Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jb Jb is offline

Default Tiling

A quick simple question. Is it better/easier to tile first or last when
doing a bathroom refit?
TIA
Jb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 May 2007 22:02:04 +0100, "Jb" mused:

A quick simple question. Is it better/easier to tile first or last when
doing a bathroom refit?

In the middle.

Depends how much you're tiling and where.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jb wrote:

A quick simple question. Is it better/easier to tile first or last when
doing a bathroom refit?

Fit the bath before tiling, and everything else after.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 May 2007 00:20:04 +0100, John Rumm
mused:

Jb wrote:

A quick simple question. Is it better/easier to tile first or last when
doing a bathroom refit?

Fit the bath before tiling, and everything else after.

Unless you're only doing a couple of splashbacks, in which case fit
everything first and tile after.

See my earlier reply.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jb wrote:

A quick simple question. Is it better/easier to tile first or last when
doing a bathroom refit?

Fit the bath before tiling, and everything else after.

Unless you're only doing a couple of splashbacks, in which case fit
everything first and tile after.

See my earlier reply.

Tile under the loo first, and a pedestal if your basin has one, then fit
everything else, then finish the tiling.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jb Jb is offline

Jb wrote:

A quick simple question. Is it better/easier to tile first or last when
doing a bathroom refit?
Fit the bath before tiling, and everything else after.

Unless you're only doing a couple of splashbacks, in which case fit
everything first and tile after.

See my earlier reply.

Tile under the loo first, and a pedestal if your basin has one, then fit
everything else, then finish the tiling.

Thanks for info...
A bath and fitted units, tile floor, under floor heating, floor to ceiling
tiles. Tiles about A4 paper size but I've just realised we have a problem.
taps are the five hole type with a small microphone shower attachment. I
can't see anyway to stop water going straight through and under bath. which
is why I'm doing the refit in the first place. Am I missing a trick here or
are these 'oh so modern' five hole tap arrangements a bit useless really?
esp. as it will sit in spray area of main shower.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jb wrote:

A quick simple question. Is it better/easier to tile first or last
when doing a bathroom refit?
Fit the bath before tiling, and everything else after.

Unless you're only doing a couple of splashbacks, in which case fit
everything first and tile after.

See my earlier reply.

Tile under the loo first, and a pedestal if your basin has one, then fit
everything else, then finish the tiling.

Tiling round a sink or the back of a cistern always looks naff. By the
sink you see the cut edges, and you can't get the cistern lid off the
loo if they are thick tiles.

Whereas with a bath - especially one with a roll edge, you can chop that
into the wall and tile down onto it. That way you eliminate any moisture
traps at the edge.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jb wrote:

A quick simple question. Is it better/easier to tile first or last when
doing a bathroom refit?

Fit the bath before tiling, and everything else after.

Unless you're only doing a couple of splashbacks, in which case fit
everything first and tile after.

Only really works if the back of the sink is flat, if its too curvy or
slopes down to the wall at the last moment then the tile need to sail
under it a bit to look ok.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Jb wrote:

A quick simple question. Is it better/easier to tile first or last when
doing a bathroom refit?

Fit the bath before tiling, and everything else after.

In my bathroom, the gap between the bath and the walls at either end was
very neatly filled by the tiles and tiling first meant I did not have to cut
them. As they were 450mm x 300mm x 8mm thick and needed a stone cutting disk
in an angle grinder to cut them, that was a definite plus.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in
message ...

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Jb wrote:

A quick simple question. Is it better/easier to tile first or

last when
doing a bathroom refit?

Fit the bath before tiling, and everything else after.

In my bathroom, the gap between the bath and the walls at either end

was
very neatly filled by the tiles and tiling first meant I did not

have to cut
them. As they were 450mm x 300mm x 8mm thick and needed a stone

cutting disk
in an angle grinder to cut them, that was a definite plus.

Colin Bignell

I would normally agree - but I saw a 'Holmes on Homes' program on the
box yesterday where the bath (tub!) had an integral upstand, so by
pushing against the wall and tiling over the upstand a totally
waterproof joint resulted - quite neat I thought. Not sure if this
style of bath moulding has arrived on our market yet - the program is
of Canadian origin I think.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Jb wrote:

[...]

I don't know about baths but I fitted a Coram shower that had an integral
upstand - brilliant for piece of mind if you are slightly lacking in
confidence. Worth saying that their customer service was 110%.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 May 2007 02:03:53 +0100, "Jb" mused:

Thanks for info...
A bath and fitted units, tile floor, under floor heating, floor to ceiling
tiles. Tiles about A4 paper size

Tile the floor first, fit the bath, tile the whole rom then fit the
rest of it.

but I've just realised we have a problem.
taps are the five hole type with a small microphone shower attachment. I
can't see anyway to stop water going straight through and under bath. which
is why I'm doing the refit in the first place. Am I missing a trick here or
are these 'oh so modern' five hole tap arrangements a bit useless really?
esp. as it will sit in spray area of main shower.

You've lost me?
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jb" wrote

A quick simple question. Is it better/easier to tile first or last when
doing a bathroom refit?
TIA
Jb

When doing walls, plan the tiling to leave the lowest row (onto bath edge)
till last.
Then tile all walls (without working over bath and risking dropping tile
in), fit bath, then fit final row down to bath edge.
Likley that this last row will need to be cut using this method, so
allowance should be made for this.
The tile-bath sealant means that you won't see a full tile above the bath in
any case.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:

In my bathroom, the gap between the bath and the walls at either end was
very neatly filled by the tiles and tiling first meant I did not have to cut
them. As they were 450mm x 300mm x 8mm thick and needed a stone cutting disk
in an angle grinder to cut them, that was a definite plus.

If the bath is set away from the wall a bit, then that way is obviously
better. Many baths need chopping in on two sides to give them enough
rigidity though.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
nightjar nightjar@ wrote:

In my bathroom, the gap between the bath and the walls at either end was
very neatly filled by the tiles and tiling first meant I did not have to
cut them. As they were 450mm x 300mm x 8mm thick and needed a stone
cutting disk in an angle grinder to cut them, that was a definite plus.

If the bath is set away from the wall a bit, then that way is obviously
better. Many baths need chopping in on two sides to give them enough
rigidity though.

The instructions specified timber supports on all sides, either screwed to
the wall or built up from floor level, with screws through those into a
wooden strip moulded in under the lip. By careful adjustment of the bath
feet, I was able to put the timbers exactly where they would also support
the second row of tiles.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jb Jb is offline

All good advice and my thanks to all.
My plan is now: Fit bath (it is the design that has a built in upstand) by
chopping back to brick. Fit heating, lay floor tiles, tile walls and finish
with the built in basin, loo, cupboards etc.

Wish me luck guys it's the first time I've attempted a bathroom.

Thanks again

Jb

Tiling Leo Home Repair 3 December 6th 06 04:08 AM
Tiling John UK diy 4 October 2nd 06 04:40 PM
tiling help please Broadback UK diy 2 September 30th 06 06:44 PM
New to Tiling GeorgeH Home Repair 0 February 27th 06 04:19 AM
Tiling ? Richard UK diy 3 December 6th 04 06:26 PM