Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing Floor Tiles

Hi,

My kitchen needs a bit of a renovation, and Ideally I'd like to take
up the current floor tiles and replace with something a little more
stylish.

However, having experienced taking up floor tiles in my very small
porch, and the effort and mess it involved, I am wondering if there is
an "easier" way to remove floor tiles and get all the tile cement up.

In my porch I used a hammer and chisel but it took forever as the
tiles were so hard, even when I got under them, the cement stayed
firmly on the ground and I had to slowly chip this away.

Surely there must be an easier way!!!!

The tiles are ceramic, and half of them are layed on the wooden floor
(I assume on sheets of ply) - so these shoudl be easyish to remove.
However the rest are layed on concrete floor, and so its this part
that I need advice for!

Tom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 6, 11:14 am, Thomarse wrote:
[...]

You can get a hand tile remover tool which is basically a big flat
blade on the end of a long handle (broom handle length).

Alternatively there are tile removing machines that you can hire.
Dunno how much but probably cheap enough to be worth it if there are a
lot to remove.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomarse wrote:
[...]

I am afraid that there is no easy way. That I know of.

A hired kanga type machine chisel helps a lot tho.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomarse wrote:
[...]

It depends on the adhesive they were laid with. Modern floor tile
adhesive is nothing like as difficult as cement, which was used in a lot
of older houses. Even wall tiles in 30s houses are impossible to get off
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomarse wrote:
[...]

It is the perfect job for an SDS drill with appropriate chisel bit.

There are plenty of previous posts on the benefits of SDS drills and
recommendations as to which one to buy.

I removed the quarry tiles from our porch using it and it in comparison to
using a hammer and chisel it is an enjoyable job, also made short work of
the bathroom wall tiles.

I did also shell out for one of the specific tile removal bits as in
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...+tile&x=0&y=0#
although I believe it wasn't as dear as this at the time. It is not
essential but can help minimise any damage to the floor.

cheers

David

Removing slate floor tiles [email protected] UK diy 10 January 12th 07 12:31 PM
removing quarry floor tiles dbroms UK diy 5 November 1st 05 11:41 AM
Removing Floor Tiles Arthur UK diy 2 May 21st 05 02:31 PM
Removing Vinyl floor tiles Pedge UK diy 5 April 30th 05 12:05 AM
problems removing vinyl floor tiles computer_user UK diy 0 November 4th 03 10:36 PM