Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Quote for new domestic electric supply!

I just had a quote from the regional electricity supply company for a
new domestic mains supply going to a ground floor flat.

£1,200! And that is not including the digging and refilling of
trenches, which they want me to do! Nor sous it include ducting or
meter cabinet which they want me to supply.

It looks like the trench would need to be about 30 ft long, and would
go along a public tarmac pavement and out into the street. Anyone got
any idea how much that would cost? Presumably permission would have to
be obtained from the council too. Does that cost?

Thx

Harry W B

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 May 2007 16:09:56 +0100, Owain
wrote:

It looks like the trench would need to be about 30 ft long, and would
go along a public tarmac pavement and out into the street. Anyone got
any idea how much that would cost?

£100 per foot? £200 per foot?

Yikes! This definitely calles for a 'plan B' then...
Thanks for the info.

Harry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry W B wrote:
I just had a quote from the regional electricity supply company for a
new domestic mains supply going to a ground floor flat.

£1,200! And that is not including the digging and refilling of
trenches, which they want me to do! Nor sous it include ducting or
meter cabinet which they want me to supply.

It looks like the trench would need to be about 30 ft long, and would
go along a public tarmac pavement and out into the street. Anyone got
any idea how much that would cost? Presumably permission would have to
be obtained from the council too. Does that cost?

probably. But you just hire a mini digger and DIY it. about £100 for a
days work.

Thx

Harry W B

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 May, 20:42, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Harry W B wrote:

I just had a quote from the regional electricity supply company for a
new domestic mains supply going to a ground floor flat.

£1,200! And that is not including the digging and refilling of
trenches, which they want me to do! Nor sous it include ducting or
meter cabinet which they want me to supply.

It looks like the trench would need to be about 30 ft long, and would
go along a public tarmac pavement and out into the street. Anyone got
any idea how much that would cost? Presumably permission would have to
be obtained from the council too. Does that cost?

probably. But you just hire a mini digger and DIY it. about £100 for a
days work.

plus resulting legal expenses

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SHarry W B wrote:
I just had a quote from the regional electricity supply company for a
new domestic mains supply going to a ground floor flat.

£1,200! And that is not including the digging and refilling of
trenches, which they want me to do! Nor sous it include ducting or
meter cabinet which they want me to supply.

It looks like the trench would need to be about 30 ft long, and would
go along a public tarmac pavement and out into the street. Anyone got
any idea how much that would cost? Presumably permission would have to
be obtained from the council too. Does that cost?

Thx

Harry W B

Shame it's a ground floor flat otherwise I would have suggested a large
solar array.

Do you have any hamsters? Maybe give the following ago. Could be scaled
up for a dog/cat.

http://www.otherpower.com/hamster.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 31, 4:09 pm, Owain wrote:
And the work has to be done by a Roads and Streetworks Registered
Contractor. You will also have to pay for guarding and traffic lights etc.

Depends where it is and whether anyone notices. We got our kerb
dropped by a non-registered contractor, rather than pay the £400 fee
to the LA for "approval" and a list of approved contractors.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 09:29:43 +0100, Rob Horton
wrote:

Shame it's a ground floor flat otherwise I would have suggested a large
solar array.

Well, only the part where the meter was planned is on the ground
floor. The main part of the flat is on the first floor, with a sloping
roof to the south. Is solar power really a possibility? Would it
produce enough power to meet a one-bed flat's needs, even in Winter?
As a rough calculation, I think there is about 30 sq metres of
45-degree-sloping roof, facing south.

Harry W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Shame it's a ground floor flat otherwise I would have suggested a large
solar array.

Well, only the part where the meter was planned is on the ground
floor. The main part of the flat is on the first floor, with a sloping
roof to the south. Is solar power really a possibility? Would it
produce enough power to meet a one-bed flat's needs, even in Winter?
As a rough calculation, I think there is about 30 sq metres of
45-degree-sloping roof, facing south.

Harry W

In a nutshell, no.

--
Regards

Stephen Dawson
Fox Electrical Services Ltd
www.foxelectrical.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry W B wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 19:14:45 GMT, "Stephen Dawson"
wrote:

roof to the south. Is solar power really a possibility? Would it
produce enough power to meet a one-bed flat's needs, even in Winter?
As a rough calculation, I think there is about 30 sq metres of
45-degree-sloping roof, facing south.

Harry W

In a nutshell, no.

I don't know why, but that's what I suspected.

Harry W

If your insulation is good, your body heat alone would be enough..people
have gone the the north pole with only that to keep them warm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Presumably permission would have to
be obtained from the council too. Does that cost?

Yes, per day the highway is occupied (there is no difference between
pavement and street) until it's satisfactorily reinstated, and there are
penalty payments if the reinstatement isn't good enough.

And the work has to be done by a Roads and Streetworks Registered
Contractor. You will also have to pay for guarding and traffic lights etc

The *gas* connection company has also just sent me a quote for a new
gas supply: Only £385.00 *including* all digging and refilling of
trenches!

The required trench would be about the same length as the one required
for the new electric supply. So I am at a loss to imagine how the
Electric company can justify quoting £1,200 *not including digging and
refilling of trenches, or price of ducting*.

Is there three times as much work involved in connecting up a new
elecric supply, compared to a gas supply? Or are they just able to
charge whatever they like, because they are the only company licensed
to do the work?

Harry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

And the work has to be done by a Roads and Streetworks Registered
Contractor. You will also have to pay for guarding and traffic lights etc.

Depends where it is and whether anyone notices. We got our kerb
dropped by a non-registered contractor, rather than pay the £400 fee
to the LA for "approval" and a list of approved contractors.

Ah, you've got five million quid you can afford to throw
away then? I am insure to carry out non-invasive work on the
public highway and am insured to two million quid for it. Last
week I damaged a car parked near the property I was working
on. Without insurance I would have been looking at buying half
a new car.

--
JGH - Et Ovum Excoxi