Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default From uk.tech.broadcast

Seems a good idea which could be implemented for pennies.

From: Dave Farrance
Subject: Petition: Attach Warning Labels to Analogue-Only TVs
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 15:10
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast

I think that the idea of attaching warning labels to analogue-only units
has a fair amount of approval in this group, unlike the prospect of
outlawing such units. So if you want to show support for this, please go
to this e-petition to the Prime Minister:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/analogue-warn/

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Attach warning labels
to analogue-only (non-digital) TVs and video recorders.

Analogue TV broadcasts will cease over the next few years, so that all
analogue-only TVs and video recorders will require external digital
"set-top-boxes". Many people, especially the elderly, find set-top-boxes
difficult to use, and the complexity of video recording from a
set-top-box will often defeat the technically competent too.
Analogue-only equipment is still widely available and is commonly bought
by people without knowledge of these problems. Warning labels on such
units stating "WARNING: ANALOGUE TUNER ONLY" would alert people to the
problem and discourage their sale. This would save vulnerable people
from losing money, protect the environment by reducing the vast amount
of equipment that will be dumped, and reduce the resources required to
aid the conversion to digital reception.

--
Dave Farrance

--
*I must always remember that I'm unique, just like everyone else. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

From: Dave Farrance
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 15:10
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast

I think that the idea of attaching warning labels to analogue-only
units
has a fair amount of approval in this group, unlike the prospect of
outlawing such units. So if you want to show support for this,
please go
to this e-petition to the Prime Minister:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/analogue-warn/

details snipped

I can see merits in the proposal but would prefer to see analogue
television receivers banned from retail sale ASAP, the industry and
stores have had years to prepare for DVB. Even with a label the
confused, poor and (lets face it) cheap-skates will still buy the
cheaper analogue only receivers and in some cases wait until switch
off for a subsidised / free DVB STB.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-09 11:07:32 +0100, ":Jerry:" said:

I can see merits in the proposal but would prefer to see analogue
television receivers banned from retail sale ASAP, the industry and
stores have had years to prepare for DVB. Even with a label the
confused, poor and (lets face it) cheap-skates will still buy the
cheaper analogue only receivers and in some cases wait until switch
off for a subsidised / free DVB STB.

Condensing vs. non condensing tellies........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

From: Dave Farrance
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 15:10
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast

I think that the idea of attaching warning labels to analogue-only
units
has a fair amount of approval in this group, unlike the prospect of
outlawing such units. So if you want to show support for this,
please go
to this e-petition to the Prime Minister:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/analogue-warn/

details snipped

I can see merits in the proposal but would prefer to see analogue
television receivers banned from retail sale ASAP, the industry and
stores have had years to prepare for DVB. Even with a label the
confused, poor and (lets face it) cheap-skates will still buy the
cheaper analogue only receivers and in some cases wait until switch
off for a subsidised / free DVB STB.

And why not?
Personally, I couldn't give a toss what happens in 2012, by which time
the wallpaper will probably make more interesting viewing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

":Jerry:" wrote in news:469208ef$0$97270
:

I can see merits in the proposal but would prefer to see analogue
television receivers banned from retail sale ASAP, the industry and
stores have had years to prepare for DVB. Even with a label the
confused, poor and (lets face it) cheap-skates will still buy the
cheaper analogue only receivers and in some cases wait until switch
off for a subsidised / free DVB STB.

You may not have noticed that DTT is unobtainable in large ares, and even
here just outside the M25 it's very iffy, specially MUX A, but all are
subject to break-up. Thats using a GDB4 which AIUI is one of the most
sensitive boxes.

Analogue deteriorates more gracefully, and is far more acceptable; with
an aerial aimed at CP and another at Sudbury I can get most things most
of the time on analogue.

If I had to buy a new telly of course it would be dual standard, but if I
were forced to buy one tuner only it would have to be analogue.

Or, if you insist on banning analogue tellies, will you give me an
analogue STB so I can get some programmes till 2012 for my licence fee.

mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mike" wrote in message
":Jerry:" wrote in news:469208ef$0$97270
:

I can see merits in the proposal but would prefer to see analogue
television receivers banned from retail sale ASAP, the industry and
stores have had years to prepare for DVB. Even with a label the
confused, poor and (lets face it) cheap-skates will still buy the
cheaper analogue only receivers and in some cases wait until switch
off for a subsidised / free DVB STB.

You may not have noticed that DTT is unobtainable in large ares, and
even
here just outside the M25 it's very iffy, specially MUX A, but all
are
subject to break-up. Thats using a GDB4 which AIUI is one of the
most
sensitive boxes.

Perhaps I shopuld have said *anolouge only* sets, obviously all sets
until 2012 will have to be duel tuner.

Analogue deteriorates more gracefully, and is far more acceptable;
with
an aerial aimed at CP and another at Sudbury I can get most things
most
of the time on analogue.

Except DVB only channels! :~)

If I had to buy a new telly of course it would be dual standard, but
if I
were forced to buy one tuner only it would have to be analogue.

