Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How do keep mat from slipping off my hallway carpet?

We've got carpet in our hallway and as it's quite large and we
couldn't afford an expensive runner to protect it, we got some light,
cheap mats which are about 5 feet by 2 feet. they look fine when put
in place but after a day or two seem to migrate to the side of the
hallway opposite the doorways and start crumpling up into a trip
hazard. Is there some sort of double sided tape I could use which
would would keep them in place but which won't damage the carpet
undernearh?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 06:19:55 GMT, Anna wrote:

We've got carpet in our hallway ...

Yes. There is spray on stuff.

I doubt that will be effective for a rug on carpet, for the reasons
already posted. Probably OK with a rug on a hard surface though.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Jun, 23:08, wrote:
We've got carpet in our hallway and as it's quite large and we
couldn't afford an expensive runner to protect it, we got some light,
cheap mats which are about 5 feet by 2 feet. they look fine when put
in place but after a day or two seem to migrate to the side of the
hallway opposite the doorways and start crumpling up into a trip
hazard. Is there some sort of double sided tape I could use which
would would keep them in place but which won't damage the carpet
undernearh?

I can sympathise. Both our mats (front and back) go travelling at an
incredible rate ! We did get this thin sheet of white fluffy stuff
from a carpet dealer, which was supposed to stop this. To be fair it
did - for a day. That was 11 quid well spent.

For now, we just live with it, but I know one day I will snap, and
nail the ****er to the floor (in the porch with floorboards) and drill
holes and fit rawlpugs and screw the other ****er down (back door -
concrete floor).

In fact, that gives me an idea for a new thread ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Jun, 23:08, wrote:
We've got carpet in our hallway and as it's quite large and we
couldn't afford an expensive runner to protect it, we got some light,
cheap mats which are about 5 feet by 2 feet. they look fine when put
in place but after a day or two seem to migrate to the side of the
hallway opposite the doorways and start crumpling up into a trip
hazard. Is there some sort of double sided tape I could use which
would would keep them in place but which won't damage the carpet
undernearh?

Would velcro hooks stick to the carpet underneath ?
Some small spikes fixed under the rug might hold it down - they
wouldn't really damage the carpet.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 03:17:38 -0700, Jethro
wrote:

On 5 Jun, 23:08, wrote:
[...]

I have considered nailing the mat in the porch to the floor also. It
does seem to travel a couple of inches every day...

In fact, that gives me an idea for a new thread ....

http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave
writes

The reason the mat moves is down to the pile of the carpet. What is
happening is that the mats you have put over the carpet are being moved
by them sitting on the pile of the carpet. Bend down and feel the pile
of the carpet. You should feel a smooth pile when you rub your fingers
one way, the rug will migrate that way. When you feel the carpet in the
opposite direction and you feel that you are pulling the pile, then the
carpet will migrate the other way.

Carpet pile always leans one way and this is the way that a rug will
move. It's a bit like a ratchet.

That's an excellent description, I had some large antistatic mats over short
pile carpet and the walking rate was incredible, tying the near corners to
the protected workbench just resulted in a wrinkled mess.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 06:19:55 GMT, Anna wrote:

We've got carpet in our hallway ...

Yes. There is spray on stuff.

I doubt that will be effective for a rug on carpet, for the reasons
already posted. Probably OK with a rug on a hard surface though.

I have a square of hall carpet placed on top of the fitted carpet,
and underneath the doormat to catch the worst of the dirt and wear
by the front door. This used to creep badly.

I put a piece of rug antislip material from John Lewis (own brand)
in between, and it hasn't moved in about 5 years. Fantastic stuff.

It's a thin matting material, with a tacky feel to it. I thought
the tack would come off quickly, but it hasn't (though it only
gets taken up every few months). The carpet is a berber twist with
hessian backing - other pile or backing types might not work
as well.

-adrian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Jun, 14:57, Adrian Godwin wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

This sounds like the stuff we bought ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Godwin wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 06:19:55 GMT, Anna wrote:

We've got carpet in our hallway ...
Yes. There is spray on stuff.

I doubt that will be effective for a rug on carpet, for the reasons
already posted. Probably OK with a rug on a hard surface though.

I have a square of hall carpet placed on top of the fitted carpet,
and underneath the doormat to catch the worst of the dirt and wear
by the front door. This used to creep badly.

I put a piece of rug antislip material from John Lewis (own brand)
in between, and it hasn't moved in about 5 years. Fantastic stuff.

