Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Diagonal Wiring Run

Wiring Regs do not allow cables to run diagonally unless protected
which seems eminently sensible since it is not the most obvious route.

I now have to wire a series of lights that illuminate the stairs and
thus by definition run in a diagonal fashion. The most obvious wiring
is diagonally between each light, any other route would, I think, be
counter-intuitive. Would metal channelling be acceptable as mechanical
protection in this instance? It is likely to be a 12v supply.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
Andrew wrote:
I now have to wire a series of lights that illuminate the stairs and
thus by definition run in a diagonal fashion. The most obvious wiring
is diagonally between each light, any other route would, I think, be
counter-intuitive. Would metal channelling be acceptable as mechanical
protection in this instance? It is likely to be a 12v supply.

If it's ELV - like 12 volts - it doesn't need any protection. Although it
might be prudent to do so.

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
Andrew writes
Wiring Regs do not allow cables to run diagonally unless protected
which seems eminently sensible since it is not the most obvious route.

I now have to wire a series of lights that illuminate the stairs and
thus by definition run in a diagonal fashion. The most obvious wiring
is diagonally between each light, any other route would, I think, be
counter-intuitive. Would metal channelling be acceptable as mechanical
protection in this instance? It is likely to be a 12v supply.

Are these wall lights? Are you running the wiring in the wall or in the ceiling
part of the stairs? If you are running the wiring in the walls then you have
150mm in the corner between wall and ceiling as a permitted route or if
you are running the wiring in the plane of the (slanted) ceiling and not
deviating from side to then it isn't diagonal at all.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 May, 22:33, fred wrote:

Are these wall lights? Are you running the wiring in the wall or in the ceiling
part of the stairs? If you are running the wiring in the walls then you have
150mm in the corner between wall and ceiling as a permitted route or if
you are running the wiring in the plane of the (slanted) ceiling and not
deviating from side to then it isn't diagonal at all.

There are small 'step' lights, one every three steps that are recessed
into the wall about six inches above the step in question. So a long
way from the ceiling which in any case is horizontal for the length of
the stairs. Switches are already in place and there is a junction box
under the landing floor for connecting into. The wiring will go from
the floor vertically to the first light then diagonally connecting all
the others. Or at least, that is the plan.

Andrew