A bit pointless (and head in sand) in any area were the analogue
signal will be terminated before the set is life expired, of course if
you have no need for a terrestrial signal at all it doesn't matter a
jot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 11:07:32 +0100, :Jerry: wrote:

I can see merits in the proposal but would prefer to see analogue
television receivers banned from retail sale ASAP,

er and what about the vast areas on country that have little or no DTTV
coverage? I live on a hill and according to the freeview site I should be
able to get BBC 1, 2, 3, CBBC and News 24, that's all. Down in the town a
couple of miles away they SFA.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article et, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 11:07:32 +0100, :Jerry: wrote:

I can see merits in the proposal but would prefer to see analogue
television receivers banned from retail sale ASAP,

er and what about the vast areas on country that have little or no DTTV
coverage? I live on a hill and according to the freeview site I should be
able to get BBC 1, 2, 3, CBBC and News 24, that's all. Down in the town a
couple of miles away they SFA.

Let them use satellite or a self help relay.!
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 11:07:32 +0100, :Jerry: wrote:

I can see merits in the proposal but would prefer to see analogue
television receivers banned from retail sale ASAP,

er and what about the vast areas on country that have little or no
DTTV
coverage?

snipped

Read my reply to "Mike".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
:Jerry: wrote:
I can see merits in the proposal but would prefer to see analogue
television receivers banned from retail sale ASAP, the industry and
stores have had years to prepare for DVB. Even with a label the
confused, poor and (lets face it) cheap-skates will still buy the
cheaper analogue only receivers and in some cases wait until switch
off for a subsidised / free DVB STB.

Snag is analogue is still the only choice for terrestrial reception in
some areas - and will be until the switch over in about 5 years time. So
I'm certainly not in favour of banning their sale.

--
*Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article
ews.net,
:Jerry: wrote:
I can see merits in the proposal but would prefer to see analogue
television receivers banned from retail sale ASAP, the industry and
stores have had years to prepare for DVB. Even with a label the
confused, poor and (lets face it) cheap-skates will still buy the
cheaper analogue only receivers and in some cases wait until switch
off for a subsidised / free DVB STB.

Snag is analogue is still the only choice for terrestrial reception
in
some areas - and will be until the switch over in about 5 years
time. So
I'm certainly not in favour of banning their sale.

See my reply to "Mike".

I must admit that I thought that all but drivel would have realised
that I was talking about duel tuners - are there any DVB only
receivers (STB's excepted...!)? Personally I can't even see the point
or need for TV's to be anything more than audio equipped monitors
these days, so many people now have external receivers, either Dsat or
DVB, with some even having twin tuners IYSWIM.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

:Jerry: wrote:

Perhaps I shopuld have said *anolouge only* sets, obviously all sets
until 2012 will have to be duel tuner.

Analogue and DTT, DVB-S, or DVB-C?

A bit pointless (and head in sand) in any area were the analogue
signal will be terminated before the set is life expired, of course if
you have no need for a terrestrial signal at all it doesn't matter a
jot.

So why ban the sale of a analogue only set then?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 13:51:42 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

So I'm certainly not in favour of banning their sale.

Nor am I - it would be yet another example of the nanny state.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

":Jerry:" wrote in news:4692186e$0$97264
:

with
an aerial aimed at CP and another at Sudbury I can get most things
most
of the time on analogue.

Except DVB only channels! :~)

Ain't that the truth; that's why I've got a DTT and have experienced it's
benefits

If I had to buy a new telly of course it would be dual standard, but
if I
were forced to buy one tuner only it would have to be analogue.

A bit pointless (and head in sand) in any area were the analogue
signal will be terminated before the set is life expired, of course if
you have no need for a terrestrial signal at all it doesn't matter a
jot.

Then of course, as you said, _you_ "shopuld have said *anolouge only*
sets, obviously all sets
until 2012 will have to be duel tuner."

Why, if your DTT is good enough?

I see the original petition did indeed state "analogue-only", so we're
both getting a bit off the point

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

From: Dave Farrance
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 15:10
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast

[...]

Is wallpaper not already more interesting than TV?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

:Jerry: wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Seems a good idea which could be implemented for pennies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-09 11:07:32 +0100, ":Jerry:" said:

I can see merits in the proposal but would prefer to see analogue
television receivers banned from retail sale ASAP, the industry and
stores have had years to prepare for DVB. Even with a label the
confused, poor and (lets face it) cheap-skates will still buy the
cheaper analogue only receivers and in some cases wait until switch
off for a subsidised / free DVB STB.

Condensing vs. non condensing tellies........

I once had an experience of a condensing TV. Something that was stored
in a slightly damp unheated cupboard, and summoned to life in a hurry
without thinking about the wisdom of letting it acclimatise to room
temperature.

The condensation didn't hang around though ....

.... after the flames had died down ;-(

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian C
saying something like:

Condensing vs. non condensing tellies........

I once had an experience of a condensing TV. Something that was stored
in a slightly damp unheated cupboard, and summoned to life in a hurry
without thinking about the wisdom of letting it acclimatise to room
temperature.

The condensation didn't hang around though ....

... after the flames had died down ;-(

You should have taken a hacksaw to it.
--

Dave