The Natural Philosopher

Default Weird mouse problem solved...

Some time ago I posted a PC problem - random mouse m,ovements and
windows opening and closing all teh time.

Well, it wasn't a virus, and changing the mouse seemed to help...but it
was getting worse and worse..and occasionally the keyboard locked as well.

A bt of a discussion with the local propellor heads elicited the fact
that to do THAT (have the keyboard lock up) was deep Hardware Magic.

My suspicions were already aroused,so I blagged a spare processor fan -
I have seen this sort of random weidrness on CPU's that got too hot before.

Bingo.

On inspection, a moth had died in the fan, and got its corsep stiuck
between the blades and teh heatsink, and teh subsequent build up of dist
fag ash, mouse droppings and who knows waht had clogged theheatsink.

A bit of a puff with the mark I lips pursed plus the MkII finger to
remove the moth, had her all up and running...so far...so good.

Just in case someone else has similar problems.

Must take the fan back. The old one works fine, sans moth...

John Penton

On inspection, a moth had died in the fan, and got its corsep stiuck
between the blades and teh heatsink, and teh subsequent build up of dist
fag ash, mouse droppings and who knows waht had clogged theheatsink.

You should ban your mice from smoking in there.

RichardS

Some time ago I posted a PC problem - random mouse m,ovements and
windows opening and closing all teh time.

snip fan woes

Must take the fan back. The old one works fine, sans moth...

Failing fans can cause all sorts of problems.

My trusty old linux router/gateway/firewall took upon itself to reboot
spontaneously and frequently. Most un-linux-like behaviour.

Cause was similar - fan blocked with crud and fluff, prolly sucked off the
cat when she decided that power supplies were a useful source of bedtime
warmth.

Quick blast through with Henry, and it's not rebooted once in the three
months that have passed.

cheers
Richard
--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

nightjar

Just in case someone else has similar problems.

At the moment my CPU is running at 31C, the main hard drive at 29C, inside
the case is 27C, the PSU is at 35C and all 11 fans are working quite well
thank you.

Colin Bignell

Owain

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote
| A bit of a puff with the mark I lips pursed plus the MkII finger

That's pretty advanced. I'm still on MkI for all body parts apart from my
MkII teeth.

Owain

Mary Pegg

Owain wrote:

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote
| A bit of a puff with the mark I lips pursed plus the MkII finger

That's pretty advanced. I'm still on MkI for all body parts apart from my
MkII teeth.

I get a *lot* of spam offering me various hardware upgrades.
The Natural Philosopher

Mary Pegg wrote:

Owain wrote:

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote
| A bit of a puff with the mark I lips pursed plus the MkII finger

That's pretty advanced. I'm still on MkI for all body parts apart from my
MkII teeth.

I get a *lot* of spam offering me various hardware upgrades.

Somehow I feel that penis enlargement techniques might nor suit you..

hew_dunnit

The Natural Philosopher wrote in message ...
Mary Pegg wrote:

Owain wrote:

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote
| A bit of a puff with the mark I lips pursed plus the MkII finger

That's pretty advanced. I'm still on MkI for all body parts apart from my
MkII teeth.

I get a *lot* of spam offering me various hardware upgrades.

Somehow I feel that penis enlargement techniques might nor suit you..

Depends whose penis it is!
geoff

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Mary Pegg wrote:

Owain wrote:

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote
| A bit of a puff with the mark I lips pursed plus the MkII finger

That's pretty advanced. I'm still on MkI for all body parts apart from my
MkII teeth.

I get a *lot* of spam offering me various hardware upgrades.

Somehow I feel that penis enlargement techniques might nor suit you..

Especially if you get it caught in the fan
--
geoff
John Rumm

geoff wrote:

Somehow I feel that penis enlargement techniques might nor suit you..

Especially if you get it caught in the fan

A friend works for a company that rent out AV kit for corporate do's
etc. Hence quite often he finds himself at various functions driving
some bit of AV gear, and running slide shows etc.

One such occation was a big NHS conference where amoung other things
discussed were some of the strange "accidents" thet the A&E people have
to deal with.

