DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Which Workmate? - follow up (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/203018-workmate-follow-up.html)

A.Lee June 6th 07 08:33 PM

Which Workmate? - follow up

I asked a few weeks ago about getting a new Workmate type bench.
So, off down to the B+Q Warehouse today to get one.
I was expecting to get a decent one, like my old one which cost around
£70 10+ years ago.
I came away with a basic £9.98 B+Q branded one, which I didnt expect
much of, but for the use I needed, thought would be OK.
So, off home to build it up, and surprisingly, it is quite good. Sturdy,
only 1 height, but the adjustable jaws and bench top are better than my
old B+D workmate. The old one had plastic threads for the jaws, with a
chipboard top, the new 'cheap' one had a metal threads, and, apparently,
a bamboo top. It looks like pine, certanly better than the B+D one.
A true bargain at £10.
Alan.

nog June 9th 07 07:59 AM

Which Workmate? - follow up

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 20:33:58 +0100, A.Lee wrote:

A true bargain at £10.

Fair enough, although I would quite like to find one of the original, all
diecast, ones.