Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Carpet shampoo

Having used one of Homebase's Rug Doctors and been very impressed with
the cleansing of the carpet. Is there any way I can raise the pile of a
wool carpet to its original state?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
Having used one of Homebase's Rug Doctors and been very impressed with
the cleansing of the carpet. Is there any way I can raise the pile of
a wool carpet to its original state?

It does depend on the type of weave, but in general if the Rug Doctor power
brush didn't do the job nothing will. Only suggestion I can offer is to do
it again - no guarantee it will work.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DIY DIY is offline

"Dave" wrote:
Having used one of Homebase's Rug Doctors and been very impressed with the
cleansing of the carpet. Is there any way I can raise the pile of a wool
carpet to its original state?

Dave

I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean that the Rug Doctor machine
cleaned the carpet but didn't raise the pile to its original state therefore
you are looking for a machine that will do both?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
Having used one of Homebase's Rug Doctors and been very impressed with
the cleansing of the carpet. Is there any way I can raise the pile of a
wool carpet to its original state?

Dave

Hoovering might,once its completely dried.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave wrote:

Having used one of Homebase's Rug Doctors and been very impressed with
the cleansing of the carpet. Is there any way I can raise the pile of
a wool carpet to its original state?

It does depend on the type of weave, but in general if the Rug Doctor power
brush didn't do the job nothing will. Only suggestion I can offer is to do
it again - no guarantee it will work.

I went over it 3 times.

To you and other posters to this question, the carpet was laid about 10
years ago and is quite an expensive Axminster carpet. Over the years the
pile has gone a bit like a woolen sweater that has been washed the
wrong. It has gone flat.

I am not looking for a machine that will bring the pile back vertical,
but a method that I can use.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave wrote:

Having used one of Homebase's Rug Doctors and been very impressed with
the cleansing of the carpet. Is there any way I can raise the pile of
a wool carpet to its original state?

It does depend on the type of weave, but in general if the Rug Doctor
power brush didn't do the job nothing will. Only suggestion I can offer
is to do it again - no guarantee it will work.

I went over it 3 times.

To you and other posters to this question, the carpet was laid about 10
years ago and is quite an expensive Axminster carpet. Over the years the
pile has gone a bit like a woolen sweater that has been washed the wrong.
It has gone flat.

I am not looking for a machine that will bring the pile back vertical, but
a method that I can use.

Dave

It doesn't quite answer your question, because it specifies a machine; -
but, the Carpet Cleaner (shampooer) Vax Rapide XL does precisely that. The
machine which shampoo's the carpet and vacuums the solution off, then
permits rinsing with clean water -and sucking that off
leaves the carpet clean, dry and with the pile upright!

It achieves this by having two contra-rotating powered roller brush-bars.
The two bars have the effect of 'up-righting' the carpet.

We've tried it on a stair carpet -about six years old- the carpet had been
definitely flattened over the years. After the machine had done its bit, the
pile was as new!

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Sharrock wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Dave wrote:

[...]

Many thanks for that. I'll take a look after the weekend.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
Brian Sharrock wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Dave wrote:

[...]

Make sure you "look" at the correct model ;

'Vax' has a bewildering range of models; all with only minor variations on
the naming;- Rapde; Rapide Super; Rapide XL etc. etc. But there are a large
number of variations in the 'fit'; some require the cleaning solution to be
pre-mixed; some have only one brush-bar

The model we bought has a pair of contra-rotating brush bars - each bar has
two spiral brushes which screw the brushes into the middle (sort
of] where the suction is effective.
It also has three tanks- one for cleaning solution; one for clean water [it
mixes the appropriate solution] and a large capacity 'dirty-water'
collection tank.

I can't claim for the efficacy of the other variants - I know some have only
one brushbar. We couldn't find the model in the sheds so eventually
purchased it -sight unseen- from QVC.

Actually, we saw it on QVC; decided we'd like to see one and trogged off
around the sheds: but none of the usual suspect stocked that high end model.

It wasn't cheap; but compared to the value of the carpets in the house I
'gambled' on the stair-carpet (particularly) lasting another year. -IMHO
it'll now outlast me!

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Sharrock wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message

Brian Sharrock wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Dave wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that Brian. I will go out to the shops and take a look mid
week. Your post is now being printed.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave wrote:
Having used one of Homebase's Rug Doctors and been very impressed
with the cleansing of the carpet. Is there any way I can raise the
pile of a wool carpet to its original state?

It does depend on the type of weave, but in general if the Rug Doctor
power brush didn't do the job nothing will. Only suggestion I can
offer is to do it again - no guarantee it will work.

What I meant by this post is that both soil extraction cleaning & the
addition of a power brush - which is what the Rug Doctor does - should have
raised the pile. Wool is a naturally resillient material, which is much
better than synthetics when it comes to shape retention.

If the Rug Doctor with its power brush didn't raise the pile I'm at a bit of
a loss - after being into carpet cleaning for 30+ years.

I can only think that previous cleaning has left a residue or that there is
still heavy soiling in the pile. If I were still cleaning carpet I would go
over it again with an acidic fibre & fabric rinse.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Dave wrote:

[...]

I'll try that. Thanks

Dave+

Reccomended carpet shampoo? Dark Angel UK diy 1 November 7th 06 07:31 PM
George shampoo m/c Dave UK diy 3 August 31st 06 12:39 AM
OT, FS:BISSELL 1.42lt CARPET & UPHOLSTERY SHAMPOO magicspoons UK diy 0 March 24th 06 08:01 PM
Vax Carpet Shampoo John UK diy 7 January 30th 06 04:52 PM
carpet shampoo refills - wheer to buy? keith UK diy 1 November 4th 03 11:45 AM