We got some from Instore (aka Poundstretcher or something?) Helps a bit
but not completely. Dunno if the JL stuff would have worked better in
our application...

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro wrote:
On 6 Jun, 14:57, Adrian Godwin wrote:

It's a thin matting material, with a tacky feel to it. I thought
the tack would come off quickly, but it hasn't (though it only
gets taken up every few months). The carpet is a berber twist with
hessian backing - other pile or backing types might not work
as well.

-adrian

This sounds like the stuff we bought ...

It does. Except that in my case it worked, and worked very well,
where for you it worked only for one day.

So either it works for some combinations of surfaces, or the
JL version works better than some other makes.

-adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian Godwin" wrote in message
Jethro wrote:
On 6 Jun, 14:57, Adrian Godwin wrote:

It's a thin matting material, with a tacky feel to it. I thought
the tack would come off quickly, but it hasn't (though it only
gets taken up every few months). The carpet is a berber twist

with
hessian backing - other pile or backing types might not work
as well.

-adrian

This sounds like the stuff we bought ...

It does. Except that in my case it worked, and worked very well,
where for you it worked only for one day.

So either it works for some combinations of surfaces, or the
JL version works better than some other makes.

-adrian

Years ago we used to sew the rubber sealing rings from the lids of
'Kilner Jars' onto the back of rugs to stop them slipping arround.

What are Kliner Jars I hear you youngsters ask - they are glass jars
with a special lid often used for preserving fruit back in the days
before everyone expected fresh goods out of season.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro wrote:
[...]

And FWIW, invented by John Kilner, great-great-great grandfather of one
Jeremy Clarkson, as described at some length in the genealogy programme
"Who Do You Think You Are" about a year or so back featuring JC, who was
trying to find out what had happened to the family fortune thus generated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Clarkson#Biography

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" typed

What are Kliner Jars I hear you youngsters ask - they are glass jars
with a special lid often used for preserving fruit back in the days
before everyone expected fresh goods out of season.

JL still sell glass preserving jars and spare rubber sealing rings.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If they are carpet rugs and not sponge underneath then there is a spray you
can buy from your carpet warehouse. We have a big rug on the carpet in the
front room which walked all over the place until we used the spray. The
spray cost about £10:00 and left like a sticky latex on the rug, it stays
still now but can be easily lifted and hasn't marked the carpet.

Sam Farrell
wrote in message
ps.com...
We've got carpet in our hallway and as it's quite large and we
couldn't afford an expensive runner to protect it, we got some light,
cheap mats which are about 5 feet by 2 feet. they look fine when put
in place but after a day or two seem to migrate to the side of the
hallway opposite the doorways and start crumpling up into a trip
hazard. Is there some sort of double sided tape I could use which
would would keep them in place but which won't damage the carpet
undernearh?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article om,
wrote:
We've got carpet in our hallway and as it's quite large and we
couldn't afford an expensive runner to protect it, we got some light,
cheap mats which are about 5 feet by 2 feet. they look fine when put
in place but after a day or two seem to migrate to the side of the
hallway opposite the doorways and start crumpling up into a trip
hazard. Is there some sort of double sided tape I could use which
would would keep them in place but which won't damage the carpet
undernearh?

We use stuff like http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ANTI-SLIP-unde...mZ260123550591 for rugs on our hard floors - works well and
claims to be suitable for use on carpets as well.

That link is actually the person we ordered ours from - no connection other
than a happy customer. They sell different types and sizes. Dunno what is
best for carpet/rug - we found the rubbery hessian like stuff best on hard
floors but YMMV :-)

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 08:42:20 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 06:19:55 GMT, Anna wrote:

We've got carpet in our hallway ...

Yes. There is spray on stuff.

I doubt that will be effective for a rug on carpet, for the reasons
already posted. Probably OK with a rug on a hard surface though.

No its meant for the rug over carpet situation and works well

Anna

Chair mat Larry Spitz Woodworking 10 May 19th 07 10:52 AM
TV Brightness control slipping Bob Hanson Electronics Repair 3 December 12th 06 06:03 AM
Joining carpet 2 carpet & carpet 2 tiles JoeJoe UK diy 1 September 1st 06 07:24 AM
Blade slipping Fish Woodworking 2 April 17th 06 08:47 PM
Old mat well Andy Cap UK diy 7 March 10th 06 10:36 AM