Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ridge repair

I noticed that there are lumps of cement lying on my roof which have come
from the ridge tile joint to the roof. Its only a few years since it was
last repaired and I want to have a go at doing it properly so it will last a
bit longer. I guess it means lifting each tile and relaing on a bed of
fresh mortar. The ridge tiles are half round concrete on top of concrete
tiles with a rounded overlap on the ajacent tile which leaves a gap where
the ridge meets the roof. Any tips on the best way to acheive a long lasting
repair. How long should a proper job last?

Thanks

Archie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 22:58:46 GMT, "Archie" wrote:

I noticed that there are lumps of cement lying on my roof which have come
from the ridge tile joint to the roof. Its only a few years since it was
last repaired and I want to have a go at doing it properly so it will last a
bit longer. I guess it means lifting each tile and relaing on a bed of
fresh mortar. The ridge tiles are half round concrete on top of concrete
tiles with a rounded overlap on the ajacent tile which leaves a gap where
the ridge meets the roof. Any tips on the best way to acheive a long lasting
repair. How long should a proper job last?

10 - 15 years ++ ?

Mine were re-done 1993 and are still OK.

A proper repair involves removing them all and and rebedding them in.

The "Bucket of Jollop" merchants who show up after a storm "Just
working down the road" only re-point around them.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Archie" wrote in message
. uk...
I noticed that there are lumps of cement lying on my roof which have come
from the ridge tile joint to the roof. Its only a few years since it was
last repaired and I want to have a go at doing it properly so it will last

bit longer. I guess it means lifting each tile and relaing on a bed of
fresh mortar. The ridge tiles are half round concrete on top of concrete
tiles with a rounded overlap on the ajacent tile which leaves a gap where
the ridge meets the roof. Any tips on the best way to acheive a long

lasting
repair. How long should a proper job last?

Thanks

Archie

Take off the ridge tiles one by one, place the first ridge on top of the
other end so there is a one ridge gap. Clean away all loose mortar from the
tiles and clean the ridge of mortar. Take off the next ridge and place it in
the gap from the first one removed but hang it over the top of the tiles on
one side, this will make a platform for a bucket to stand . Repeat this
until the end. Mix a sand and cement 2 sand and 1 cement, a stiff mix, don't
make it sloppy or it wont stand up in the rolls of the tiles. Get the first
ridge tile and place it equal and central to the ridge tree. With the point
of the trowel mark the edge of the ridge on the tiles. Remove the ridge and
fill the pan of the rolls with mortar and across the top of the rolls the
length of the first ridge inside of the mark. Do not fill the under side of
the ridge solid. Place a piece broken tile level with the ends of the verge
across the two end tiles making sure that it doesn't fowl the underside of
the ridge. Fill the end on top of the piece of tile with mortar about 3" or
75mm . align the ridge central and tap down until it touches the top of the
rolls. Scrap of the mortar along the side and point. If the mortar is to
wet all it will do is sag, this is no good. Repeat until you get to the end
filling in the joint as at the start. When you get to the end put the end
ridge on first and the second from the end last, you may have to open the
joint or re cut the second from the ridge to fit. Dont forget to point both
end ridge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"keith_765" wrote in message ...

"Archie" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

Thanks keith. I can't quite work out how you make a platform for the bucket though. Since I live in a semi, Is it OK to start at the
center of the roof and work towards the gable end?

Archie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Archie" wrote in message
. uk...

"keith_765" wrote in message

"Archie" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

The ridge are either segmental or half round. If you try to balance a
bucket of mortar on the ridge it will roll off. By seating the ridge tile
over the top of the tiles on one side the ridge will support one half and
the tiles on the other side will support the other half of the base of the
buckit.

Yes its better to start in the centre but remember to fix the end ridge next
to last as you may have to adjust or cut the second one in to fiit the gap.

Since I live in a semi, Is it OK to start at the
center of the roof and work towards the gable end?

Archie

How do I repair my tornado damaged Ridge Vents? jonesbf Home Repair 5 March 5th 07 04:57 PM
Ridge Vents JA Home Repair 5 June 26th 06 05:39 PM
Vent bathroom fan to ridge vent by constructing an adapter at ridge? Mike Home Repair 6 June 14th 06 03:23 PM
Ridge Vents Peter Wells Home Repair 1 September 23rd 05 02:08 AM
ridge vents Choreboy Home Repair 24 August 22nd 05 07:30 PM