Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Varnishing brasswork ?

I'm under pressure by H-I-D to dismantle the brass hinges on the
toilet seat, clean them up and re-varnish. Can someone please advise
me what varnish I should use.

I've warned my good lady that in all likelihood any varnishing won't
last for any longer than it has done up till now...... but it has to
be done !!!

Thanks

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm under pressure by H-I-D to dismantle the brass hinges on the
toilet seat, clean them up and re-varnish. Can someone please advise
me what varnish I should use.

I've warned my good lady that in all likelihood any varnishing won't
last for any longer than it has done up till now...... but it has to
be done !!!

Thanks

Rob

Laquering is its name.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:50:25 -0700, robgraham
wrote:

I'm under pressure by H-I-D to dismantle the brass hinges on the
toilet seat, clean them up and re-varnish. Can someone please advise
me what varnish I should use.

There's only one that's going to work - methacrylate polymer in a
solvent. Axminster sell it (Rustins AFAIR) as "brass lacquer". Small
jars, so not too expensive. Nowt else is going to stick particularly
well to brass.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
I'm under pressure by H-I-D to dismantle the brass hinges on the
toilet seat, clean them up and re-varnish. Can someone please advise
me what varnish I should use.

I've warned my good lady that in all likelihood any varnishing won't
last for any longer than it has done up till now...... but it has to
be done !!!

No. it doesn't last very long.

I have been down this route with guitar escutcheons and knobs.

A clear lacquer of the cellulose variety brushes on easily enough..but
its not very tough.

Ditto acrylic.

Possibly the best bet is to use a polyester casting resin and dip the
parts in that.

Several times if necessary, and hang up to dry/set in between.

That will encapsulate them in a hard clear shell.

Thanks

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm under pressure by H-I-D to dismantle the brass hinges on the
toilet seat, clean them up and re-varnish. Can someone please advise
me what varnish I should use.

I've warned my good lady that in all likelihood any varnishing won't
last for any longer than it has done up till now...... but it has to
be done !!!

Thanks

Rob

The trouble is that the slightest scratch (even the best lacquer isn't
perfect) will allow air contact and therefore tarnishing, which I think
looks worse than an all-over patina.

If you try to remove it prepare for a marathon!

Who looks at hinges on the toilet seat anyway?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm under pressure by H-I-D to dismantle the brass hinges on the
toilet seat, clean them up and re-varnish. Can someone please advise
me what varnish I should use.

I've warned my good lady that in all likelihood any varnishing won't
last for any longer than it has done up till now...... but it has to
be done !!!

Thanks

Rob

For small size articles use clear nail varnish.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm under pressure by H-I-D to dismantle the brass hinges on the
toilet seat, clean them up and re-varnish. Can someone please advise
me what varnish I should use.

I've warned my good lady that in all likelihood any varnishing won't
last for any longer than it has done up till now...... but it has to
be done !!!

For small size articles use clear nail varnish.

Pointless really - even epoxy lacquers wouldn't survive long in the
toilet environment. A couple of splashes of bleach and other
cleaners...and worse..and there goes the lacquer.

Best bet for a durable yellow metal finish in that environment would
be gold plate

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
Stephen Howard - Woodwind repairs & period restorationswww.shwoodwind.co.uk

Thanks Stephen - I would really like to persuade my wife of that !
I'll pass on your comments and leave her to pay for gold plated ones
if they can be found !!

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:50:25 -0700, robgraham
wrote:

snip

For small size articles use clear nail varnish.

Pointless really - even epoxy lacquers wouldn't survive long in the
toilet environment. A couple of splashes of bleach and other
cleaners...and worse..and there goes the lacquer.

Best bet for a durable yellow metal finish in that environment would
be gold plate

Thanks Stephen - I would really like to persuade my wife of that !
I'll pass on your comments and leave her to pay for gold plated ones
if they can be found !!

Might be worth getting a quote...it's been a while since I had any
gold plating done ( couple of sax mouthpieces ), can't remember what
it cost me but I was surprised at how cheap it was.
I think if you buy them ready-plated you'll get stung.

You can tell her I see lacquered brass every day ( saxes ), and even
in that relatively mild environment it doesn't last. I wouldn't waste
my own time lacquering my bog-brass.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
I'm under pressure by H-I-D to dismantle the brass hinges on the
toilet seat, clean them up and re-varnish. Can someone please advise
me what varnish I should use.

Rustins do an acrylic-based clear metal lacquer that's about is good as
you're going to find for this sort of thing. See
http://www.rustins.co.uk/product.htm?chgprod=TRAL

--
Andy

Help Varnishing Problem Blackadder Woodworking 8 October 21st 06 08:21 PM
Varnishing kitchen cupboards informer UK diy 9 May 4th 06 07:33 AM
Is there a 'dip' type cleaner for intricate tarnished brasswork. Peter UK diy 10 October 19th 05 01:27 PM
Wood Varnishing lawrence zarb UK diy 4 September 9th 04 08:05 PM
Varnishing over Paint Bob UK diy 11 August 6th 03 12:06 AM