Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dry lining a concrete garage

Hello

We have just moved to a new house that has a concrete garage which we
would like to turn the rear half into an office.

Is it possible to seal and dry line the walls with plasterboard on
this type of structure

TIA
Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 21, 11:37 pm, PaulRaw wrote:
Hello

We have just moved to a new house that has a concrete garage which we
would like to turn the rear half into an office.

Is it possible to seal and dry line the walls with plasterboard on
this type of structure

Of course it is. You can do it direct to the walls with bonding
plaster or you can make it damp proof and warmer with a sheet of
Visqueen and some rock wool. That will need studwork though and that
will reduce the size of the office space somewhat.

Get some 2x2 inch rough sawn treated timber and make sure you get
straight bits. A timber yard will chop it to the sizes you want if you
are willing to wait for the service.

Pin the Visqueen to the top of the walls and put a length of 2x2 every
400mm apart. Watch out that every third one takes two sheet edges.
(They are 1200 mm wide so you need to space the timber to suit.)

You may have trouble fixing the studding to the walls so you had best
make it as a frame. A small one should be able to support itself with
a little help from braces and a few fixings in the floor.

In which case tack the Visqueen to the top of the frame after you make
it but before you offer it up. Put a cross piece (called noggins - no
idea why) in between every stud. Put in any wiring and whatever else,
then the rock wool then plasterboard it.

One little tip if you intend to just paper the board, cut off the
edges where they are dished to take scrim or tape. Or use the type
that have just flat, undished edges.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Apr 2007 15:37:27 -0700, PaulRaw wrote:

|!Hello
|!
|!We have just moved to a new house that has a concrete garage which we
|!would like to turn the rear half into an office.

Don't tell the local planning authority what you are doing!!!
They may well want you to get building regulations approval for the
changes, and insist that all the windows, services etc. are to the same
standard as the house.
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
On 21 Apr 2007 15:37:27 -0700, PaulRaw wrote:

|!Hello
|!
|!We have just moved to a new house that has a concrete garage which we
|!would like to turn the rear half into an office.

Don't tell the local planning authority what you are doing!!!
They may well want you to get building regulations approval for the
changes, and insist that all the windows, services etc. are to the same
standard as the house.

Not just may ----- a 100% bet, this is a material change of use .... and
this would come under planning and Building Control .... if they found out
about it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PaulRaw wrote:
Hello

We have just moved to a new house that has a concrete garage which we
would like to turn the rear half into an office.

Is it possible to seal and dry line the walls with plasterboard on
this type of structure

TIA
Paul

Yes. use a vaopupr barrier in fromt of te insulation.

My choice would be stids with celotex between,taped over with foil tape
and plasterboarded out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-22 11:11:40 +0100, The Natural Philosopher said:

PaulRaw wrote:
Hello

We have just moved to a new house that has a concrete garage which we
would like to turn the rear half into an office.

Is it possible to seal and dry line the walls with plasterboard on
this type of structure

TIA
Paul

Yes. use a vaopupr barrier in fromt of te insulation.

My choice would be stids with celotex between,taped over with foil tape
and plasterboarded out.

Agreed and it uses much less depth for equivalent insulation than would
be required for rockwool or glass fibre.

dry lining, insulation and electrics [email protected] UK diy 2 February 15th 07 07:07 PM
Dry lining a damp wall Bodgit UK diy 10 December 30th 06 01:08 PM
Dry Lining Gunther Gloop UK diy 33 September 18th 06 02:35 PM
Dry lining boxes John Horne UK diy 1 January 19th 04 12:59 PM
Woodburners and dry lining 4-LOM UK diy 12 January 17th 04 12:06 PM