DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Concrete Patio (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/199146-concrete-patio.html)

JJA April 28th 07 12:27 AM

Concrete Patio

I know this is a tough one. I have a concrete patio about 5m x 5m that I
want to cover with a light grain gravel. The reason being that the concrete
looks sh*t. What I want to know is, I think there is a method for laying a
substrate of bitumen adhesive, and then coating it with the gravel to a thin
layer. The reason you would do this is that if you just chuck a load of
gravel on top of concrete it will just slide around and pile up in the
corners.

My question is, what would be the best type of substrate, and I can I buy
tubs of it rather than have a contractor come round with a flippin asphalt
truck...?

Any help gratefully received!

The Natural Philosopher April 28th 07 09:43 AM

Concrete Patio

JJA wrote:
I know this is a tough one. I have a concrete patio about 5m x 5m that I
want to cover with a light grain gravel. The reason being that the concrete
looks sh*t. What I want to know is, I think there is a method for laying a
substrate of bitumen adhesive, and then coating it with the gravel to a thin
layer. The reason you would do this is that if you just chuck a load of
gravel on top of concrete it will just slide around and pile up in the
corners.

My question is, what would be the best type of substrate, and I can I buy
tubs of it rather than have a contractor come round with a flippin asphalt
truck...?

Any help gratefully received!

I'd be inclined to lay about 3" of dryish mixed sand and cement and then
tip gravel onto it while wet..

The Medway Handyman April 28th 07 11:00 AM

Concrete Patio

JJA wrote:
I know this is a tough one. I have a concrete patio about 5m x 5m
that I want to cover with a light grain gravel. The reason being that
the concrete looks sh*t.

Timber decking sounds an ideal solution?

If you want any advice let me know, I've built loads.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman