Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best stuff for sealing a leaky flat felt-covered roof?

Can anyone advise what is the best stuff for sealing a leaky flat
felt-covered roof?

I once used some black bitumous liquid from B&Q, but the leaks
recurred after about 2 or 3 years.

Thank you,

Drake
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Drake" wrote in message

Can anyone advise what is the best stuff for sealing a leaky flat
felt-covered roof?

a tiled sloped roof
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vass" wrote in message
. uk...

"Drake" wrote in message

Can anyone advise what is the best stuff for sealing a leaky flat
felt-covered roof?

a tiled sloped roof
--

Or even a new felt covering. This is the minimum solution once they leak.
Factor the cost in your plans for every 10 years.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Drake wrote:
Can anyone advise what is the best stuff for sealing a leaky flat
felt-covered roof?

I once used some black bitumous liquid from B&Q, but the leaks
recurred after about 2 or 3 years.

It really depends on why it's leaking. If a seam etc has failed it can be
repaired. If the felt is crumbling replacement is the only real cure.

--
*Why does the sun lighten our hair, but darken our skin?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 May 2007 11:19:09 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

It really depends on why it's leaking. If a seam etc has failed it can be
repaired. If the felt is crumbling replacement is the only real cure.

Thanks. I saw no signs of crumbling felt when I last applied bitumous
sealing liquid a few years ago. But I'm really not sure where the leak
is, precisely. It could just be a small split that's very hard to
locate. All I know is the roughly 2ft x 2ft area where the leak is
located.

Drake

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 May 2007 11:10:59 +0100, "Bob Mannix"
wrote:

Or even a new felt covering. This is the minimum solution once they leak.
Factor the cost in your plans for every 10 years.

That sounds like a good solution, actually. Thanks...

Drake

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 May 2007 11:05:53 +0100, "Vass"
wrote:

a tiled sloped roof

Yes, I couldn't agree more. My only problem is the cost and time it
would take to construct.

Drake

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Drake wrote:

Can anyone advise what is the best stuff for sealing a leaky flat
felt-covered roof?

Strip it all off, and re-felt is the only real answer to that question.
If you keep fixing it, there is the problem that you may not stop all of
the leaks. So when you do eventually strip it off you are faced with the
possibility of replacing loads of rotten timber as well (and ceiling
joists if its dry rot you find!).

In spite of its poor reputation, a felt roof can last well if it has a
good solid base and at least three layers of quality felt that are
bonded on with hot tar.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Vass wrote:
Can anyone advise what is the best stuff for sealing a leaky flat
felt-covered roof?

a tiled sloped roof

The cost of doing this could exceed several felt roof replacements - even
if it were practical to do so. On many flat roofs - like extensions - it's
not due to windows etc above on the main building.

Flat roofs generally have a poor reputation due to poor design and
construction.

--
*Elephants are the only mammals that can't jump *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 May 2007 13:28:28 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Strip it all off, and re-felt is the only real answer to that question.
If you keep fixing it, there is the problem that you may not stop all of
the leaks. So when you do eventually strip it off you are faced with the
possibility of replacing loads of rotten timber as well (and ceiling
joists if its dry rot you find!).

In spite of its poor reputation, a felt roof can last well if it has a
good solid base and at least three layers of quality felt that are
bonded on with hot tar.

Thanks. I'm sure that would be the most long-lasting solution. But I'm
really just looking for a quick fix that will last at least a few
months. I don't intend to be living here much longer than that.

Drake

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 May 2007 14:56:21 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

The cost of doing this could exceed several felt roof replacements - even
if it were practical to do so. On many flat roofs - like extensions - it's
not due to windows etc above on the main building.
Flat roofs generally have a poor reputation due to poor design and
construction.

Yes, the above all applies in my case, as it happens.

Drake.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Strip it all off, and re-felt is the only real answer to that question.
If you keep fixing it, there is the problem that you may not stop all of
the leaks. So when you do eventually strip it off you are faced with the
possibility of replacing loads of rotten timber as well (and ceiling
joists if its dry rot you find!).

