Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Steaming off wallpaper above a laminate floor

Am I right in assuming laminate flooring does not like water?

I have a wall where the paper has to be replaced and the flooring is
laminate.
Is it ok to use a steamer? I am concerned of the run off.

Mike P
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike P wrote:
Am I right in assuming laminate flooring does not like water?

I have a wall where the paper has to be replaced and the flooring is
laminate.
Is it ok to use a steamer? I am concerned of the run off.

Um... so put a towel on the floor?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 May 2007 20:00:51 +0100, Mike P mike@askme mused:

Am I right in assuming laminate flooring does not like water?

I have a wall where the paper has to be replaced and the flooring is
laminate.
Is it ok to use a steamer? I am concerned of the run off.

Do they not have dustsheets around your area, old bedsheets, curtains,
towels etc.., anything remotely absorbant?
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 May 2007 20:10:06 +0100, Lurch
wrote:

... On Fri, 25 May 2007 20:00:51 +0100, Mike P mike@askme mused:
... Am I right in assuming laminate flooring does not like water?
... I have a wall where the paper has to be replaced and the flooring is
... laminate.
... Is it ok to use a steamer? I am concerned of the run off.
... Do they not have dustsheets around your area, old bedsheets, curtains,
... towels etc.., anything remotely absorbant?

Fine .... I agree ... thanks for replies .... I just wondering if I
had missed other ideas.

Mike P
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

Mike P wrote:

... Is it ok to use a steamer? I am concerned of the run off.
... Do they not have dustsheets around your area, old bedsheets,
curtains,
... towels etc.., anything remotely absorbant?
Fine .... I agree ... thanks for replies .... I just wondering if I
had missed other ideas.

A towel soaks up runoff but does itself get wet.

A binbag under the towel stops the wet towel lying against the laminate.

I wouldn't go along with that, as the flooring will only get as wet as
when it is mopped. Mind you, if you leave the wet towel on the floor, in
the same place for some time, you might have a problem. It's getting
water under it, that is the killer, as I found out last year, when the
kitchen sink decided to leak very badly. You know you have a problem
when the underlay makes that swishing noise and the boards have curled
up on the edges.

Having said the above, I am assuming that you are stripping normal wall
paper. If it is emulsion painted, or washable vinyl, the you could get
enough run off water that could get under the flooring.

Charity shops can be a useful source of such things, if you find an old
dear who looks like she loves animals and ask for any unsaleable items
for doggy blankets.

Good point there. Last time I wanted 'decorating sheets' i drove about
15 to 20 miles to buy some cotton remnants. It would have been cheaper
to do as you say.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

.. On Fri, 25 May 2007 20:00:51 +0100, Mike P mike@askme mused:
..
.. Am I right in assuming laminate flooring does not like water?
..
.. I have a wall where the paper has to be replaced and the flooring is
.. laminate.
.. Is it ok to use a steamer? I am concerned of the run off.
..
.. Do they not have dustsheets around your area, old bedsheets, curtains,
.. towels etc.., anything remotely absorbant?

Fine .... I agree ... thanks for replies .... I just wondering if I
had missed other ideas.

The sheds sell thin plastic dustsheets as well as the fabric ones. Put
plastic under fabric and you are fine. Oh and provided you let the
steamer get up a good head of steam and do it right, there shouldn't be
too much run off. Get one of those things to score the wallpaper and use
it lots first. Makes a big difference with vinyl papers.

Peter
www.the-brights.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

IME the vinyl film peels off quite easily in strips, leaving just the
backing paper to soak. Woodchip is about the only stuff I use the
steamer on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Ours could be taken off without but only up to a point in thin strips
and with the steamer and knife it came of in large sheets. Much more
efficient.

Peter
www.the-brights.net

Laminate floor moisture barrier on 11th floor condo necessary? brendwal Home Repair 9 September 19th 06 07:51 PM
HELP-Best Laminate Floor [email protected] UK diy 5 January 25th 06 09:56 AM
What Sub-Floor material to use for Laminate floor ? gubawatts Home Repair 3 April 4th 05 02:17 AM
laminate floor Jones Home Repair 7 October 11th 04 10:28 PM
Laminate floor HD UK diy 0 September 7th 04 02:02 PM