Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Getting the doors off a shower cubicle

How??

In particular: it's a square, bi-fold door enclosure. It looks like
this B&Q one http://tinyurl.com/333c7u
(http://preview.tinyurl.com/333c7u), but I don't think it is, as it
may have been an original from when the house was built 7 years ago.
The problem is, the doors are held on by screws on the runners top and
bottom. The bottom runner is therefore inaccessible as the tray is in
the way.

I can't see a way of removing the bottom screws without dismantling
the whole enclosure, which is a bit much, seeing as all I wanted to do
was re-grout, mastic around the tray, and give all those scummy,
hidden crevices a bit of a clean.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugo Nebula wrote:
How??

In particular: it's a square, bi-fold door enclosure. It looks like
this B&Q one http://tinyurl.com/333c7u
(http://preview.tinyurl.com/333c7u), but I don't think it is, as it
may have been an original from when the house was built 7 years ago.
The problem is, the doors are held on by screws on the runners top and
bottom. The bottom runner is therefore inaccessible as the tray is in
the way.

I can't see a way of removing the bottom screws without dismantling
the whole enclosure, which is a bit much, seeing as all I wanted to do
was re-grout, mastic around the tray, and give all those scummy,
hidden crevices a bit of a clean.

A photo of the runner etc might help.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 10, 8:42 pm, Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost wrote:
How??

In particular: it's a square, bi-fold door enclosure. It looks like
this B&Q onehttp://tinyurl.com/333c7u
(http://preview.tinyurl.com/333c7u), but I don't think it is, as it
may have been an original from when the house was built 7 years ago.
The problem is, the doors are held on by screws on the runners top and
bottom. The bottom runner is therefore inaccessible as the tray is in
the way.

I can't see a way of removing the bottom screws without dismantling
the whole enclosure, which is a bit much, seeing as all I wanted to do
was re-grout, mastic around the tray, and give all those scummy,
hidden crevices a bit of a clean.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"

When removing a vaguely similar shower door last weekend I removed the
top part of the door frame ( held in by one screw each side accessible
form above), and then lifted the door out of the frame. Watch out
they're flippin heavy when unsupported.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 13:37:05 +0100, a particular chimpanzee, John Rumm
randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

Hugo Nebula wrote:

The problem is, the doors are held on by screws on the runners top and
bottom. The bottom runner is therefore inaccessible as the tray is in
the way.

A photo of the runner etc might help.

Done.
http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=DSC00073.jpg
http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=DSC00071.jpg
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugo Nebula wrote:

The problem is, the doors are held on by screws on the runners top and
bottom. The bottom runner is therefore inaccessible as the tray is in
the way.

A photo of the runner etc might help.

Done.
http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=DSC00073.jpg
http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=DSC00071.jpg

I can't really see the runner mechanism on the end of the door closely
enough. I would guess that it detaches from the door in some way.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 17:57:43 +0100, a particular chimpanzee, John Rumm
randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

I can't really see the runner mechanism on the end of the door closely
enough. I would guess that it detaches from the door in some way.

Yes, by a 40mm long screw on the bottom of the runner, which is 25mm
above the shower tray. If the bottom rail is anything like the top,
it is screwed in to the sides of the uprights, so one would have to
remove the frame from the wall. The fixed end of the door mechanism
appears to be screwed into the bottom rail from its underneath. The
doors must have been put in place before the whole cubicle was fixed
to the wall!
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugo Nebula wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 17:57:43 +0100, a particular chimpanzee, John Rumm
randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

I can't really see the runner mechanism on the end of the door closely
enough. I would guess that it detaches from the door in some way.

Yes, by a 40mm long screw on the bottom of the runner, which is 25mm
above the shower tray. If the bottom rail is anything like the top,
it is screwed in to the sides of the uprights, so one would have to
remove the frame from the wall. The fixed end of the door mechanism
appears to be screwed into the bottom rail from its underneath. The
doors must have been put in place before the whole cubicle was fixed
to the wall!

Could you not take the top roller off the door, and then lift the bottom
one out of its channel?

--
Cheers,

John.

new shower cubicle installation [email protected] UK diy 5 March 21st 06 03:35 PM
Re-Tiling shower cubicle jon UK diy 6 February 2nd 06 11:43 PM
Zones around a shower cubicle Les Desser UK diy 11 May 16th 05 12:11 AM
Sealing a shower cubicle Richard Savage UK diy 2 March 17th 04 06:38 PM