Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garden Office Planning Permission

I am hoping to build a garden office. The only problem is that
planning permission is required where the office "would be nearer to
any highway than the nearest part of the original house (unless there
is 20m between the building and the highway)" ie where the office is
positioned between the house and the highway and the office is within
20m of the highway.

The problem is that there is a footpath that runs behind the house.
The footpath is less than 20m from the proposed site for the office
and so it seems to me that I would need planning permission.

Am I right?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 May 2007 15:32:06 -0700, Griffo
wrote:

I am hoping to build a garden office.

What's a "garden office"?

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-23 00:37:26 +0100, Frank Erskine

wrote:

I am hoping to build a garden office.

What's a "garden office"?

An office in the garden - i.e. a small, normally detached building
usually used as a home office.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks, that clears it up!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 22, 11:32 pm, Griffo wrote:
I am hoping to build a garden office. The only problem is that
planning permission is required where the office "would be nearer to
any highway than the nearest part of the original house (unless there
is 20m between the building and the highway)" ie where the office is
positioned between the house and the highway and the office is within
20m of the highway.

The problem is that there is a footpath that runs behind the house.
The footpath is less than 20m from the proposed site for the office
and so it seems to me that I would need planning permission.

It's sound like it's at the back of the house, the average footpath
user probably doesn't have a clue what it is (it's a gerden shed to
them) or what the planning rules are, just build it.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 May 2007 14:46:44 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

|!
|!"The Natural Philosopher" wrote in message

|!
|! Surely an office garden is a garden in, or used for, an office.
|!
|! Whereas a garden office is an office used in, or by, a garden..
|!
|!A site office is where you plan the work and take tea breaks.
|!So a garden office must be where you plan the garden and take tea breaks.

That is a Potting Shed which in my area does not need Planning Permission.
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 May 2007 07:45:43 -0700 someone who may be
" wrote this:-

The problem is that there is a footpath that runs behind the house.
The footpath is less than 20m from the proposed site for the office
and so it seems to me that I would need planning permission.

It's sound like it's at the back of the house, the average footpath
user probably doesn't have a clue what it is (it's a gerden shed to
them) or what the planning rules are, just build it.

Indeed. Build it now before John Prescott's lot start using
satellites to spot new bits and so increase the poll tax.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 May 2007 16:41:17 +0100, David Hansen
wrote:

|!Indeed. Build it now before John Prescott's lot start using
|!satellites to spot new bits and so increase the poll tax.

Which is totally false. Keep Up at the back there.
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page Completely Free to any
address in the UK. Contact me on the *above* email address.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 May 2007 16:46:11 +0100 someone who may be Dave Fawthrop
wrote this:-

|!Indeed. Build it now before John Prescott's lot start using
|!satellites to spot new bits and so increase the poll tax.

Which is totally false.

Time will tell whether it is totally false or not.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

|!Indeed. Build it now before John Prescott's lot start using
|!satellites to spot new bits and so increase the poll tax.

Which is totally false.

Time will tell whether it is totally false or not.

Already happens in some countries - there is even software available
that will do the looking for you.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 May 2007 06:12:04 +0100 someone who may be John Rumm
wrote this:-

|!Indeed. Build it now before John Prescott's lot start using
|!satellites to spot new bits and so increase the poll tax.

Which is totally false.

Time will tell whether it is totally false or not.

Already happens in some countries - there is even software available
that will do the looking for you.

Indeed and ISTR that John Prescott's lot were discussing things with
the sellers of such software.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 May 2007 17:00:23 +0100, David Hansen
wrote:

|!On Wed, 23 May 2007 16:46:11 +0100 someone who may be Dave Fawthrop
wrote this:-
|!
|!|!Indeed. Build it now before John Prescott's lot start using
|!|!satellites to spot new bits and so increase the poll tax.
|!
|!Which is totally false.

Keep Up at the back there. snip reinstated

|!Time will tell whether it is totally false or not.

John Prescott no longer has ministerial responsibilities.
Poll Tax is long gone and had nothing to do with buildings.

***Keep up at the back there****
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page Completely Free to any
address in the UK. Contact me on the *above* email address.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 May 2007 08:52:04 +0100 someone who may be Dave Fawthrop
wrote this:-

John Prescott no longer has ministerial responsibilities.

Hasn't had for some time. However, his lot are still doing the same
sort of things in different organisations.

Poll Tax is long gone

But not forgotten.

and had nothing to do with buildings.

It was a charge on adults living in a home.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Geo Geo is offline

wrote:

Indeed. Build it now before John Prescott's lot start using
satellites to spot new bits and so increase the poll tax.

Did you know that (at least) one council is surveying their region for building
heat loss (infra red) by aerial photography?

Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Griffo wrote:
I am hoping to build a garden office. The only problem is that
planning permission is required where the office "would be nearer to
any highway than the nearest part of the original house (unless there
is 20m between the building and the highway)" ie where the office is
positioned between the house and the highway and the office is within
20m of the highway.
The problem is that there is a footpath that runs behind the house.
The footpath is less than 20m from the proposed site for the office
and so it seems to me that I would need planning permission.
Am I right?

IANAL but I don't think a "footpath" counts as a "highway".

I too ANAL but if the public can use it 24hrs/day, it's a highway. I had a
rear footpath through a churchyard only classed as not a highway as the
churchyard gates were locked at night.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 24, 11:15 am, "Bob Mannix" wrote:
"Owain" wrote in message

... Griffo wrote:
I am hoping to build a garden office. The only problem is that
planning permission is required where the office "would be nearer to
any highway than the nearest part of the original house (unless there
is 20m between the building and the highway)" ie where the office is
positioned between the house and the highway and the office is within
20m of the highway.
The problem is that there is a footpath that runs behind the house.
The footpath is less than 20m from the proposed site for the office
and so it seems to me that I would need planning permission.
Am I right?

IANAL but I don't think a "footpath" counts as a "highway".

I too ANAL but if the public can use it 24hrs/day, it's a highway. I had a
rear footpath through a churchyard only classed as not a highway as the
churchyard gates were locked at night.

Sounds more like it wasn't actually a public right of way anyway,
otherwise you would be done for obstructing it by locking the gates.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Indeed. Build it now before John Prescott's lot start using
satellites to spot new bits and so increase the poll tax.

Did you know that (at least) one council is surveying their region

for building
heat loss (infra red) by aerial photography?

Geo

So if you are on holiday when they do it, and your house is unheated
it will get a good score - sounds about par for the course!

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Geo Geo is offline

On Thu, 24 May 2007 09:18:09 GMT, Geo wrote:

for some IR results see this map:-
http://www.seeit.co.uk/haringey/Map.cfm

Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Indeed. Build it now before John Prescott's lot start using
satellites to spot new bits and so increase the poll tax.

Did you know that (at least) one council is surveying their region for
building
heat loss (infra red) by aerial photography?

The police do that all the time.

Planning Permission for drainage? jon UK diy 4 April 9th 06 09:21 PM
Will I ever get planning permission??? [email protected] UK diy 5 December 8th 05 02:30 AM
Planning Permission Required ? Andy UK diy 7 May 9th 05 07:07 PM
Planning Permission Rick Dipper UK diy 3 November 15th 04 08:50 AM
default planning permission? Brian S Gray UK diy 11 August 30th 03 06:42 PM