Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Levelling" a concrete floor

A couple of years ago we had an extension built. The screeding in one of
the new rooms (5.5m x 3m) wasn't very good so I got the builder back to
improve it with some "self-levelling" screed. I just checked it before
laying some flooring and there are several areas that are 5-6mm low/high
- too late to get the builder back so I need to sort it myself.

I realise that "self-levelling" screed is a misnomer and I've never
enjoyed using the stuff before on small areas. Is there a "standard" way
to tackle a job like this where there's no reference?

It looks like the high-spots were created when they latex'ed it; is it
possible to sand-down the high spots?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NoSpam wrote:
A couple of years ago we had an extension built. The screeding in one of
the new rooms (5.5m x 3m) wasn't very good so I got the builder back to
improve it with some "self-levelling" screed. I just checked it before
laying some flooring and there are several areas that are 5-6mm low/high
- too late to get the builder back so I need to sort it myself.

I realise that "self-levelling" screed is a misnomer and I've never
enjoyed using the stuff before on small areas.

Me neither.

Is there a "standard" way
to tackle a job like this where there's no reference?

Best I can suggest is too lay a grid of strings, or battens, over the
top and simply do it slowly bit by bit by eye and measurement.

Use levels laid on the grids to get the level precise.

It looks like the high-spots were created when they latex'ed it; is it
possible to sand-down the high spots?

Should be. Or simply chip it up and re-level.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

It looks like the high-spots were created when they latex'ed it; is it
possible to sand-down the high spots?

Should be. Or simply chip it up and re-level.

As it happens I have a similar problem on the near horizon - I have a
floor where the screed for one half was laid at a later date to the
other, and there's a fairly slight but discernable ridge at the
junction, which will inevitably show through the intended vinyl floor
covering.

If this was dry plaster on a wall, then I'd be getting out my orbital
sander - but what's the tool to use for a concrete floor? Something on
an angle grinder, maybe?

Thanks
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-14 23:38:32 +0100, Lobster said:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

It looks like the high-spots were created when they latex'ed it; is it
possible to sand-down the high spots?

Should be. Or simply chip it up and re-level.

As it happens I have a similar problem on the near horizon - I have a
floor where the screed for one half was laid at a later date to the
other, and there's a fairly slight but discernable ridge at the
junction, which will inevitably show through the intended vinyl floor
covering.

If this was dry plaster on a wall, then I'd be getting out my orbital
sander - but what's the tool to use for a concrete floor? Something on
an angle grinder, maybe?

Thanks
David

A concrete planer will make your surface planar and plainer

http://www.hss.com/g/6401/Concrete_P...C_w_Blade.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

It looks like the high-spots were created when they latex'ed it; is
it possible to sand-down the high spots?

Should be. Or simply chip it up and re-level.

As it happens I have a similar problem on the near horizon - I have a
floor where the screed for one half was laid at a later date to the
other, and there's a fairly slight but discernable ridge at the
junction, which will inevitably show through the intended vinyl floor
covering.

If this was dry plaster on a wall, then I'd be getting out my orbital
sander - but what's the tool to use for a concrete floor? Something on
an angle grinder, maybe?

Thanks
David

Latex screed can be sanded with an abrasive disc. Concrete probably not

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
Lobster wrote:
[...]

The hire places will hire you a 'concrete grinder' that flatens floors

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-14 23:38:32 +0100, Lobster
said:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

It looks like the high-spots were created when they latex'ed it; is
it possible to sand-down the high spots?

Should be. Or simply chip it up and re-level.

As it happens I have a similar problem on the near horizon - I have a
floor where the screed for one half was laid at a later date to the
other, and there's a fairly slight but discernable ridge at the
junction, which will inevitably show through the intended vinyl floor
covering.

If this was dry plaster on a wall, then I'd be getting out my orbital
sander - but what's the tool to use for a concrete floor? Something
on an angle grinder, maybe?

A concrete planer will make your surface planar and plainer

http://www.hss.com/g/6401/Concrete_P...C_w_Blade.html

Thanks, but it'll make may wallet a bit more planar and plainer too, at
80 quid minimum hire! Since the room is a galley kitchen where the
(transverse) "ridge" is less than a meter long, I think I may explore
alternatives! Is there anything better than a brick/stone cutting disk
I could use on the angle grinder to just 'tickle' the ridge a bit?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-14 23:38:32 +0100, Lobster
said:

[...]

self-levelling floor screed? i used it in my house. worked fine.

dave cowell, germany

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000740-1, 15/05/2007
Tested on: 15.5.2007 21:19:58

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:
On 2007-05-14 23:38:32 +0100, Lobster said:

[...]

You didn't mention the length of the problem.....

It might be possible to do it with an angle grinder and suitable blade.

What about solving the problem a different way and using a sheet of ply?