bob

Default photocell capacity

I am planning to use a photocell (eg Screwfix cat no 11330, max load
capacity 5A) to trigger 6 external lights. These will be low-energy 16w 2-D
fittings. Will this work, or do I need a specific type of photocell to drive
these?

Thanks for any help.

Dave Plowman

In article ,
bob wrote:
I am planning to use a photocell (eg Screwfix cat no 11330, max load
capacity 5A) to trigger 6 external lights. These will be low-energy 16w
2-D fittings. Will this work, or do I need a specific type of photocell
to drive these?

It should state whether it's suitable for low energy and or fluorescent
loads, as many are not. And it's not just a question of the current
handling capacity.

--
*Oh, what a tangled website we weave when first we practice *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 14:09:26 +0100, "bob" wrote:

I am planning to use a photocell (eg Screwfix cat no 11330, max load
capacity 5A) to trigger 6 external lights. These will be low-energy 16w 2-D
fittings. Will this work, or do I need a specific type of photocell to drive
these?

I'd suspect that one is "a flasher" (search back on this ng). It
bleeds a little current through the lamps to power the photocell
circuit. It'll work, but occasionally this current is enough to
trigger a flash from one of the lamps. Using a simple relay would
avoid this.

Ignore me if anyone has tried it, with this particular unit.
fred

In article , Andy Dingley
writes
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 14:09:26 +0100, "bob" wrote:

I am planning to use a photocell (eg Screwfix cat no 11330, max load
capacity 5A) to trigger 6 external lights. These will be low-energy 16w 2-D
fittings. Will this work, or do I need a specific type of photocell to drive
these?

I'd suspect that one is "a flasher" (search back on this ng). It
bleeds a little current through the lamps to power the photocell
circuit. It'll work, but occasionally this current is enough to
trigger a flash from one of the lamps. Using a simple relay would
avoid this.

Ignore me if anyone has tried it, with this particular unit.

I suspect you may be right Andy, but I also think that the current through
the relay will not be enough to feed the little bleeder ;-), such circuits need
a 60W or so incandescent to work.

To the OP, if you buy this and it has a neutral connection then it sounds
ok, if not then beware. If it turns out not to have a neutral, then you would
need a 60W incandescent load in the circuit too, not very energy efficient
tho.

I had a look at ones on tlc but they have minimal info of this point too.
btw: My experience relates to PIRs not 'photcells'.
--
fred
Peter Parry

wrote:

I am planning to use a photocell (eg Screwfix cat no 11330, max load
capacity 5A) to trigger 6 external lights. These will be low-energy 16w 2-D
fittings.

Apart from the concerns raised by others 2D lights are very lethargic
about getting up to full brightness especially in cold weather when
they can take 5 or 10 minutes to get a decent light output. Unless
you expect the lights to be on for a long time incandescent may well
be a better choice.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/