Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default handles for high gates and outside doors (e.g. sheds)

We have a number of high gates and shed doors which have a mottley
collection of cabin hooks and similar devices holding them closed at
the moment. I'm looking for something better that would be easier to
use, requirements a-

Possible to operate from both sides, these are not gates
you can reach over or through.

Easy to close, I'd really like them to latch when pushed but this
isn't absolutely vital.

Able to cope with fairly poor 'registration' of gate/door with
post/frame.

I.e. what we want is something like the following:-

but which can be worked from both sides. We have lots of the above
gate latches and they're just about ideal for gates you can reach over
but not where you can't.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 15:34:20 +0000, tinnews wrote:

We have a number of high gates and shed doors which have a mottley
collection of cabin hooks and similar devices holding them closed at the
moment. I'm looking for something better that would be easier to use,
requirements a-

Possible to operate from both sides, these are not gates you can reach
over or through.

Easy to close, I'd really like them to latch when pushed but this
isn't absolutely vital.

Able to cope with fairly poor 'registration' of gate/door with
post/frame.

I.e. what we want is something like the following:-

but which can be worked from both sides. We have lots of the above gate
latches and they're just about ideal for gates you can reach over but not
where you can't.

===============================
Since security is apparently not a major issue you could cut a handhole
in each gate / door at appropriate points and use the item from Screwfix.

Cic.
--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:
[...]

Well, maybe, but it's not an ideal solution as "cutting a hole" would
involve quite a bit of extra structure to hold the doors together.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 15:34:20 UTC, wrote:

We have a number of high gates and shed doors which have a mottley
collection of cabin hooks and similar devices holding them closed at
the moment. I'm looking for something better that would be easier to
use, requirements a-

Possible to operate from both sides, these are not gates
you can reach over or through.

Easy to close, I'd really like them to latch when pushed but this
isn't absolutely vital.

Able to cope with fairly poor 'registration' of gate/door with
post/frame.

I.e. what we want is something like the following:-

but which can be worked from both sides. We have lots of the above
gate latches and they're just about ideal for gates you can reach over
but not where you can't.

What about:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...=47321&id=1186
6

We even use one of these on an inside door!

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

We have one like that (on a shed) and it's a disaster, the metal loop
is always in the way of the door when you try to close it. I suspect
this is because it's positioned a bit to close to the edge of the door
but there's no choice in this particular case.

It's a possibility but not ideal, it certainly doesn't satisfy the
"latch when pushed" bit.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
We have a number of high gates and shed doors which have a mottley
collection of cabin hooks and similar devices holding them closed at
the moment. I'm looking for something better that would be easier to
use, requirements a-

Possible to operate from both sides, these are not gates
you can reach over or through.

Easy to close, I'd really like them to latch when pushed but this
isn't absolutely vital.

Able to cope with fairly poor 'registration' of gate/door with
post/frame.

The traditional answer is a thumb latch e.g.:

http://www.locksonline.co.uk/acatalo...b_Latches.html

The bit on the left fits to the gate post. The bit next to that is the
latch, which goes on the inside of the gate and engages with the bit on the
gate post. The handle goes on the outside of the gate. It has a lever, which
passes through the gate and fits underneath the latch. It lifts that either
directly from the inside or by a thumb operated lever from the outside. The
pin on a chain can be used to stop the latch lifting, which makes it
impossible to open with the thumb lever from the outside.

They are also available as galvanised steel items, from most ironmongers.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar" nightjar@ insert my surnme here.uk.com wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Essentially a 'prettified' Suffolk Latch, but yes, it's the sort of
thing I'm after, thank you.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
We have a number of high gates and shed doors which have a mottley
collection of cabin hooks and similar devices holding them closed at
the moment. I'm looking for something better that would be easier to
use, requirements a-

You need a Suffolk latch surely:
http://tinyurl.com/2rgw5q (or
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A332970&ts=47847&id=73390)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
wrote:
We have a number of high gates and shed doors which have a mottley
collection of cabin hooks and similar devices holding them closed at
the moment. I'm looking for something better that would be easier to
use, requirements a-

You need a Suffolk latch surely:
http://tinyurl.com/2rgw5q (or
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A332970&ts=47847&id=73390)

That's definitely a possibility, thank you.

--
Chris Green

BARNS, SHEDS, GATES, ETC. J T Woodworking 2 August 19th 06 09:59 PM
High quality screen/storm doors for old houses blueman Home Repair 0 August 15th 06 04:27 PM
[OT] Sheds from space Vortex UK diy 28 July 21st 05 11:06 PM
Sheds? Badger UK diy 12 January 5th 05 04:11 PM
Espagnolette handles for wooden doors/windows Colin Blackburn UK diy 7 September 23rd 03 02:45 AM