Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

Default Pond liner against block paving

Our pond liner needs to be replaced.

On three sides it comes up against garden where it folds over level and
is hidden by strategically placed sandstone.

The fourth side now comes up against newly laid block paving and I'm in
need of a way to hide it. Ideally I would want it to be level with the
underside of the paving blocks but am concerned at what might happen if
I tried to tuck it under the blocks and, later, if water got under the
blocks when the pond level rises after heavy rain.

Anyone any ideas/experience?

TIA

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
The fourth side now comes up against newly laid block paving and I'm in
need of a way to hide it. Ideally I would want it to be level with the
underside of the paving blocks but am concerned at what might happen if
I tried to tuck it under the blocks and, later, if water got under the
blocks when the pond level rises after heavy rain.

Don't really see a problem. But when we had a garden pond when I was a
kid, I remember my folks building in an overflow (just a hosepipe IIRC)
to duct any surplus water somewhere appropriate if the level rose close
to the rim of the pond (in our case, into an adjacent bog garden rather
than over the footpath and lawn near the pond.)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:

Our pond liner needs to be replaced.

On three sides it comes up against garden where it folds over level
and is hidden by strategically placed sandstone.

The fourth side now comes up against newly laid block paving and I'm
in need of a way to hide it. Ideally I would want it to be level with
the underside of the paving blocks but am concerned at what might
happen if I tried to tuck it under the blocks and, later, if water
got under the blocks when the pond level rises after heavy rain.

Anyone any ideas/experience?

TIA

The construction of our pond might just give some ideas. The edge of ours is
covered with paving stones all round, but you could use the same priciple as
us below that.

The sides of our pond are built with concrete blocks with one course of blue
bricks right at the top, under the paving stones. The liner comes up over
the concrete blocks. The blue bricks sit on top of that, and the liner then
goes up the back of the blue bricks - and the edge is trapped in the mortar
layer under the paving stones. The water level - determined by a built-in
overflow - is half-way up the blue bricks so that none of the lining shows
above the water.

Applying that to your situation, you could possibly take the liner under one
row of pavers, and then up beween the first and second row, and cut it off
flush with the top surface once all the pavers are in place. That way, the
pond water would only ever come in contact with one row of pavers - and you
could make a feature of that if you wished, using something with better
water resistance than the rest of the paved area.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 23/04/2007 18:40 Roger Mills wrote:

The sides of our pond are built with concrete blocks with one course of blue
bricks right at the top, under the paving stones. The liner comes up over
the concrete blocks. The blue bricks sit on top of that, and the liner then
goes up the back of the blue bricks - and the edge is trapped in the mortar
layer under the paving stones. The water level - determined by a built-in
overflow - is half-way up the blue bricks so that none of the lining shows
above the water.

Thanks: you've given me an idea!

The block paving is already in so I really don't want to touch it.
However, if I build up this fourth side of the pond with concrete blocks
as you have done, then wrap the top of the liner over the top of them
before running it up against the vertical face of the outside row of
paver blocks, I could then bed a row of the paver blocks on mortar on
top of it to trap and hide it. With a carefully placed overflow, the
water level could then be safely set to half way up the bedded-in pavers.

Anyone spot a problem?

--
Frank