Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paging tv experts

I recently bought a large CRT Philips tv from eBay for next to nothing.

Attached to it is a Sky box, a VCR, and a Philips home cinema. I sometimes
have an aerial feed from a new Freeview aerial going to the back of the tv
in case of Sky outages, but that's hardly ever plugged in as it causes
ghosting. I should say that everything which is plugged into the Philips tv
was plugged into the previous tv which didn't have the following problem:

When I got the tv to search for terrestrial channels, and then left the
menu, the picture from the Sky box was perfectly clear, but after a while
(didn't notice what set it off - being switched off perhaps?) the picture
went very grainy. If I get the tv to search for channels again, even for
just a few seconds, then quit out of the menu, the picture's perfect again!

Wossat then?

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 12:10:29 +0100 someone who may be "Mungo \"Two
Sheds\" Toadfoot" wrote this:-

I recently bought a large CRT Philips tv from eBay for next to nothing.

Does it have a built-in (digital) freeview tuner?

Attached to it is a Sky box, a VCR, and a Philips home cinema.

Does the latter have a digital tuner built-in?

I sometimes
have an aerial feed from a new Freeview aerial going to the back of the tv
in case of Sky outages, but that's hardly ever plugged in as it causes
ghosting.

Is the aerial pointing in the right direction?

Why did you install a new aerial when, because you talk of ghosting,
you are looking at analogue stations?

I should say that everything which is plugged into the Philips tv
was plugged into the previous tv which didn't have the following problem:

Except for the aerial, presumably?

When I got the tv to search for terrestrial channels, and then left the
menu, the picture from the Sky box was perfectly clear, but after a while
(didn't notice what set it off - being switched off perhaps?) the picture
went very grainy.

The picture is coming from which bit of equipment?

If I get the tv to search for channels again,

Analogue or digital channels?

even for
just a few seconds, then quit out of the menu, the picture's perfect again!

The picture from the television tuner or the Sky gadget?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sheds\" Toadfoot" wrote this:-

I recently bought a large CRT Philips tv from eBay for next to
nothing.

Does it have a built-in (digital) freeview tuner?

No.

Attached to it is a Sky box, a VCR, and a Philips home cinema.

Does the latter have a digital tuner built-in?

No.

I sometimes
have an aerial feed from a new Freeview aerial going to the back of
the tv in case of Sky outages, but that's hardly ever plugged in as
it causes ghosting.

Is the aerial pointing in the right direction?

Yes.

Why did you install a new aerial when, because you talk of ghosting,
you are looking at analogue stations?

We have Sky in the living room and Freeview boxes in two bedrooms. The
aerial was put in the loft, through a booster, just for the Freeview boxes
upstairs, which work perfectly, but there was an existing RF cable running
from the same booster to the tv downstairs which used to be used for
switching to the analogue signal when Sky was playing up, and is still in
place, but usually unplugged.

When it *is* plugged in to the tv there *is* ghosting though. It was the
same on the other tv we had, which now lives upstairs. I never found out why
and didn't care to because it was rarely used anyway and it was easier just
to unplug it!

I should say that everything which is plugged into the Philips tv
was plugged into the previous tv which didn't have the following
problem:

Except for the aerial, presumably?

No, that was there for Sky outages, as explained above, but hardly ever
actually used anyway.

When I got the tv to search for terrestrial channels, and then left
the menu, the picture from the Sky box was perfectly clear, but
after a while (didn't notice what set it off - being switched off
perhaps?) the picture went very grainy.

The picture is coming from which bit of equipment?

Sky satellite dish. There's no other input plugged in. The DVD and VCR
pictures are always perfect.

If I get the tv to search for channels again,

Analogue or digital channels?

I can see why this is a little confusing

One evening when Sky was particularly bad I was just letting the tv search
for any channels it could find. It didn't find any, of course, because I
forgot that the aerial wasn't plugged in to it (!) but I did notice that
when I AV'd back to the Sky signal there was the small "Doingggg!" sound and
the picture was perfectly clear again.

even for
just a few seconds, then quit out of the menu, the picture's perfect
again!

The picture from the television tuner or the Sky gadget?

Sky.

Perhaps there is just something wrong with the tv. I can't think of anything
which is different from when the other tv was in place. It's just odd that
the picture *can* be perfectly clear if I faff with it.

