Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Extending wiring

Hi,

I need to move a couple light switches and plugs in a bedroom as I am
putting up a partition wall to split it into two rooms.

Obviously there are many ways to join new lengths of wire to the
existing to make them reach their new location... But what is the
legal (building regs) and safe way of doing this?

Tom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomarse wrote:
Hi,

I need to move a couple light switches and plugs in a bedroom as I am
putting up a partition wall to split it into two rooms.

Obviously there are many ways to join new lengths of wire to the
existing to make them reach their new location... But what is the
legal (building regs) and safe way of doing this?

Tom

Crimps.

Or possibly twist solder and heatshrink.

Anything with screws has to be accessible. Blah Blah.

However lots of people use a bakelite connectoir block thing - junction
box- and lose it where the BCO can't see it.

Chocolate block is probably a nono, although if well taped up its
actually pretty safe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomarse wrote:

I need to move a couple light switches and plugs in a bedroom as I am
putting up a partition wall to split it into two rooms.

Obviously there are many ways to join new lengths of wire to the
existing to make them reach their new location... But what is the
legal (building regs) and safe way of doing this?

For joints in places where they will be accessible then a junction box
is fine. For a concealed joint (say one you will plaster over) you need
to use another method. Of those allowed crimping is the usual option chosen:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Cable_crimping

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Thomarse" wrote

I need to move a couple light switches and plugs in a bedroom as I am
putting up a partition wall to split it into two rooms.

Obviously there are many ways to join new lengths of wire to the
existing to make them reach their new location... But what is the
legal (building regs) and safe way of doing this?

Best way - strip out to source and replace with longer unbroken/unjointed
cable.
Failing that, crimps/junction box as others have advised.
If using new cable for either case, don't forget warning sticker on consumer
unit about differing colours in use.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Cable_crimping

Another excellent article John. Well done that man.

How do my pressure washer & carpet cleaning FAQ's get on this wiki thingy?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Cable_crimping

Another excellent article John. Well done that man.

Not seen that one before? Weeks old now ;-)

How do my pressure washer & carpet cleaning FAQ's get on this wiki thingy?

Decide what you want to call the article, and type the name into the
search box. Say "Pressure washers". That will take you to a page that
says "Oi, this don't exist, do you want to create it?" You say yup, it
pops up an edit box and off you go.

If you create an account and login first it will mean your work is
tagged with you account name, otherwise it will just get your IP
address. There are a few extra toy available if you register an account.

You can paste straight text in if you want. You can add photos etc, and
you can format the stuff to a greater or lesser degree depending on how
much fiddling you want to do. This article is a good starting point:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Editing

Failing that, find an article in there that has the layout you want, and
click edit on it to see the raw text. You can then copy any things you
want to do to your own.

--
Cheers,

John.