Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default repairing a cordless drill

I've got a Dewalt 14.4V cordless drill on long-term loan from a friend
(so I *have* to fix/replace). It's slipping, and the amount of torque
needed to make it slip is going down, quite rapidly. I partially
disassembled it to find a fairly self contained motor unit, a chuck that
appears to be attached with a reverse-handed screw down the spindle
(though removing it didn't suddenly make the chuck fall off, I imagine
it's a pretty tight fit), and a gear control spinner.

It is not the chuck that's slipping - I can hold the whole body of the
chuck still.

Is this a common problem, and is the solution easy/hard/buy a new one?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ben Blaukopf wrote:
I've got a Dewalt 14.4V cordless drill on long-term loan from a friend
(so I *have* to fix/replace). It's slipping, and the amount of torque
needed to make it slip is going down, quite rapidly. I partially
disassembled it to find a fairly self contained motor unit, a chuck that
appears to be attached with a reverse-handed screw down the spindle
(though removing it didn't suddenly make the chuck fall off, I imagine
it's a pretty tight fit), and a gear control spinner.

It is not the chuck that's slipping - I can hold the whole body of the
chuck still.

Is this a common problem, and is the solution easy/hard/buy a new one?

You *should* be able to buy spares for it. Try these people - I've found
them helpful in the past and if you can't find what you want on the site
phone them.

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/parts/list

--
*Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No tips on your problem, but I found a very useful diagram and spares
list (inc prices) for my drill he

http://www.mtmc.co.uk/prodtype.asp?c...eHi story=cat

Hopefuly you can navigate abut a bit and find your model.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Ben Blaukopf wrote:
I've got a Dewalt 14.4V cordless drill on long-term loan from a friend
(so I *have* to fix/replace). It's slipping, and the amount of torque
needed to make it slip is going down, quite rapidly. I partially
disassembled it to find a fairly self contained motor unit, a chuck that
appears to be attached with a reverse-handed screw down the spindle
(though removing it didn't suddenly make the chuck fall off, I imagine
it's a pretty tight fit), and a gear control spinner.

It is not the chuck that's slipping - I can hold the whole body of the
chuck still.

Is this a common problem, and is the solution easy/hard/buy a new one?

You *should* be able to buy spares for it. Try these people - I've found
them helpful in the past and if you can't find what you want on the site
phone them.

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/parts/list

That looks perfect, thanks.