Ta,

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 14:52:41 +0100 someone who may be "Mungo \"Two
Sheds\" Toadfoot" wrote this:-

Is the aerial pointing in the right direction?

Yes.

Ghosting implies receiving an analogue signal and the aerial is
either not pointing in the right direction, or the signal strength
is low.

When it *is* plugged in to the tv there *is* ghosting though. It was the
same on the other tv we had, which now lives upstairs. I never found out why
and didn't care to because it was rarely used anyway and it was easier just
to unplug it!

Ghosting on the picture from the Sky box, or when watching the
analogue picture?

How is the Sky box connected to the television?

The picture is coming from which bit of equipment?

Sky satellite dish. There's no other input plugged in.

That contradicts what you said earlier and which I have quoted
above.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sheds\" Toadfoot" wrote this:-

Is the aerial pointing in the right direction?

Yes.

Ghosting implies receiving an analogue signal and the aerial is
either not pointing in the right direction, or the signal strength
is low.

That's what I thought.

When it *is* plugged in to the tv there *is* ghosting though. It was
the same on the other tv we had, which now lives upstairs. I never
found out why and didn't care to because it was rarely used anyway
and it was easier just to unplug it!

Ghosting on the picture from the Sky box, or when watching the
analogue picture?

How is the Sky box connected to the television?

With a SCART lead. I've tried to remember how everything's connected
together, and whether there are any RF leads in there but it's really hard
to get to the backs of all the boxes!

The picture is coming from which bit of equipment?

Sky. The ghosting is only relevant when the aerial's plugged in though; it's
not a, or 'the', problem.

Sky satellite dish. There's no other input plugged in.

That contradicts what you said earlier and which I have quoted
above.

I noticed that after I sent it. I meant there's only the Sky signal coming
in, not the aerial.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
Perhaps there is just something wrong with the tv. I can't think of anything
which is different from when the other tv was in place. It's just odd that
the picture *can* be perfectly clear if I faff with it.

Your TV set probably is sending out in the direction of the Sky Box, the
output of it's own internal analogue tuner, and the many possibly
unshielded (or overall screened) wires inside your SCART cable are
allowing the electrons to cross-couple and have a party over the top of
your Sky Box output.

The TV may have a setup menu option to shut this nonsense up (look for
tuner out settings), or you might try a better screened SCART cable
(nothing expensive - £3 max for a good one around these parts), or snip
wires inside the SCART plug to knobble the output path.

Google "scart crosstalk tuner"

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian C" wrote in message
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
Perhaps there is just something wrong with the tv. I can't think of
anything which is different from when the other tv was in place. It's
just odd that the picture *can* be perfectly clear if I faff with it.

Your TV set probably is sending out in the direction of the Sky Box, the
output of it's own internal analogue tuner, and the many possibly
unshielded (or overall screened) wires inside your SCART cable are
allowing the electrons to cross-couple and have a party over the top of
your Sky Box output.

The TV may have a setup menu option to shut this nonsense up (look for
tuner out settings), or you might try a better screened SCART cable
(nothing expensive - £3 max for a good one around these parts), or snip
wires inside the SCART plug to knobble the output path.

Thatt last bit is a bit vague for someone who admits he is no expert.

Cut Pin 17 at TV end of cable. (and 1&3 if there is crosstalk on sound)
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham wrote:
"Adrian C" wrote in message
[...]

That all sounds likely. Thanks chaps - I'll have a play wiv me remote, and
then the wire cutters.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 18:28:40 +0100 someone who may be "Mungo \"Two
Sheds\" Toadfoot" wrote this:-

Ghosting on the picture from the Sky box, or when watching the
analogue picture?

How is the Sky box connected to the television?

With a SCART lead.

So, when you are watching a picture from the Sky box plugging in the
aerial lead causes the picture from the Sky box to ghost.

Find someone to repair the television, or dispose of it.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Paging medwayhandyman raden UK diy 0 March 31st 06 08:31 PM
Paging JURB6006 Bob Electronics Repair 3 February 14th 06 07:31 AM
Paging Dr. Moe Cliff Metalworking 0 January 19th 06 11:29 PM
Paging Billy K JWho Metalworking 0 November 8th 05 05:22 PM
Paging: swingman Jim Bailey Woodworking 0 March 15th 05 11:19 PM