In spite of its poor reputation, a felt roof can last well if it has a
good solid base and at least three layers of quality felt that are
bonded on with hot tar.

Thanks. I'm sure that would be the most long-lasting solution. But I'm
really just looking for a quick fix that will last at least a few
months. I don't intend to be living here much longer than that.

Drake

I used that bitumen faced Al tape successfully to solve leaks in
several flat roofs. No doubt it has a proper name but it is available
in the sheds.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:

I used that bitumen faced Al tape successfully to solve leaks in
several flat roofs. No doubt it has a proper name but it is available
in the sheds.

flashband? (toolstation do a cheaper version - available in a number of
widths)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 May, 11:00, Drake wrote:
Can anyone advise what is the best stuff for sealing a leaky flat
felt-covered roof?

I once used some black bitumous liquid from B&Q, but the leaks
recurred after about 2 or 3 years.

Thank you,

Drake

Have you considered replacing with

http://www.midland-butyl.co.uk//bp/n...&subs=true&lm=
?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Drake
writes
wrote:

Strip it all off, and re-felt is the only real answer to that question.
If you keep fixing it, there is the problem that you may not stop all of
the leaks. So when you do eventually strip it off you are faced with the
possibility of replacing loads of rotten timber as well (and ceiling
joists if its dry rot you find!).

In spite of its poor reputation, a felt roof can last well if it has a
good solid base and at least three layers of quality felt that are
bonded on with hot tar.

Thanks. I'm sure that would be the most long-lasting solution. But I'm
really just looking for a quick fix that will last at least a few
months. I don't intend to be living here much longer than that.

Well in that case, and given that you say you know the general area of
the leak. how about a big patch of felt over that area, stuck down with
the paint on bitumen glue type stuff?
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote:

Well in that case, and given that you say you know the general area of
the leak. how about a big patch of felt over that area, stuck down with
the paint on bitumen glue type stuff?

Or a roll of "torch on" felt and a big blowtorch. Quick and easy to fix
and that will effect a repair that might even last a few of years.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Drake" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 May 2007 04:03:51 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Or a roll of "torch on" felt and a big blowtorch. Quick and easy to

fix
and that will effect a repair that might even last a few of years.

That sounds like what I need. Thanks. Can you tell me who sells it?
B&Q? Wickes?

Cheers,

Drake

Ironic really, as when looking at properties with flat roofs, they are
referred to as 'duck ponds' by surveyors, but I suppose where you find
ducks you find Drakes GGG

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Drake
writes
wrote:

Or a roll of "torch on" felt and a big blowtorch. Quick and easy to fix
and that will effect a repair that might even last a few of years.

That sounds like what I need. Thanks. Can you tell me who sells it?
B&Q? Wickes?

Might be in your local DIY shed, any Builders Merchants will sell it
though I imagine. (Note to all felt is suitable for 'torch on'
application)

As for the torch, probably best off hiring one.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Mawson wrote:
Drake

Ironic really, as when looking at properties with flat roofs, they are
referred to as 'duck ponds' by surveyors, but I suppose where you find
ducks you find Drakes GGG

They're only ever duck ponds if actually flat. Which is the problem. I can
only assume most builders want the work of replacing badly made ones as it
hardly costs more to put a proper slope on them.

--
*Born free...Taxed to death.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 May 2007 16:02:18 +0100, chris French
wrote:

Might be in your local DIY shed, any Builders Merchants will sell it
though I imagine. (Note to all felt is suitable for 'torch on'
application)

As for the torch, probably best off hiring one.

Thanks for the tip.

Drake

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Drake wrote:

Or a roll of "torch on" felt and a big blowtorch. Quick and easy to fix
and that will effect a repair that might even last a few of years.

That sounds like what I need. Thanks. Can you tell me who sells it?
B&Q? Wickes?

They may. A builders merchant will certainly have it. Price is about 50%
more than ordinary top felt. It helps if you have or hire a *big*
blowtorch, then you can simple heat it and press it on.

--
Cheers,

John.