Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

Default Fixing edging strip to worktop

Evostik or PVA?

Or is there a third way?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
F writes:
Evostik or PVA?

Evostik contact adhesive works.
Resin wood glues work well too when the edging strip is resin based.
I wouldn't use PVA for this.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
Evostik or PVA?

Or is there a third way?

TIA

Evostik has my vote - worked for me.
Paul R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:

Evostik or PVA?

traditional Evilstink or similar contact/impact adhesive.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 30/04/2007 04:11 John Rumm wrote:

traditional Evilstink or similar contact/impact adhesive.

Thanks. Looks like it's Evostik then.

I asked as I had seen a reference to PVA U on a Formica Axiom worktop
instruction sheet.

--
Frank

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 30/04/2007 22:37 F wrote:

I asked as I had seen a reference to PVA U on a Formica Axiom worktop
instruction sheet.

Found it (but I mis-quoted PVAc as PVA U):

All exposed edges should be finished with matching laminate, as supplied
with every Axiom laminate worktop.

Ensure that the cut edge is flat, clean and dust free. Apply a
proprietary adhesive, ideally PVAc, to the edge of the worktop. It can
be applied using a 12-25mm paint brush, directly to the chipboard edge.
The edging strip should then be placed sanded side down onto the wet
adhesive. Ensure that there is sufficient overhang of edging on both the
face and underside of the worktop.

Using an electric iron, set on medium, apply pressure to the edging
strip and hold in place for approximately 5-10 seconds, then slowly move
along the strip and repeat. Ensure that any deposits of glue on the
surface of the worktop or the decorative face of the edging are
immediately wiped off with a clean damp cloth. Leave for at least 1 hour
before removing excess edging strip. To remove excess edging strip use
either a portable trimming machine or a sharp block plane. Final
finishing can best be achieved by using a 250mm smooth file.

--
Frank