Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sewer pipe encased in concrete?

While removing earth from my rockery in preparation for building some
steps I have come across a large chunk of concrete. This is
unfortunately in the way and I would like to move it. But I have a
feeling it could be a sewer pipe encased in concrete, does this sound
right?

It is on the same alignment between my inspection cover and my
neighbours. Strangely the concrete is above the level of the lawn but
about 0.75 meters below the path outside my patio doors. Maybe this is
the reason it is protected in concrete? Or are all sewer pipes built
this way?

Thanks,

Graham
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham Jones wrote:
While removing earth from my rockery in preparation for building some
steps I have come across a large chunk of concrete. This is
unfortunately in the way and I would like to move it. But I have a
feeling it could be a sewer pipe encased in concrete, does this sound
right?

It is on the same alignment between my inspection cover and my
neighbours. Strangely the concrete is above the level of the lawn but
about 0.75 meters below the path outside my patio doors. Maybe this is
the reason it is protected in concrete? Or are all sewer pipes built
this way?

Thanks,

Graham

Its not unusual to have ridding points in concrete, but not usually pipes.

It may be an old junction that has been concreted over and covered.

By all means break it up, but be prepared to have to repair the sewer
afterwards. Its not THAT big a deal though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"Graham Jones" wrote in message
While removing earth from my rockery in preparation for building some
steps I have come across a large chunk of concrete. This is unfortunately
in the way and I would like to move it. But I have a feeling it could be a
sewer pipe encased in concrete, does this sound right?

It is on the same alignment between my inspection cover and my neighbours.
Strangely the concrete is above the level of the lawn but about 0.75
meters below the path outside my patio doors. Maybe this is the reason it
is protected in concrete? Or are all sewer pipes built this way?

Thanks,

Graham

Could well be.
Houses where I live built mid 60's have concrete encased sewer pipes where
these are near to the surface but uncased pipes in the subsoil where they
were deeper
When I built a rear extension over the sewer around 1984 I was required to
encase the sewer which was more than a metre down in concrete under the
extension (a later extension in 1991 required the rerouted storm water pipes
to be surrounded by pea gravel)

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TMC wrote:
[...]

Interesting as our house is 1960's. I'm going to redesign the steps to
compensate for it.