Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hot water cylinder

Hi

We have a hot water tank in the airing cupboard and our central
heating is controlled by a control in the kitchen which is supposed to
heat the hot water as well as the radiators. However the control for
'hot water only' on the device doesnt work so last year in the summer
i had to have the heating on with the radiators turned off just to
heat the hot water.

I have now found a single switch in the kitchen that a little red
light on the socket comes on when I switch it on that I believe turns
on the immersion heater. I had it switched on for about 3 hours this
evening, and the heating/hot water control switched off. This still
has not heated the water. I have also found a little black on/off
switch next to the hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard with a
little pipe/connection to the cylinder. Does this need to be switched
to on in order for the switch in kitchen to work, and will this heat
my hot water?

How long does it take to heat the water?

And one last question...this may seem a bit silly, but isnt an
electric switch controlling a pipe to heat water and water together a
bit dangerous??

Hope you can help...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Apr 2007 15:22:57 -0700 someone who may be "David"
wrote this:-

We have a hot water tank in the airing cupboard and our central
heating is controlled by a control in the kitchen which is supposed to
heat the hot water as well as the radiators. However the control for
'hot water only' on the device doesnt work so last year in the summer
i had to have the heating on with the radiators turned off just to
heat the hot water.

That is probably because a control valve is not working. They can be
replaced, but get someone with experience to test it and replace if
necessary.

I have now found a single switch in the kitchen that a little red
light on the socket comes on when I switch it on that I believe turns
on the immersion heater.

That is often the case, provided that an immersion heater is fitted
and it is working.

I had it switched on for about 3 hours this
evening, and the heating/hot water control switched off. This still
has not heated the water. I have also found a little black on/off
switch next to the hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard with a
little pipe/connection to the cylinder.

Hopefully there is a length of rubber covered cable from the switch
to the immersion heater.

Does this need to be switched
to on in order for the switch in kitchen to work,

Assuming normal wiring then this should be left on all the time, it
is only for use while working on the heater, and the heater
controlled from the kitchen.

and will this heat my hot water?

Provided the things I mentioned above are correct then it should do,
assuming it is not on an off-peak circuit.

How long does it take to heat the water?

It depends on several factors. Allow an hour.

And one last question...this may seem a bit silly, but isnt an
electric switch controlling a pipe to heat water and water together a
bit dangerous??

It is not particularly dangerous if the installation os
designed/installed and maintained properly. 100% safety is
impossible, but a bath and any stairs in the house undoubtedly pose
more danger to the occupants. Lying in bed is also probably more
dangerous.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

[...]

Thank you for your help, I shall try it out later.

Regards
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
David wrote:
We have a hot water tank in the airing cupboard and our central
heating is controlled by a control in the kitchen which is supposed to
heat the hot water as well as the radiators. However the control for
'hot water only' on the device doesnt work so last year in the summer
i had to have the heating on with the radiators turned off just to
heat the hot water.

Sounds like you have a faulty valve somewhere. The controller actuates
(usually) a three port valve that controls the flow of water from the
boiler to either heat the rads or the cylinder. These can fail.

I have now found a single switch in the kitchen that a little red
light on the socket comes on when I switch it on that I believe turns
on the immersion heater. I had it switched on for about 3 hours this
evening, and the heating/hot water control switched off. This still
has not heated the water.

Sounds like your immersion has failed too - they can do so even if never
used. They sort of rot through.

I have also found a little black on/off
switch next to the hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard with a
little pipe/connection to the cylinder. Does this need to be switched
to on in order for the switch in kitchen to work, and will this heat
my hot water?

I dunno what this is by your description. You get thermostats like this
but they don't have switches.

How long does it take to heat the water?

And one last question...this may seem a bit silly, but isnt an
electric switch controlling a pipe to heat water and water together a
bit dangerous??

Is an electric kettle dangerous too?

Hope you can help...

You need a heating engineer to check out your system.

--
*A fool and his money are soon partying *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 16, 8:29 am, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article .com,
David wrote:

[...]

Good point about the kettle.!
Thanks

New hot water cylinder? Matthew UK diy 5 October 31st 06 12:36 PM
Moving a Hot Water Cylinder & Cold Water Tank Andy Hide UK diy 1 November 11th 04 12:14 AM
Hot water cylinder Pandora UK diy 67 November 4th 04 09:02 PM
Pipe run between Cold water tank and hot water cylinder. John Durham UK diy 3 March 3rd 04 10:02 AM
Hot Water Cylinder Chris UK diy 1 November 3rd 03 06:00 PM