Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default replacement water main rules

The guidelines from Severn trent about replacement water mains
contains a diagram specifiying that if the new water pipe is layed
through a solid floor, it must be layed in a continuous sleeved
insulated duct more than 750mm below the surface (fair enough), but
also it must have a point of entry into the building *less* than 750mm
from the outside wall it passes through.
Well, my old lead pipe runs under the solid hall and kitchen floors
before appearing in the kitchen. How would I comply ? I cannot run
pipes above ground along the hall !
Any idea how this should in interpreted ?
Cheers,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
ups.com...
The guidelines from Severn trent about replacement water mains
contains a diagram specifiying that if the new water pipe is layed
through a solid floor, it must be layed in a continuous sleeved
insulated duct more than 750mm below the surface (fair enough), but
also it must have a point of entry into the building *less* than 750mm
from the outside wall it passes through.
Well, my old lead pipe runs under the solid hall and kitchen floors
before appearing in the kitchen. How would I comply ?

not just how could you comply, if you have a solid floor how did you intend
to reach a suitable internal location through you solid floor?

hard to advise without knowing the site and building layout.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Aug, 16:47, sm_jamieson wrote:
The guidelines from Severn trent about replacement water mains
contains a diagram specifiying that if the new water pipe is layed
through a solid floor, it must be layed in a continuous sleeved
insulated duct more than 750mm below the surface (fair enough), but
also it must have a point of entry into the building *less* than 750mm
from the outside wall it passes through.
Well, my old lead pipe runs under the solid hall and kitchen floors
before appearing in the kitchen. How would I comply ? I cannot run
pipes above ground along the hall !
Any idea how this should in interpreted ?
Cheers,
Simon.

I read that as the underground main to emerge at the stoptap being
within 750mm of the point of entry. In which case your further route
is pretty much down to you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
ups.com...
The guidelines from Severn trent about replacement water mains
contains a diagram specifiying that if the new water pipe is layed
through a solid floor, it must be layed in a continuous sleeved
insulated duct more than 750mm below the surface (fair enough), but
also it must have a point of entry into the building *less* than 750mm
from the outside wall it passes through.
Well, my old lead pipe runs under the solid hall and kitchen floors
before appearing in the kitchen. How would I comply ? I cannot run
pipes above ground along the hall !
Any idea how this should in interpreted ?
Cheers,
Simon.

Tell me how they would ever know unless you put an advert in the local
paper!
It should be interpreted by using your common sense and thinking.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Aug, 17:48, cynic wrote:
On 3 Aug, 16:47, sm_jamieson wrote:

The guidelines from Severn trent about replacement water mains
contains a diagram specifiying that if the new water pipe is layed
through a solid floor, it must be layed in a continuous sleeved
insulated duct more than 750mm below the surface (fair enough), but
also it must have a point of entry into the building *less* than 750mm
from the outside wall it passes through.
Well, my old lead pipe runs under the solid hall and kitchen floors
before appearing in the kitchen. How would I comply ? I cannot run
pipes above ground along the hall !
Any idea how this should in interpreted ?
Cheers,
Simon.

I read that as the underground main to emerge at the stoptap being
within 750mm of the point of entry. In which case your further route
is pretty much down to you

But I want the stop-tap in the kitchen, not in the hall ! The house
layout is very common. I cannot believe all lead replacements on these
old houses have the new stopcock within 750mm of the front wall.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Aug, 17:34, "Jim Alexander" wrote:
"sm_jamieson" wrote in message

ups.com...

The guidelines from Severn trent about replacement water mains
contains a diagram specifiying that if the new water pipe is layed
through a solid floor, it must be layed in a continuous sleeved
insulated duct more than 750mm below the surface (fair enough), but
also it must have a point of entry into the building *less* than 750mm
from the outside wall it passes through.
Well, my old lead pipe runs under the solid hall and kitchen floors
before appearing in the kitchen. How would I comply ?

not just how could you comply, if you have a solid floor how did you intend
to reach a suitable internal location through you solid floor?

hard to advise without knowing the site and building layout.

Jim A

You would mole it from the front garden to a hole in the kitchen
floor.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Aug, 18:44, "David" wrote:
"sm_jamieson" wrote in message

ups.com... The guidelines from Severn trent about replacement water mains
contains a diagram specifiying that if the new water pipe is layed
through a solid floor, it must be layed in a continuous sleeved
insulated duct more than 750mm below the surface (fair enough), but
also it must have a point of entry into the building *less* than 750mm
from the outside wall it passes through.
Well, my old lead pipe runs under the solid hall and kitchen floors
before appearing in the kitchen. How would I comply ? I cannot run
pipes above ground along the hall !
Any idea how this should in interpreted ?
Cheers,
Simon.

Tell me how they would ever know unless you put an advert in the local
paper!
It should be interpreted by using your common sense and thinking.

I imagine they would want to check that part of the installation as
much as the trench.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 14:22:39 -0700, sm_jamieson
mused:

[...]

Have you ever had a mole wotsit done? It's sometimes easier, and
cheaper, to just dig the floors up.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Still guessing about the property type, but assuming it's a terraced
property, I have previously built a new riser into a partition wall behind
the front door. That should satisfy ST leaving you to get the pipe any
which way to your kitchen. Good luck with the moleing. Got a quote yet?

Alternatively, consult a ST approved plumber for guidance.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Aug, 16:47, sm_jamieson wrote:
The guidelines fromSeverntrentaboutreplacemen****er mains
contains a diagram specifiying that if the new water pipe is layed
through a solid floor, it must be layed in a continuous sleeved
insulated duct more than 750mm below the surface (fair enough), but
also it must have a point of entry into the building *less* than 750mm
from the outside wall it passes through.
Well, my oldleadpipe runs under the solid hall and kitchen floors
before appearing in the kitchen. How would I comply ? I cannot run
pipes above ground along the hall !
Any idea how this should in interpreted ?
Cheers,
Simon.

Well it turns out the shared lead main runs down an entry and then
across the back gardens, and I am the last on the run. I would have a
new main from the road, under front drive, under front and back room
suspended floors (which is OK in their rules), through kitchen wall
footings/solid floor and the stopcock could be in the same place as
now. I could leave the lead to an outside tap for now, although I'm
not sure if this would prevent the lead replacement scheme subsidies.

Simon.

Replacement windows in breach of conservation area rules Martin Pentreath UK diy 204 November 13th 06 06:49 PM
Sub-main replacement Tony Bryer UK diy 7 July 25th 06 10:30 AM
micro irrigation / water rules T i m UK diy 12 September 12th 05 08:04 AM
main water line replacement cost? [email protected] Home Repair 9 September 10th 04 02:34 AM
main water line replacement cost? [email protected] Home Ownership 9 September 10th 04 02:34 AM