Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OTTiscali

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/forums/show...5&page=1&pp=15
Is it a Chinese company?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer used his keyboard to write :
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/forums/show...5&page=1&pp=15
Is it a Chinese company?

Solution - Use an alternative (none Tiscali) DNS source.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
oups.com...

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/forums/show...5&page=1&pp=15
Is it a Chinese company?

Oh they are at it again. This explains the many problems that the
incompetent engineering staff have caused for Tiscali customers. They would
be dismissed if they worked for any other company, especially considering
their past cock-up record over the past 12months.
Forum staff are now removing posts from anyone having a real go as they
can't lie to those working in IT.
I'm going to Virgin soon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:23:16 -0700, Weatherlawyer
mused:

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/forums/show...5&page=1&pp=15
Is it a Chinese company?

I think Orange do that as well, didn't look for a way to opt out, just
switched to using a different DNS server.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/forums/show...5&page=1&pp=15
Is it a Chinese company?

These guys can help, if you are able to set your DNS servers:

http://www.opendns.com
http://www.everydns.net

But be warned they also interfere with what you type, but you can turn
it off, and they are up-front about it.

My ISP provides DNS services, but I don't use them. It's not a good
idea to keep all your IT eggs with one basket.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
oups.com...

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/forums/show...5&page=1&pp=15
Is it a Chinese company?

Thanks very much for that information.
I have been searching my Windows registry for references to
http://results.ispconnect.co.uk because I assumed a virus
had hi-jacked the default search page.
it didn't even occur to me that it was a DNS issue,
but I suppose it would have twigged when I connected
my laptop to a different ISP.

I have used the web response page to ask them to remove it.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Weatherlawyer used his keyboard to write :
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/forums/show...5&page=1&pp=15
Is it a Chinese company?

Solution - Use an alternative (none Tiscali) DNS source.

Better still, ask for your MAC and vote with your wallet...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Also, has anyone else had problems with Tiscali blocking port
119 in the evenings?

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 11, 11:04 pm, "Andrew" wrote:
"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message

oups.com...

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/forums/show...5&page=1&pp=15
Is it a Chinese company?

Oh they are at it again. This explains the many problems that the
incompetent engineering staff have caused for Tiscali customers. They would
be dismissed if they worked for any other company, especially considering
their past cock-up record over the past 12months.
Forum staff are now removing posts from anyone having a real go as they
can't lie to those working in IT.
I'm going to Virgin soon.

What is anyone with some IT background doing with Tiscali in the first
place?

I was wondering that as I read the article. Seems to me they were
asking for it. Or are they trolls and flamers?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-12, Graham. wrote:

Also, has anyone else had problems with Tiscali blocking port
119 in the evenings?

Oh, yes.

I get "free" broadband through my employers which ends up
after about three levels of sub-contracting with Tiscali.

They traffic shape NNTP after about 3pm weekdays and 11am weekends
and Bank Holidays.

I have been trying to have this restriction removed for about 3 months
now, and been completely unable to find anyone who both knows what I
am talking about and is prepared to do anything, other than fob me off.

I am *seriously* ****ed off about it. Tiscali are utterly, utterly, useless.

Could you get a VPN connection to somewhere outside their network and
tunnel the NNTP connection through it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-12, Graham. wrote:

Also, has anyone else had problems with Tiscali blocking port
119 in the evenings?

Oh, yes.

I get "free" broadband through my employers which ends up
after about three levels of sub-contracting with Tiscali.

They traffic shape NNTP after about 3pm weekdays and 11am weekends
and Bank Holidays.

I have been trying to have this restriction removed for about 3 months
now, and been completely unable to find anyone who both knows what I
am talking about and is prepared to do anything, other than fob me off.

I am *seriously* ****ed off about it. Tiscali are utterly, utterly, useless.

Could you get a VPN connection to somewhere outside their network and
tunnel the NNTP connection through it?

Yep. If I could be arsed.

Well.... today's news is that it looks as though they are buying Pipex.....

I imagine that it really means the consumer bits.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-13 08:52:02 +0100, Huge said:

I am *seriously* ****ed off about it. Tiscali are utterly, utterly, useless.

Could you get a VPN connection to somewhere outside their network and
tunnel the NNTP connection through it?

Yep. If I could be arsed.

Well.... today's news is that it looks as though they are buying Pipex.....

I imagine that it really means the consumer bits.

.... it'll be a wopping great undertaking now......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-12, Graham. wrote:

[...]

No it means that the company that owns both has finished stripping off
the good bits and is handing over the dregs to the dregs.

Pipex went down the tubes to Tiscali's people a long time ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-12, Graham. wrote:

Tiscali are utterly, utterly, useless.

You're too kind. Far too kind.

Their legal dept has more serious consequences when they screw up, and
they seem to love doing so.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Huge wrote:
I am *seriously* ****ed off about it. Tiscali are utterly, utterly, useless.

I figured that out ... I think it was about 2002 when I dumped them.
Then they spent the next 4 months continuing to take the payments off my bank
account after they'd stopped providing service. I got it back, eventually, but
it just proved what I'd already figured out - useless thieving bunch of ****s.

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland