DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Leaky Loo & urine stinking floorboards (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/202400-leaky-loo-urine-stinking-floorboards.html)

[email protected] May 31st 07 08:32 PM

Leaky Loo & urine stinking floorboards

When I bought my house (almost a year ago) I noticed in hot days that
there was an odd, minging and familiar smell in the bathroom and
kitchen (below the bathroom).

IEventually I stripped my kitchen ceiling pannels away only to
discover a few damp marks where leaks occured. The dark ones did not
concern me too much, but the white one did. The white patch looks &
smells like crystalised urine and is right under the toilet so I
ripped the laminate flooring to reveal a few crystally urine marks.

My plan now is to unscrew the toilet, remove the toilet (I don't have
a clue how to do any of this), remove the floorboards in the area and
assess the damage. I will probably need to remove the fibre glass
insulation in that section and replace they plasterboard on the
kitchen ceiling.

Can anyone see any flaws in my plan?

Thanks in advance

Colin Wilson May 31st 07 08:42 PM

Leaky Loo & urine stinking floorboards

The white patch looks & smells like crystalised urine and is right
under the toilet so I ripped the laminate flooring to reveal a few
crystally urine marks.

Something was recommended in here the other day for urine smells -
prochem urine neutralizer

[email protected] May 31st 07 08:45 PM

Leaky Loo & urine stinking floorboards

On 31 May, 20:42, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:
The white patch looks & smells like crystalised urine and is right
under the toilet so I ripped the laminate flooring to reveal a few
crystally urine marks.

Something was recommended in here the other day for urine smells -
prochem urine neutralizer

Thanks Colin.

I spoke to Express Cleaning Supplies today, the lady I spoke to said
it might not work on urine once it has crystalised. I'm more worried
about the insulation and whatever else underneath to be honest.

The Natural Philosopher May 31st 07 08:56 PM

Leaky Loo & urine stinking floorboards

wrote:
On 31 May, 20:42, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:
The white patch looks & smells like crystalised urine and is right
under the toilet so I ripped the laminate flooring to reveal a few
crystally urine marks.

Something was recommended in here the other day for urine smells -
prochem urine neutralizer

Thanks Colin.

I spoke to Express Cleaning Supplies today, the lady I spoke to said
it might not work on urine once it has crystalised. I'm more worried
about the insulation and whatever else underneath to be honest.

urine doesn';t hurt anything much, and eventually it getrs turbed into
stuff that is much nicer.

But stuff like this is why I always got for vinyl or tiles.

And its NOT just men either..ladies spray worse than men do. No dangle
angle..its a rimshot every time.

Andy Hall May 31st 07 11:09 PM

On 2007-05-31 20:56:08 +0100, The Natural Philosopher said:

wrote:
On 31 May, 20:42, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:
The white patch looks & smells like crystalised urine and is right
under the toilet so I ripped the laminate flooring to reveal a few
crystally urine marks.
Something was recommended in here the other day for urine smells -
prochem urine neutralizer

Thanks Colin.

I spoke to Express Cleaning Supplies today, the lady I spoke to said
it might not work on urine once it has crystalised. I'm more worried
about the insulation and whatever else underneath to be honest.

urine doesn';t hurt anything much, and eventually it getrs turbed into
stuff that is much nicer.

But stuff like this is why I always got for vinyl or tiles.

And its NOT just men either..ladies spray worse than men do. No dangle
angle..its a rimshot every time.

Could this be used in evidence that the seat should always be left up?