Apparently one of the most common causes of penile shaft injury in the
UK is (or was - this was a few years ago now) - the Dustbuster type of
rechargeable mini vacuum cleaners. Apparently some of them have a
rotating fan blade with sharp edges not that far from the nose of the
machine. I will leave the rest to your collective imaginations!

Salami anyone?

--
Cheers,

John.

Ian Clowes

The Natural Philosopher wrote in message ...
Some time ago I posted a PC problem - random mouse m,ovements and
windows opening and closing all teh time.

Hi

Although I didn't quite have that set of problems I once had very
annoying mouse behaviour.

After a bit of analysis I worked out it was because I used the mouse
right next to the window. On sunny days the light was strong enough
to penetrate the case and confuse the opto sensors. A new mouse with
a darker plastic case fixed it.

IanC
John Rumm

Ian Clowes wrote:

After a bit of analysis I worked out it was because I used the mouse
right next to the window. On sunny days the light was strong enough
to penetrate the case and confuse the opto sensors. A new mouse with
a darker plastic case fixed it.

I found that once a few years ago with a mouse - it only moved up and
down on sunny days! The solution was to take the lid off it and colour
the inside with a permenent marker pen - put it all back together and it
worked fine after that!

--
Cheers,

John.

Suz

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Ian Clowes wrote:

After a bit of analysis I worked out it was because I used the mouse
right next to the window. On sunny days the light was strong enough
to penetrate the case and confuse the opto sensors. A new mouse with
a darker plastic case fixed it.

I found that once a few years ago with a mouse - it only moved up and
down on sunny days! The solution was to take the lid off it and colour
the inside with a permenent marker pen - put it all back together and it
worked fine after that!

That is hardly the case here because the "double-click" is being activated
and it is mechanical rather than optical.

Tim Mitchell

In article , Suz
writes

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Ian Clowes wrote:

After a bit of analysis I worked out it was because I used the mouse
right next to the window. On sunny days the light was strong enough
to penetrate the case and confuse the opto sensors. A new mouse with
a darker plastic case fixed it.

I found that once a few years ago with a mouse - it only moved up and
down on sunny days! The solution was to take the lid off it and colour
the inside with a permenent marker pen - put it all back together and it
worked fine after that!

That is hardly the case here because the "double-click" is being activated
and it is mechanical rather than optical.

Even "non optical" mice still sense the ball movement optically using
slotted discs.
--
Tim Mitchell
Suz

"Tim Mitchell" wrote in message
In article , Suz
writes

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Ian Clowes wrote:

After a bit of analysis I worked out it was because I used the mouse
right next to the window. On sunny days the light was strong enough
to penetrate the case and confuse the opto sensors. A new mouse with
a darker plastic case fixed it.

I found that once a few years ago with a mouse - it only moved up and
down on sunny days! The solution was to take the lid off it and colour
the inside with a permenent marker pen - put it all back together and

it
worked fine after that!

That is hardly the case here because the "double-click" is being

activated
and it is mechanical rather than optical.

Even "non optical" mice still sense the ball movement optically using
slotted discs.
--

This is true (but besides the point). But the buttons are mechanical and
not optical, and the OP's problem included windows being opened and closed,

John Rumm

Suz wrote:

I found that once a few years ago with a mouse - it only moved up and
down on sunny days! The solution was to take the lid off it and colour
the inside with a permenent marker pen - put it all back together and it
worked fine after that!

That is hardly the case here because the "double-click" is being activated
and it is mechanical rather than optical.

Sorry you might have got the wrong impression of my answer - I was being
all anecdotal and not attempting to solve the OPs problem at all! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Simon Avery

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Hello The

TNP| On inspection, a moth had died in the fan, and got its
TNP| corsep stiuck between the blades and teh heatsink, and teh
TNP| subsequent build up of dist fag ash, mouse droppings and who
TNP| knows waht had clogged theheatsink.

MBM5 is a wonderful tool for diagnostics.

TNP| Must take the fan back. The old one works fine, sans moth...

Keep it. The day after you return it, your existing fan is bound to
die for real.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/