from other suppliers
costs between 2 and 4 times as much. I took a long, late lunch break for
the visit thinking that would minimise the pain.

What I hadn't counted on was that the afternoon is when the drooling,
****-soaked, incontinent wrinkle brigade make their visit to Ikea. Even
worse than a Saturday afternoon, they block the corridors, stagger arond
at random, ask fecking stupid questions in the cafeteria, lose money at
the bottom of their handbag/purse, attempt to pay by cheque (for which
they have forgotten the cheque card) and push other shoppers out of the
way in their haste to get at something or other.

There should be a fast lane for VIPs
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Stuart Noble
writes
Steve Firth wrote:
Huge wrote:

[...]

Very Impatient Pillocks?
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Twydell wrote:

In message , Stuart Noble
writes
Steve Firth wrote:
Huge wrote:

[...]

You enjoy being trapped behind a wall of incontinence pad wearing ****s?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Twydell wrote:
In message , Stuart Noble
writes
Steve Firth wrote:
Huge wrote:

[...]

I believe there are now pensioners' coach trips to Ikea with fully
reclining commodes, particularly useful for the homeward journey when
the meat balls start to kick in. Commode wheelchairs are issued on
arrival and Ikea commode assistants are on hand to deal with overflows.
The entire store is hosed down every 15 minutes. Ikea is firmly
committed to a non-wrinklephobic policy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
Peter Twydell wrote:

In message , Stuart Noble
writes
Steve Firth wrote:
Huge wrote:

[...]

I often forget to put mine on

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

You enjoy being trapped behind a wall of incontinence pad wearing ****s?

I often forget to put mine on

Ah, you'd have been the one two in front in the queue for meatballs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

You enjoy being trapped behind a wall of incontinence pad wearing ****s?

I often forget to put mine on

Ah, you'd have been the one two in front in the queue for meatballs.

I have a divine right to be at the front of all queues, even if I can't
remember what I'm queuing for
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have now bought some kitchen units to 'adjust', so thanks for the
idea, I think it should look great, and fairly cheap too.

Neil