Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Attach drill bit to cordless screwdriver?

Can I get an attachment so my small cordless screwdriver (1/4 inch
hexagonal socket) can hold a small drill bit (eg 2mm)?

Sometimes I want to drill a hole but don't really want to get out my
large cordless drill.

Thanks
Alex

(I know there are mini drill kits like a Dremel but I would rather use
my cordless screwdriver.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
R R is offline

"Alex" wrote in message
Can I get an attachment so my small cordless screwdriver (1/4 inch
hexagonal socket) can hold a small drill bit (eg 2mm)?

Sometimes I want to drill a hole but don't really want to get out my
large cordless drill.

Thanks
Alex

(I know there are mini drill kits like a Dremel but I would rather use
my cordless screwdriver.)

Sir might need some of these...

http://tinyurl.com/2zbexd

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Alex wrote:
Can I get an attachment so my small cordless screwdriver (1/4 inch
hexagonal socket) can hold a small drill bit (eg 2mm)?

Normal way would be to use drill bits with a hex end. I noticed them in
B&Q the other day.

--
*Oh, what a tangled website we weave when first we practice *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 07:24:45 +0100, "R" mused:

"Alex" wrote in message
Can I get an attachment so my small cordless screwdriver (1/4 inch
hexagonal socket) can hold a small drill bit (eg 2mm)?

Sometimes I want to drill a hole but don't really want to get out my
large cordless drill.

Thanks
Alex

(I know there are mini drill kits like a Dremel but I would rather use
my cordless screwdriver.)

Sir might need some of these...

http://tinyurl.com/2zbexd

No he doesn't. You can't fit a round shaft in a hex chuck.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 06:03:48 +0100, Alex mused:

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...less-Hex-Chuck
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Be careful of these, the bit is just glued into the hex portion so when
it says "not for high torque applications" believe them. I have managed
to "spin" the bits in the hex portions on two (admittedly cheepo) of
these hex shanked bits.

--
www.cheesesoup.myby.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alex wrote:
Can I get an attachment so my small cordless screwdriver (1/4 inch
hexagonal socket) can hold a small drill bit (eg 2mm)?

Sometimes I want to drill a hole but don't really want to get out my
large cordless drill.

Either get a small chuck with hex shaft:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a... file=1&jump=0

or a set of bits with hex shank.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Jul, 14:58, John Rumm wrote:
Alex wrote:
Can I get an attachment so my small cordless screwdriver (1/4 inch
hexagonal socket) can hold a small drill bit (eg 2mm)?

Sometimes I want to drill a hole but don't really want to get out my
large cordless drill.

Either get a small chuck with hex shaft:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...=chuck&user_se...

or a set of bits with hex shank.

Either of those will get the bit into the codless tool, but codless
screwdrivers can have low rpm for drilling. One way to greatly speed
drilling up is to regrind the bits to steep cutting angles.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...twis t_drills

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
wrote:
On 9 Jul, 14:58, John Rumm wrote:
Alex wrote:
Can I get an attachment so my small cordless screwdriver (1/4 inch
hexagonal socket) can hold a small drill bit (eg 2mm)?

Sometimes I want to drill a hole but don't really want to get out my
large cordless drill.

Either get a small chuck with hex shaft:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...=chuck&user_se...

or a set of bits with hex shank.

Either of those will get the bit into the codless tool, but codless
screwdrivers can have low rpm for drilling. One way to greatly speed
drilling up is to regrind the bits to steep cutting angles.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...twis t_drills

On a 2mm drill? Good luck. ;-)

--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
R R is offline

"Alex" wrote in message
Can I get an attachment so my small cordless screwdriver (1/4 inch
hexagonal socket) can hold a small drill bit (eg 2mm)?

Sometimes I want to drill a hole but don't really want to get out my
large cordless drill.

Thanks
Alex

(I know there are mini drill kits like a Dremel but I would rather use
my cordless screwdriver.)

Sir might need some of these...

http://tinyurl.com/2zbexd

No he doesn't. You can't fit a round shaft in a hex chuck.

No one said he could
You can use them in between your fingers and twist to make the hole.
Alternatively putting them in a chuck will speed up the process.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 20:00:49 +0100, "R" mused:

.. .

"Alex" wrote in message
Can I get an attachment so my small cordless screwdriver (1/4 inch
hexagonal socket) can hold a small drill bit (eg 2mm)?

Sometimes I want to drill a hole but don't really want to get out my
large cordless drill.

Thanks
Alex

(I know there are mini drill kits like a Dremel but I would rather use
my cordless screwdriver.)

Sir might need some of these...

http://tinyurl.com/2zbexd

No he doesn't. You can't fit a round shaft in a hex chuck.

No one said he could
You can use them in between your fingers and twist to make the hole.
Alternatively putting them in a chuck will speed up the process.

I assume English is not your first language?
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09 Jul 2007, John Rumm wrote:

Alex wrote:
Can I get an attachment so my small cordless screwdriver (1/4 inch
hexagonal socket) can hold a small drill bit (eg 2mm)?

Sometimes I want to drill a hole but don't really want to get out
my large cordless drill.

Either get a small chuck with hex shaft:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...e=chuck&user_s
earch=1&sfile=1&jump=0

or a set of bits with hex shank.

Thank you too.
This looks like what I am looking for.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09 Jul 2007, Lurch wrote:

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 06:03:48 +0100, Alex mused:

Can I get an attachment so my small cordless screwdriver (1/4 inch
hexagonal socket) can hold a small drill bit (eg 2mm)?

Sometimes I want to drill a hole but don't really want to get out
my large cordless drill.

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...1-4-inch-Keyle
ss-Hex-Chuck

Well done mate.
It looks just right.
Thank you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 22:29:44 +0100, Alex mused:

On 09 Jul 2007, Lurch wrote:

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 06:03:48 +0100, Alex mused:

Can I get an attachment so my small cordless screwdriver (1/4 inch
hexagonal socket) can hold a small drill bit (eg 2mm)?

Sometimes I want to drill a hole but don't really want to get out
my large cordless drill.

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...1-4-inch-Keyle
ss-Hex-Chuck

Well done mate.
It looks just right.
Thank you.

No problem.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Also try a search for 'screwdriver chuck' on Ebay.

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

soup wrote:

Be careful of these, the bit is just glued into the hex portion so
when it says "not for high torque applications" believe them. I have
managed to "spin" the bits in the hex portions on two (admittedly
cheepo) of these hex shanked bits.

I did exactly the same - and glued the drill bit back into the hex with
polyurethane glue - still using it.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alex wrote:
Can I get an attachment so my small cordless screwdriver (1/4 inch
hexagonal socket) can hold a small drill bit (eg 2mm)?

Sometimes I want to drill a hole but don't really want to get out
my large cordless drill.

Either get a small chuck with hex shaft:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...e=chuck&user_s
earch=1&sfile=1&jump=0

or a set of bits with hex shank.

Thank you too.
This looks like what I am looking for.

Yes, I liked it as well, the postage cost is off putting though!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Broadback wrote:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...e=chuck&user_s
earch=1&sfile=1&jump=0

or a set of bits with hex shank.

Thank you too.
This looks like what I am looking for.

Yes, I liked it as well, the postage cost is off putting though!

Thing to note with these is you won't get a good fit with a plug in
chuck - it will wobble to some extent. Which will be a PITA for accuracy
- especially with smaller drill sizes.

--
*The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Check out the Snappy range from Trend.